Lens, dome etc cleaning and polishing

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
OK, here's another AeroDynic dome restoration.

I did the following steps, a bit different from my previous ones but I think the results are better:

1- Left overs from the "3M headlight kit": P500 followed by P800 grits pads on a hand drill.

2- Wetsanding by hand with 1000, 1500, and 2000 grits sandpaper.

3 Using this kit:

Micro-Mesh Finishing Kit

which contains 6 grits: 2400, 3200, 4000, 6000, 8000, and 12,000 followed by the provided finishing compound.

Finally, I yet have to use some Meguiare's Plast-X and a powerball to finish the buffing.

Here's the results on one side. Yet to complete the other side:

Before:

ai767.photobucket.com_albums_xx311_toon80_NYPD_20AeroDynic_DSCN0360.jpg

After:

[Broken External Image]:http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx311/toon80/NYPD AeroDynic/DSCN0361.jpg

Side-to-side:

ai767.photobucket.com_albums_xx311_toon80_NYPD_20AeroDynic_DSCN0362.jpg

EDIT:

After completion, check this out for the finished results:

http://elightbars.org/forums/f18/my-restored-nypd-aerotwin-24rmvf-2z-19914/

I completed the polishing using mother's Plast-X and a power-ball. I finished it with turtle wax platinum wax, to shine it a little bit more.

Last edited by a moderator:

mixerbd699

May 22, 2010
Fort Worth, Tx
So i've got a question.. after using the 3M kit which worked out pretty well, though i've got a few areas that need some more attention from the 800 grit process. I was wondering if there was anything against using an orbital sander for the process? I've got the exact same P800 grit 3M paper for it. It does not seem to be any different than the drill, in face seems easier

mixerbd699

May 22, 2010
Fort Worth, Tx
After using the 3M kit I found it gave pretty good results. I need to go back and do some touch up with the 800 grit part, but I've got a question. Does anyone see an issue with using an orbital sander over a drill? I've got the exact same p800 grit 3M sand paper that is in the kit for my orbital sander. Just seems like the orbital would be easier and maybe faster than the drill? Any thoughts?

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
I have a split Whelen Corporal dome that has quite a bit of glue residue inside as well as out. Any suggestions would be helpful. I will remove the mounting pins from the dome, so they won't be an issue. Is wet sanding possible in such a small space?

Thanks.

Dan

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
Anyone use Plexus on anything?

I've used it on some faded Excalibur lens' with favorable results. They didn't quite make them new, but it was waaay better then they were. Also took some yellowing off the Unity spotlight.

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
Hoff said:
I've used it on some faded Excalibur lens' with favorable results. They didn't quite make them new, but it was waaay better then they were. Also took some yellowing off the Unity spotlight.

I always use my clay bar on them with soapy water. Then I take a polishing compound to them, then I use plexus to do a final polishing on them, they always have turned out looking brand new.

WPD8908

May 21, 2010
NW Ohio
Hoff said:

Love plexus .. use it all the time ... too bad its been discontinued... I think C3 lenses are the hardest to refurbish, they put some sorta protective coating on them .. when doing a restore I usually end up getting new lenses

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
WPD8908 said:
Love plexus .. use it all the time ... too bad its been discontinued... I think C3 lenses are the hardest to refurbish, they put some sorta protective coating on them .. when doing a restore I usually end up getting new lenses

It's discontinued? I got two cans of it from Adamson Industries 3 weeks ago... :confused:

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
dmathieu said:
I have a split Whelen Corporal dome that has quite a bit of glue residue inside as well as out. Any suggestions would be helpful. I will remove the mounting pins from the dome, so they won't be an issue. Is wet sanding possible in such a small space?
Thanks.

Dan

Dan try Goo Gone to remove access Glue from dome. It will be tedious to do the small domes but its possible. Randy

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
WPD8908 said:

I got a can off amazon not to long ago. I could get 3 or 4 different sizes also if I wanted to.

Mrlunchbox

Jun 12, 2010
Central, MA
What about the Mothers Powerball Headlight Restoration kit... anyone ever use that? If so what were the results? I would assume its very similar to the 3M kit everyone likes on here.

Dpenhaul

Oct 19, 2011
New York City, New York
I wanted to add some advice here.

I bought some polish in autozone. I forgot the name on the container because i threw it out. It was a small orange flat container like a larger wider toothpaste container. It may be call nu finish or swirl something it gets out swirls but it worked awesome on my lightbars....

its a small tube orange with black writing ,,12 bucks or something

turbo350

Oct 23, 2011
LA
No pics, but I've successfully used automotive clear coat for a longer lasting repair. Start with whatever paper you need to cut through all the haze, move up to 1200 grit, dry, clean, and apply two coats of clear. I've never tried rattle can stuff, but catalyzed clear coat works great (Dupont, Valspar, etc). You won't have to polish again either because the clear has better UV protection qualities than the plastic. I've also done it on headlights with great success too.

WPD8908

May 21, 2010
NW Ohio
turbo350 said:
No pics, but I've successfully used automotive clear coat for a longer lasting repair. Start with whatever paper you need to cut through all the haze, move up to 1200 grit, dry, clean, and apply two coats of clear. I've never tried rattle can stuff, but catalyzed clear coat works great (Dupont, Valspar, etc). You won't have to polish again either because the clear has better UV protection qualities than the plastic. I've also done it on headlights with great success too.

Good to know, but If I showed up at Maco for clear coat I think that would be expensive

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
turbo350 said:

OK, I had a little time on my hands today.

When I saw this last night, I thought it might be a good idea to try it out.

I love new ideas on dome clean-up.

I used polishing compound to get the bug juice, bird poop, tar and some oxidation off.

I then used the "rattle can" clear coat.

What do ya think ??

It would be great for work bars. Can't afford to buy new domes but want your domes to look newer.

DomesWithClearCoat.jpg

turbo350

Oct 23, 2011
LA
Looks like it came out pretty good. Make sure it is very clean and sanded with 1200 grit before any clear. Anything less than 1200 and you will see light sand scratches and anything more and loss of adhesion or delamination is possible. If you really want to test something for everyone, take a grey scuff pad and comet, and scrub an old lens down. The comet cleaner and grey scuff pad will leave a very clean and scuffed suface. Then clear coat it. It won't work if there is any damage, but for just haze, I'd bet it works great.

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
If you really want to test something for everyone, take a grey scuff pad and comet, and scrub an old lens down. The comet cleaner and grey scuff pad will leave a very clean and scuffed suface. Then clear coat it. It won't work if there is any damage, but for just haze, I'd bet it works great.

When I get a chance next week, I will do that - to the left dome in the picture. We will compare

the two and I will give an honest evaluation of the process.

I'm betting you have done this before ;)

Pete

turbo350

Oct 23, 2011
LA
The "scuff and shoot" method is used when painting cars (cheap paint jobs), but its really the same premise. Just make sure the lens only has haze, no real damage that needs to be sanded off. If it has damage, it needs sanding, if its just haze, the comet and scuff pad should cut it pretty good and the clear will bring it back. The best part is I think the lens will have a much longer life as most auto clear coats have much better protection qualities than just plastic. I have a had good results with this on headlight lens as well.

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
OK, I did it - but it was about the same result as the right dome.

I'm not real sold on this method unless it's a last resort for a really bad dome.

I do lot's of in the field dome cleaning -- on the vehicle -- as fast as I can -- to keep them in service -- stuff.

I'm going to stay with my Plast-X method.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
I am restoring yet another pair of AeroDynic domes and there were soot marks of some sort inside the dome (hence prohibiting sanding) that wouldn't come off; probably from exhaust and it sticked inside pretty badly. After some Google research , I tried Mr.Clean's Magic Eraser and it worked like a charm.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
I use the janvel 3 step method but I'm going to Novus becuse Janvil wnt out of business. Any why the first thing I do is to wash it in warm water,an i,ve found a new use for the "Magic Eraser and DL hand cleaner it cuts most of the yellow out.and dosn't leave it with scratchs. the clean with mild soap and warm water. dry and the get down to some serious hand rubbing with the componds. if you still have some hazing use the Magic Eraser withe compound cuts it nicely.Then when finishe I use lens clearer you can get free from Walmarts eye center(free refills) the use a orbital buffer for finish. here.s a pic of before. You can See the SD lens and the Signal State lens before cleaning View attachment 20282now here are the 2 lens cleaned.View attachment 20283View attachment 20284Still in process of finshing the other Signal State

ex416

Apr 28, 2011
West Central Wisconsin
has anyone tried what they call dry buffing to remove sanding scratches from lenses where you use cloth type buffing wheels (hand drill or bench grinder type) and bar compounds?

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
yes way to fast will burn into the plastic and the you can toss into the trash and if it's hard to find good luck replacing it. stay away from something that will cause it to heat up. I use a Sears orbital buffer and apply very little pressure.

WPD8908

May 21, 2010
NW Ohio
ex416 said:
has anyone tried what they call dry buffing to remove sanding scratches from lenses where you use cloth type buffing wheels (hand drill or bench grinder type) and bar compounds?

Dry buffing works well .. with skill .. WITH LOTS OF SKILL

WPD8908

May 21, 2010
NW Ohio
ryan81986 said:
Does anyone know if Plastix would be good for yellowed Liberty lenses?

No .. Not the best. plastix has no grit to remove the yellow.. try a rubbing compound first remove the yellow then buff it up with plastix

ryan81986

Apr 13, 2011
Boston, MA
WPD8908 said:
No .. Not the best. plastix has no grit to remove the yellow.. try a rubbing compound first remove the yellow then buff it up with plastix

Bit the bullet and bought the 3M headlight restoration kit. The bar looks brand new now.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.