Official Location based warning law discussion thread

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
foxtrot5 said:
Airhorns and mechanical air horns (I'm guessing you mean electronic) were proposed to NJ in a bill back in '04 or something but it never passed.

For reference, I googled NJ Blue Light Law and the very first link gave me the proposition I was talking about. Again, I'll restate THIS BILL DID NOT PASS therefore can not be used to justify volunteers using airhorns.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2004/bills/a3000/2998_i1.pdf&sa=U&ei=7cJ2UICDI4-m8gTz_YDQCw&ved=0CBsQFjAA&sig2=Kh-wcMhp2YUp92RhM9Yq9A&usg=AFQjCNF4agP4LNAGiA-tY9vAmAiUKjqcog

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
NJ

39:3-54.7 Mounting and operation of emergency warning lights.

1. a. An active member in good standing of any of the following organizations may mount and operate, on a motor vehicle operated by that member, an emergency warning light or lights as provided in P.L.1977, c.223 (C.39:3-54.7 et seq.):

[Broken External Image]:http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/sd42images/tab.gif(1)[Broken External Image]:http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/sd42images/tab.gifa volunteer fire company or a volunteer first aid or rescue squad recognized by and rendering service in any municipality; or

[Broken External Image]:http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/sd42images/tab.gif(2)[Broken External Image]:http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/sd42images/tab.gifany county or municipal volunteer Office of Emergency Management recognized by and rendering service in any county or municipality, provided the member's official duties include responding to a fire or emergency call.

[Broken External Image]:http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/sd42images/tab.gifb.[Broken External Image]:http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/sd42images/tab.gifThe Chief Administrator of the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission shall not require the member to specify on which motor vehicles the emergency warning light or lights may be mounted.

[Broken External Image]:http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/sd42images/tab.gifL.1977,c.223,s.1; amended 1979, c.71, s.1; 1995, c.37, s.1; 2005, c.34, s.2; 2005, c.218, s.1.

39:3-54.8. Time of operation

Emergency warning lights may be operated only while the vehicle is being used in answering a fire or emergency call.

L.1977, c. 223, s. 2, eff. Sept. 16, 1977.

39:3-54.9 Specifications.

3.[Broken External Image]:http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/sd42images/tab.gifEmergency warning lights shall be removable or permanently attached, of the flashing or revolving type, equipped with a blue lens and controlled by a switch installed inside the vehicle or shall be blue of the light bar type, in accordance with the specifications prescribed by the chief administrator.

[Broken External Image]:http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/sd42images/tab.gifL.1977,c.223,s.3; amended 1979, c.71, s.2; 2005, c.218, s.2.

39:3-54.15 Warning lights, sirens on vehicle of volunteer fire, first aid or rescue squad chiefs or officers.

1.[Broken External Image]:http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/sd42images/tab.gifA current chief or first assistant chief of a volunteer fire company, or chief officer of a first aid or rescue squad, recognized by and rendering service in any municipality may mount and operate on a motor vehicle owned by him and registered in his name a red emergency warning light or lights, a siren, or both, as prescribed in P.L.1985, c.171 (C.39:3-54.15 et seq.). The size and type of lights and siren, and the location of their controls, shall be determined by the Chief Administrator of the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission.

[Broken External Image]:http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/sd42images/tab.gifL.1985,c.171,s.1; amended 2005, c.218, s.7.

39:3-54.16. Placement of lights

All red emergency lights shall be mounted on the exterior of the motor vehicle. No more than two red emergency warning lights shall be installed on a vehicle. If one light is used it shall be installed in the center of the roof of the vehicle, or on the left windshield column in a position where a spotlight is normally located. If two lights are used they may be placed on the windshield columns on each side of the vehicle where spotlights are normally mounted, or on either side of the roof at the front of the vehicle directly back of the top of the windshield. Under no circumstances may one light be placed on the roof and one on a windshield column in the spotlight position. They shall be operated only while the vehicle is being used by the registered owner chief or first assistant chief in answering a fire or emergency call.

L. 1985, c. 171, s. 2, eff. May 31, 1985.

39:3-54.17. Siren mounting, operation

All sirens shall be mounted under the hood of the motor vehicle and shall be operated only while the vehicle is being used by the registered owner chief or first assistant chief in answering a fire or emergency call.

L. 1985, c. 171, s. 3, eff. May 31, 1985.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Thanks John, was just digging through Title 39 looking for it. Been a while since I've had to reference it specifically.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Title updated.... all locations are invited to continue adding to the archive here. I never intended to exclude non-US members.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Let's hear it for Spain, where ambulances and fire trucks have the exact same warning lights as tow trucks and construction equipment!

...Anybody? No?

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
ryan81986 said:
RED:

General Laws: CHAPTER 90, Section 7E. No motor vehicle operated pursuant to section seven other than fire apparatus, ambulances, school buses, vehicles specified in section seven D used for transporting school children, and vehicles specified in section seven I shall mount or display a flashing, rotating or oscillating red light in any direction, except as herein provided; provided, however, that nothing in this section shall prohibit an official police vehicle from displaying a flashing, rotating or oscillating red light in the opposite direction in which the vehicle is proceeding or prohibit fire apparatus from displaying a flashing, rotating or oscillating blue light in the opposite direction in which the vehicle is proceeding.

A vehicle owned or operated by a forest warden, deputy forest warden, a chief or deputy chief of a municipal fire department, a chaplain of a municipal fire department, a member of a fire department of a town or a call member of a fire department or a member or a call member of an emergency medical service may have mounted thereon flashing, rotating or oscillating red lights. Such lights shall only be displayed when such owner or operator is proceeding to a fire or in response to an alarm and when the official duty of such owner or operator requires him to proceed to said fire or to respond to said alarm, and at no other time.

No such red light shall be mounted or displayed on such vehicle until proper application has been made to the registrar by the head of the fire department and a written permit has been issued and delivered to the owner and operator. In the event that the operator is not the registered owner of the vehicle, no permit shall be issued until said owner forwards to the registrar a written statement certifying that he has knowledge that such red light will be mounted and displayed on said vehicle.

Any person operating a vehicle upon which flashing, rotating or oscillating red lights herein authorized are mounted shall have the permit for said lights upon his person or in the vehicle in some easily accessible place. Upon termination of the duties which warranted the issuance of the permit, the head of the fire department shall immediately notify the registrar who shall forthwith revoke such red light permit. Upon the written request of the chief of police or chief of fire of the town in which such permitted vehicle is registered, the registrar may revoke such permit. The registrar shall revoke such permit for the unauthorized use of such red lights and the owner and operator shall be subject to a fine as hereinafter provided.

Upon revocation, the registrar of motor vehicles shall notify forthwith the owner and operator of the vehicle for which such permit was issued and the head of the police department and fire department of the town in which his original permit was issued.

BLUE

General Laws: CHAPTER 90, Section 7E

No motor vehicle or trailer except (i) a vehicle used solely for official business by any police department of the commonwealth or its political subdivisions or by any railroad police department or college or university police department whose officers are appointed as special state police officers by the colonel of state police pursuant to section sixty-three of chapter twenty-two C and subject to such special rules and regulations applicable to such college or university police department as the registrar may prescribe, (ii) a vehicle owned and operated by a police officer of any town or any agency of the commonwealth while on official duty and when authorized by the officer’s police chief or agency head and only by authority of a permit issued by the registrar, (iii) a vehicle operated by a duly appointed medical examiner or a physician or surgeon attached to a police department of any city or town only while on official duty and only by authority of a permit issued by the registrar, (iv) a vehicle operated by a police commissioner of a police department of any city only while on official duty and only by authority of a permit issued by the registrar, (v) a vehicle actually being used for the transportation of persons who are under arrest, or in lawful custody under authority of any court, or committed to penal or mental institutions, and only by authority of a permit issued by the registrar, (vi) a vehicle operated by a chaplain of a municipal police department while on official duty and only by authority of a permit issued by the registrar shall mount or display a flashing, rotating or oscillating blue light in any direction. No motor vehicle, as hereinbefore provided, requiring a permit from the registrar, shall mount or display a blue light on such vehicle until proper application has been made to the registrar by the head of the police department and such written permit has been issued and delivered to the owner and operator. Such notice shall include the place of residence and address of the owner and operator of the vehicle for which such permit is issued and the name of the make, vehicle identification number and the registration number of the vehicle for which such permit authorizes the display of blue lights. Any person operating a vehicle upon which blue lights have been authorized to be mounted or displayed, by permit, shall carry such permit for said lights upon his person or in the vehicle in some easily accessible place. Upon termination of the duties of such person which warranted the issuance of the permit, the chief of police shall immediately notify the registrar, who shall forthwith revoke such blue light permit. Upon the written request of the chief of police of the town in which such permitted vehicle is registered the registrar may revoke such permit. The registrar shall revoke such permit for the unauthorized use of such blue lights and the owner and operator shall be subject to a fine as hereinafter provided. Upon revocation, the registrar of motor vehicles shall notify forthwith the owner and operator of the vehicle for which such permit was issued and the head of the police department of the city or town in which such permitted vehicle is registered. Upon receipt of his notice of revocation, such owner and operator shall forthwith deliver such blue light permit to the registrar and he shall not be eligible for reissuance of such permit without consent of the head of the police department of the town in which his original permit was issued. Nothing in this section shall authorize any owner or operator to disregard or violate any statute, ordinance, by-law, rule or regulation regarding motor vehicles or their use on ways of the commonwealth. The registrar may also make such rules and regulations governing or prohibiting the display of such other lights on motor vehicles as he may deem necessary for public safety.

Any person who violates any provision of this section for which a penalty is not otherwise provided shall be subject to a fine of not less than one hundred dollars, nor more than three hundred dollars.

AMBER

540 CMR 22.06: Mounting and Display of Amber and Other Colored Lights

(1) No person shall mount or display a flashing, rotating or oscillating amber light on a motor vehicle operated on the way, except as provided in 540 CMR 22.06.

(2) Flashing, rotating or oscillating amber light(s) may be mounted and displayed on:

(a) motor vehicles used for emergency or service purposes operated by members or employees of an auxiliary police force, charitable organizations, private burglar alarm companies, private detective and private security agencies, agencies of the Commonwealth or its politicalsubdivisions, persons and garages providing motorists assistance services or towing services, public and private utility companies for emergency or service purposes, persons and companies that are transporting human blood or organs for emergency purposes, oxygen, explosives or other hazardous materials;

( B) motor vehicles that have the owner's name displayed so as to be plainly visible from each side or from the front and rear of the motor vehicle, and which are actually engaged in the performance of a service, public or private, where the display of such lights would be in the best interest of public safety; and

© such other motor vehicles as authorized by written permit of the Registrar, which shall be carried by the operator upon his or her person or in the vehicle in some easily accessible place.

No person shall mount or display any flashing, rotating or oscillating light of any color other than

amber, except blue and red lights as provided in M.G.L. c. 90, § 7E, unless by written permit of the Registrar, which shall be carried by the operator upon his or her person or in the vehicle, in some easily accessible place.

(3) The Registrar may order the removal of any colored light, including amber, at anytime he deems necessary, upon written notice to the registrant, with a copy to the chief of police where said motor vehicle is principally garaged. Any registrant so notified, who fails to remove such colored lights, and who operates or permits the operation of such lights on the public way, shall be in violation of the Registrar's rules and regulations as provided in M.G.L. c. 90, §20.

GREEN

I don't know the law exactly but I believe it is illegal for anything other than incident command

SIRENS

General Laws: CHAPTER 90, Section 16

"No siren shall be mounted upon any motor vehicle except fire apparatus, ambulances, vehicles used in official line of duty by any member of the police or fire fighting forces of the commonwealth or any agency or political subdivision thereof, and vehicles owned by call fire fighters or by persons with police powers and operated in official line of duty, unless authorized by the registrar. "

PURPLE H.3390, NOT CURRENTLY LAW

A vehicle either owned or leased by a funeral home establishment, a licensed or registered certified funeral director, or a livery company and operated by a funeral director, an employee or an independent contractor of a funeral home may have mounted thereon flashing, rotating or oscillating purple/violet, amber and or clear/white lights. Such vehicle may have alternating flashing headlights and fog lights, and display a flashing, rotating or oscillating red light in the opposite direction in which the vehicle is proceeding facing rearward on the vehicle. Such lights shall only be illuminated when such owner or operator is proceeding in a funeral procession as defined in chapter 310 of the Acts of 2010, or responding to a fatality on behalf of the Chief Medical Examiner’s Office and at no other time. A permit for the vehicle or use of said lights shall not be required from the Registrar of Motor Vehicles.

All vehicles in a funeral procession may display the vehicle hazard warning signals.

Do you have any idea what the law is on WHITE lights, seems that no matter where I look I cannot find any info on that color.

May 10, 2012
New England
FusionWolf said:
Do you have any idea what the law is on WHITE lights, seems that no matter where I look I cannot find any info on that color.

(Note: I have not been a MA LEO in over five years) There used to be a brochure available on CJISWEB that detailed the regulations for each color; your answer would be found there. If you know someone who has CJIS access, perhaps ask if they could print it out for you.

If you need an answer quickly, two of the gentlemen who put said brochure together are members who visit daily on this forum. You can post to "Ask A Cop" over there and get your info.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Lektricman said:
They use this because it is a light indicating to drivers in front to either pull over or to move out of the way.

There is a vehicle code were every emergency vehicle has to have atleast one red steady burn light visible up to 1000ft.

What I'd like to know is about the law Ebay throws at everyone when they cancel bids on sirens, etc., that they claim forbids ownership of lights and sirens by private citizens in CA. They use this to deny purchase by anyone...CA or anywhere else.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
yeah I just had one canseled and relisted with domes off

But someone else has 3 of the samething on there yet.

probaly called it in because mine was cheaper.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Jared @ 911Lights said:
I'm not clear on who the "horses' butts" are?

Sorry, Jared. I was refering to the idiots who consider themselves the "Ebay police" and who cancel anything that is considered current law enforcement equipment, which includes lightbars and sirens, especially recent electronics. Most lights with red lenses or domes get kicked off. The only way you can slide some of them by is by listing them as "vintage" or "antique". That works with Interceptors and Directors,etc., but something like a PA300, since they're still being marketed, would get tossed off.

I saw a Carson SA450 on there last week, and it was listed as vintage, but it's gone again already.

As I mentioned in my previous post, they try to claim that it is illegal for "private citizens" to own or possess lights and sirens. Guess they've never been to a PCS or PCI meet!

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
Skip Goulet said:
Sorry, Jared. I was refering to the idiots who consider themselves the "Ebay police" and who cancel anything that is considered current law enforcement equipment, which includes lightbars and sirens, especially recent electronics. Most lights with red lenses or domes get kicked off. The only way you can slide some of them by is by listing them as "vintage" or "antique". That works with Interceptors and Directors,etc., but something like a PA300, since they're still being marketed, would get tossed off.
I saw a Carson SA450 on there last week, and it was listed as vintage, but it's gone again already.

As I mentioned in my previous post, they try to claim that it is illegal for "private citizens" to own or possess lights and sirens. Guess they've never been to a PCS or PCI meet!

In Michigan, it is illegal for a person, unless authorized by law, to possess flashing, oscillating, or rotating lights. There are no exceptions for antique vehicles except for sirens, horns and/or whistles. Ebay is a private company and they can restrict what ever they want. They have been sued and lost over improper possession and use of this type of equipment that was tracked to Ebay sales. What did everyone do before Ebay?

Nov 29, 2011
UK
nerdly_dood said:
....UK stuff...

Few things not quite correct on that site. Legally as long as you can jusify fire/police/ambulance/other listed agencies purposes then you can use blue lights. Retained Firefighters (we have no volunteer firefighters, we have paid on call) could quite legally justify fitting lights/sirens to their vehicles as they would easily fit 'fire purposes', it is simply a policy decision by the local fire brigade that says they are not permitted to fit them. Alot of fire services permit officers of a certain rank to use their own/leased vehicles to respond from home (officers in the rank of station manager up to the brigade manager) and will provide them the most basic of equipment to do this (a mag strobe and a siren). The same for coastguard volunteers from home, they are legally allowed but it is often a policy decision that says no.

The whole blue light regulations IMHO are a bit of a mess, the fitting of lights is one piece of legislation, exceeding the speed limits is another piece (they do not relate, you do not need lights to exceed the speed limit - the speed limit covers fire/police/ambulance only), red lights/keep left signs are another piece of legislation etc.

The odd thing is that doctors are meant to have green courtesy lights (so little used I have only ever seen one or two in my life) and are not authorised to exceed the speed limit but what happens when the doctor is rung by the ambulance service to attend an incident (like

)? They can justify ambulance purposes and as such have blue lights and exceed the speed limit. Organ/blood transportation? Can have blue lights but not exceed the speed limit/go through red traffic lights as the law for speed limit does not cover blood transportation (only ambulance/fire/police). Bomb disposal, provided in the UK by the military (Joint EOD between Army/RAF/Royal Navy) have vehicles with blue lights but nowhere is it mentioned they are allowed to exceed the speed limit - however when they are rung by the police to attend an incident they take that as 'police purposes' and exceed the speed limit.

Need one bit of law to cover everything in one place and make it easy for everyone.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Skip Goulet said:
What did you have listed?

Fisrt that SA450 you saw was mine and second that was my reconditioned aerodynic.

Saw 3 that were in bad shape for 225.00 so I listed mine for 150.00 +30.00 shipping had 4 people watching before it got pulled.

Now it's back up with the domes off. and only have one watching and I think the others are still there.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
badge22 said:
In Michigan, it is illegal for a person, unless authorized by law, to possess flashing, oscillating, or rotating lights. There are no exceptions for antique vehicles except for sirens, horns and/or whistles. Ebay is a private company and they can restrict what ever they want. They have been sued and lost over improper possession and use of this type of equipment that was tracked to Ebay sales. What did everyone do before Ebay?

I"m surprised to hear that about MI, as there are a lot of PCS members in MI who have old ambulances that are fully equipped with lights and sirens; and they are well used when they have their Code 3 parades. About before Ebay? That's simple: you could buy what you want where you wanted to and no one had anything to say about it.

I can understand certain states or municipalities restricting the use of lights and sirens, but to forbid ownership or possession thereof violates one's constitutional rights, and the courts have said so. Here in Texas, volunteers are almost required to have lights and sirens. The almost means that if they respond to a fire or ems emergency and need to exceed the speed limit, etc., they may do so, but they have to have red lights AND sirens. Responding lights only is no longer allowed in Texas. One time a kid that I knew got stopped for speeding and the cop spotted an old 6-volt siren lying in his back floorboard. The siren was confiscated, with the cop saying that it was illegal for a private citizen (much less a high school kid) to own or posses such an item. The kid's dad happened to be attorney and he had a "field day" with the police dept when he took them to court. Texas has never had such a law, and the judge even commented that such a restriction would violate one's civil rights.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
chief1565 said:
Fisrt that SA450 you saw was mine and second that was my reconditioned aerodynic.

Saw 3 that were in bad shape for 225.00 so I listed mine for 150.00 +30.00 shipping had 4 people watching before it got pulled.

Now it's back up with the domes off. and only have one watching and I think the others are still there.

Are you going to relist the Carson siren? I had the SVP version of the SA450, which Carson built for SVP until Star took them over. Now Star/SVP builds their own.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Jared @ 911Lights said:
Sorry to play devil's advocate...

As I said, there are at least two states that restrict possession. Preemption for instance, while not restricted in possession, is sale-restricted and use-restricted by Federal Law (SAFETEA-LU). While there is a constitutional right to bear arms, there is no right to bear emergency warning equipment. If there is a high potential for misuse, states (and municipalities) have jurisdiction to ban possession, look at drug paraphernalia for instance.

This is a separate issue of a LEO overstepping when a law is not in-place, it does not speak to the enforceablity of an enacted law.

-Jared

I like your comment about enforceability, and it's a good point. But there are some laws which go beyond enforcement, and which some people might consider ridiculous. For instance, around 1995, a federal law was inacted that forbids anyone smoking around minors under the age of 12. Why 12 as a cut-off age? But from what I read in the paper back then, the law was supposed to be far-reaching enough that it included not only public places, but private as well. Hard to enforce, but I saw it done once. I used to eat regularly at a cafeteria close to home when I worked 12-hr days and just didn't want to cook, and then I sat in the no-smoking section. Because of new local regs a few years ago the place is now totally non-smoking.....thank goodness! Anyway, one night I was having supper and noticed a family come in with the oldest of the 3 or 4 kids being about 10. They went into the smoking section. And I thought to myself that they didn't know about the new law.....or just didn't care. Well, there was a guy dressed in a western-style suit seated across from me; and while he didn't appear to be wearing a badge or gun, he had "cop" written all over him. Sure enough, when the parents had finished eating the dad went to light a cigarette. This guy was out of his seat and over to their table in a flash. He identified himself as a deputy US marshall, and then politely explained why the guy couldn't smoke around his kids....period (anywhere, any time). The dad went ballistic, and even moreso the more the deputy tried to explain the law. Finally the deputy had enough. He yanked the guy out of his chair, and onto the floor. He was handcuffed and led out by local cops whom the cafeteria had called when the situation had begun to escillate. Now, I never heard one way or the other how it turned out. But I'm sure the law has never been enforced to any particular degree. Since I'm very anti-smoking, that law tickles me to no end, but imagine the opposition. :eek:

High_Order1

Sep 24, 2010
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Well,

Here are my interpretations of current Tennessee State Law. I woulda made it pretty, but I don't have HTML privileges...

My (limited) Opinion:

Clear / White:

Flashing:

Not ok to the front in conjunction with a yellow unless you fall under one of the exceptions

Not ok in conjunction with a flashing red unless you fall under one of the exceptions

Not ok in conjunction with a flashing blue unless you fall under one of the exceptions

Probably not ok to the rear

Not ok to the left side

Continuous:

Ok to the rear for the purpose of indicating you are backing up

Ok to the front for the purpose of illumination (headlamps)

Blue:

Law only speaks to flashing blue. Absence of a law regulating it means it's ok. This is how all the blue undercarriage and windshield washer fluid nozzles are getting away with it.

Flashing blue:

No permito in conjunction with red unless law enforcement

Ok for Constables in very narrowly defined circumstances

Ok for full-time, salaried municipal, city, county, and state Law Enforcement Officers IN UNIFORM

Ok for commissioned members of the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation when their official duties so require

Ok for reserve or auxiliary deputy sheriffs duly authorized by the sheriff and appointed pursuant to title 8, chapter 20. These reserve or auxiliary officers must be operating departmental vehicles and shall be in uniform and carry appropriate identification issued by the sheriff.

Ok for specially commissioned police officers employed pursuant to § 49-7-118(f) when operating either within five (5) miles of any property owned or operated by the colleges or universities referenced therein, or as may be directed by the chief law enforcement officer of the applicable county.

Ok for reserve or auxiliary police officers duly authorized by the police chief and qualified pursuant to title 38, chapter 8. The reserve or auxiliary officers must operate departmental vehicles and shall be in uniform and carry appropriate identification issued by the police chief.

Green:

Only mentioned one time that I can find, lawful by statute on a motorcycle used in a funeral procession. Absence of a law regulating it otherwise means it's ok.

Purple / Magenta:

No mention in the statutes that I can find. Therefore, absence of a law regulating it at all means it's ok.

Red:

Ok to the rear, flashing or steady for all vehicles.

Ok solo or in combination with clear / white for Emergency Rescue Vehicles under the Rescue Squad

Ok solo or in combination with clear / white for privately owned firefighter vehicles IF they slap 3" tall "Emergency Rescue Vehicle" logos on the sides

Ok for authorized law enforcement vehicles ONLY in combination with a flashing blue light

Ok for Rural mail carriers

Not ok to the front unless you are one of the exceptions

Ok for emergency vehicles used in firefighting, including ambulances, emergency vehicles used in firefighting that are owned or operated by the division of forestry, firefighting vehicles, rescue vehicles, or other emergency vehicles used in firefighting owned, operated, or subsidized by the governing body of any county or municipality.

Amber / Yellow:

Either ok or not ok for funeral processions, depending on which state law you're reading.

Ok for Organ Transport Vehicles

Ok for Wrecker when wrecking

Ok for Highway Maintenance Vehicles (broadly defined to also include sewer, telephone, utilities natural gas and water)

Ok for School Buses

Ok for Rural Mail Carriers (which means not ok for urban ones)

Ok for authorized law enforcement vehicles ONLY when used in combination with a flashing blue light,

Ok for Ambulances

Ok for any vehicle providing Emergency Medical Services

Ok for Emergency Rescue Vehicles used by the Rescue Squad

Ok for Civil Defense Emergency Vehicles with the appropriate markings (which, Civil Defense doesn't exist anymore)

Ok for emergency vehicles used in firefighting, including ambulances,

Ok for emergency vehicles used in firefighting that are owned or operated by the division of forestry,

Ok for firefighting vehicles, rescue vehicles, privately owned vehicles of regular or volunteer firefighters certified in § 55-9-201©, or other emergency vehicles used in firefighting owned, operated, or subsidized by the governing body of any county or municipality.

Ok for Drivers' Ed cars

And

That's it. Anything else is a Class C Misdemeanor. This means to me a vehicle with four way flashers or turn signals that are amber to the front (as required by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) is in violation.

Locations:

All of the above is irrelevant if:

You install or operate or emergency flashing light systems such as strobe, wig-wag, or other flashing lights in tail light lamp, stoplight area, or factory installed emergency flasher and backup light area (this doesn't include those brake flashers that strobe for a few seconds when you hit the brakes);

You install or operate emergency flashing light systems, such as strobe, wig-wag, or other flashing lights within the headlight assembly or grill area of the vehicle;

AND

Are not an emergency vehicle.

ALSO

-Wreckers are specifically disallowed mounting flashing lights in the above locations

-Drivers' Ed vehicles are specifically disallowed mounting flashing lights in the above locations, PLUS cannot have the lamp in the drivers' line of sight.

-A school bus may operate a flashing, wig-wag lighting system within the headlight assembly of the vehicle ONLY when the vehicle's visual stop signs are actuated for receiving or discharging school children.

Fog / Aux lamps:

You can only be stopped by a Highway Patrolman to inspect these for glare. Auxiliary road lighting lamps may be used, but not more than two (2) of the lamps shall be lighted at any one (1) time in addition to the two (2) required headlights.

HID / Blue headlamps:

Falls under 'dazzling' laws (officer discretion). Can only have a maximum of four headlamps, divided evenly on each side.

Lights for Illumination to the rear:

Not ok when in motion, not ok if they blind the roadway while you're stopped.

Sirens / PA:

-Public Address may be regulated as a noise producing device, or amplification ordinances aimed towards buskers and street preachers

-Exhaust, Compression and Spark Plug Whistles are listed as an emergency only item (really)

-So are bells.

-Siren is listed as an emergency only item, but then never defines what a siren is. That wah tone from ghostbusters? A cat? Doesn't say.

-Airhorn, whether air or electric, doesn't appear to be addressed

So, what IS an Authorized Emergency Vehicle?

means vehicles of the fire department, fire patrol, police vehicles or bicycles and emergency vehicles that are designated or authorized by the commissioner or the chief of police of an incorporated city, and vehicles operated by commissioned members of the Tennessee bureau of investigation when on official business;

means vehicles owned by regular or volunteer firefighters in any county with a population of not less than thirty-two thousand seven hundred fifty (32,750) nor more than thirty-two thousand eight hundred (32,800), according to the 1980 federal census or any subsequent federal census, when the vehicles are used in responding to a fire alarm or other emergency call;

means every ambulance and emergency medical vehicle operated by any emergency medical service licensed by the department of health pursuant to title 68, chapter 140, part 3;

and, finally means every rescue vehicle or emergency response vehicle owned and operated by a state-chartered rescue squad, emergency lifesaving crew or active member unit of the Tennessee Association of Rescue Squads.

That's it.

Shawn

High_Order1

Sep 24, 2010
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
And, I back it up with this: for you to peruse!

Title 55 Motor and Other Vehicles

Chapter 8 Operation of Vehicles -- Rules of the Road

Part 1 Operation of Vehicles -- Rules of the Road

Tenn. Code Ann. § 55-8-183 (2012)

55-8-183. Funeral processions.

(a) Funeral processions properly identified by a flashing amber light on the lead vehicle, or identified as a police escort, where the vehicle has visual signals and is equipped with or displays an amber light accompanied by a blue light visible from the front of the vehicle, or led by a properly identified escort, shall have the right-of-way on any street, highway, or road through which they may pass, subject to the following provisions:

( B) Motorcycle escorts of properly identified funeral processions may:

(1) Notwithstanding § 55-8-182© or any other law to the contrary, operate a motorcycle between lanes of traffic or between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles;

(2) Notwithstanding § 55-9-201 or any other provision of law to the contrary, install a bell, siren, or exhaust whistle of a type approved by the sheriff of the county in which the motorcycle is to be operated; provided, that the system is deactivated at all times the motorcycle is not escorting a properly identified funeral procession; and

(3) Notwithstanding § 55-9-402 or any other law to the contrary, install a green strobe flashing light system of a type approved by the sheriff of the county in which the motorcycle is to be operated; provided, that the system is deactivated at all times the motorcycle is not escorting a properly identified funeral procession.

(3) For purposes of this subsection ©, to be a "properly identified" funeral procession, the procession must be indicated by a flashing amber light and a auditory signaling device mounted on the lead vehicle or by other properly identified escort, and a flag or other appropriate marking device on each vehicle in the procession indicating that the vehicle is part of the funeral procession.

TENNESSEE CODE ANNOTATED

© 2012 by The State of Tennessee

All rights reserved

*** Current through the 2012 Regular Session ***

Chapter 9 Equipment -- Lighting Regulations

Part 4 Lighting Regulations

Tenn. Code Ann. § 55-9-402 (2012)

55-9-402. Lights required on motor vehicles -- Exceptions -- Regulations as to color, type and visibility distance.

(a) (1) Every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, road roller, road machinery or farm tractor shall be equipped with at least two (2) and not more than four (4) headlights, with at least one (1) on each side of the front of the motor vehicle. No nonemergency vehicle shall operate or install emergency flashing light systems, such as strobe, wig-wag, or other flashing lights within the headlight assembly or grill area of the vehicle; provided, however, that a school bus may operate a flashing, wig-wag lighting system within the headlight assembly of the vehicle when the vehicle's visual stop signs are actuated for receiving or discharging school children.

(2) Auxiliary road lighting lamps may be used, but not more than two (2) of the lamps shall be lighted at any one (1) time in addition to the two (2) required headlights.

(3) No spotlight or auxiliary lamp shall be so aimed upon approaching another vehicle that any part of the high intensity portion of the beam therefrom is directed beyond the left side of the motor vehicle upon which the spotlight or auxiliary lamp is mounted, nor more than one hundred feet (100') ahead of the motor vehicle.

( B) (1) Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with two (2) red tail lamps and two (2) red stoplights on the rear of the vehicle, and one (1) tail lamp and one (1) stoplight shall be on each side, except that passenger cars manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1939, trucks manufactured or assembled prior to January 1, 1968, and motorcycles and motor-driven cycles shall have at least one (1) red tail lamp and one (1) red stoplight. No non-emergency vehicle shall operate or install emergency flashing light systems such as strobe, wig-wag, or other flashing lights in tail light lamp, stoplight area, or factory installed emergency flasher and backup light area; provided, however, that the foregoing prohibition shall not apply to the utilization of a continuously flashing light system. For the purposes of this part, "continuously flashing light system" means a brake light system in which the brake lamp pulses rapidly for no more than five (5) seconds when the brake is applied, and then converts to a continuous light as a normal brake lamp until the time that the brake is released.

(2) The stoplight shall be so arranged as to be actuated by the application of the service or foot brake and shall be capable of being seen and distinguished from a distance of one hundred feet (100') to the rear of a motor vehicle in normal daylight, but shall not project a glaring or dazzling light.

(3) The stoplight may be incorporated with the tail lamp.

(4) Motor vehicle tail light lamps may operate as following:

(A) A white backup light operates when the motor vehicle is in reverse;

( B) When the driver is in a panic stop condition going forward, the backup lamp pulses or flashes red; and

© Upon normal stops of the motor vehicle, there is no action by the backup light.

© Each lamp and stoplight required in this section shall be in good condition and operational.

(d) (1) Except as provided in this section, no vehicle operated in this state shall be equipped with any flashing white or amber lights or any combination of white and amber lights that display to the front of the vehicle except a passenger motor vehicle operated by an organ procurement organization or a person under an agreement with an organ procurement organization when transporting an organ for human transplantation. No vehicle operated in this state shall be equipped with any flashing red or white light or any combination of red or white lights that displays to the front of the vehicle except school buses, a passenger motor vehicle operated by a rural mail carrier of the United States postal service while performing the duties of a rural mail carrier, authorized law enforcement vehicles only when used in combination with a flashing blue light, and emergency vehicles used in firefighting, including ambulances, emergency vehicles used in firefighting that are owned or operated by the division of forestry, firefighting vehicles, rescue vehicles, privately owned vehicles of regular or volunteer firefighters certified in § 55-9-201©, or other emergency vehicles used in firefighting owned, operated, or subsidized by the governing body of any county or municipality.

(2) Any emergency rescue vehicle owned, titled and operated by a state chartered rescue squad, a member of the Tennessee Association of Rescue Squads, privately owned vehicles of regular or volunteer firefighters certified in § 55-9-201©, and marked with lettering at least three inches (3'') in size and displayed on the left and right sides of the vehicle designating it an "Emergency Rescue Vehicle," any authorized civil defense emergency vehicle displaying the appropriate civil defense agency markings of at least three inches (3''), and any ambulance or vehicle equipped to provide emergency medical services properly licensed as required in the state and displaying the proper markings, shall also be authorized to be lighted in one (1) or more of the following manners:

(A) A red or red/white visibar type with public address system;

( B) A red or red/white oscillating type light; and

© Blinking red or red/white lights, front and rear.

(3) Any vehicle other than a highway maintenance or utility vehicle, or a passenger motor vehicle operated by an organ procurement organization or a person under an agreement with an organ procurement organization when transporting an organ for human transplantation, authorized by this section to display flashing white or amber lights or white and amber lights, or any vehicle, other than a school bus, a passenger motor vehicle operated by a rural mail carrier of the United States postal service while performing the duties of a rural mail carrier or an emergency vehicle authorized by this section to display flashing red or red/white lights, or authorized law enforcement vehicles using red, white, and blue lights in combination, that displays any such lights shall be considered in violation of this subsection (d).

(e) (1) (A) Notwithstanding any law to the contrary, nothing in this section shall prohibit a highway maintenance or utility vehicle, or any other type vehicle or equipment participating, in any fashion, with highway or utility construction, maintenance, or inspection, from operating a white, amber, or white and amber light system on any location on the vehicle or equipment while the vehicle or equipment is parked upon, entering or leaving any highway or utility construction, maintenance, repair or inspection site.

( B) Notwithstanding any law to the contrary, a recovery vehicle designed for towing a disabled vehicle, as defined in § 55-8-132, while in the performance of duties involved with towing an abandoned, immobile, disabled or unattended motor vehicle is authorized to display an amber light that is a strobe, flashing, oscillating or revolving system or any combination of white and amber lights. Such authorized light or lights may be displayed on any location on the vehicle or equipment, other than within the headlight assembly or grill area of the vehicle, in the tail light lamp or stoplight area, or factory installed emergency flasher and backup light area.

(2) As used in this subsection (e), "utility" means any person, municipality, county, metropolitan government, cooperative, board, commission, district, or any entity created or authorized by public act, private act, or general law to provide electricity, natural gas, water, waste water services, telephone service, or any combination thereof, for sale to consumers in any particular service area.

(3) As used in subdivision (e)(2), "cooperative" means any cooperative providing utility services including, but not limited to, electric or telephone services, or both.

(4) Nothing in this subsection (e) imposes any duty or obligation to install or utilize the lighting systems allowed in this section.

(f) Notwithstanding any law to the contrary, nothing in this section shall prohibit a motor vehicle used for the driver education and training course for Class D vehicles as provided by § 55-50-322(f) from operating an amber light-emitting diode (LED) light system on the front and rear of such vehicle other than in the taillight lamp, stoplight area, or factory-installed emergency flasher and backup light area. The amber light-emitting diode light system shall not be placed in the driver's line of sight. Nothing in this subsection (f) imposes any duty or obligation to install or utilize the lighting system allowed in this subsection (f).

(g) A violation of this section is a Class C misdemeanor.

Tenn. Code Ann. § 55-8-108 (2012)

55-8-108. Authorized emergency vehicles.

(a) The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle, when responding to an emergency call, or when in the pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law, or when responding to but not upon returning from a fire alarm, may exercise the privileges set forth in this section, but subject to the conditions stated in this section.

( B) (1) A driver of an authorized emergency vehicle operating the vehicle in accordance with subsection (a) may:

(A) Park or stand, notwithstanding other provisions of this chapter that regulate parking or standing;

( B) Proceed past a red or stop signal or stop sign, but only after slowing down as may be necessary for safe operation;

© Exceed the speed limits so long as life or property is not thereby endangered; and

(D) Disregard regulations governing direction of movement or turning in specified directions.

(2) Subdivision ( B) (1) shall not relieve the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons, nor shall subdivision ( B) (1) protect the driver from the consequences of the driver's own reckless disregard for the safety of others.

© (1) The exemptions granted under subsection ( B) to a driver of an authorized emergency vehicle shall only apply when the vehicle is making use of audible and visual signals meeting the requirements of the applicable laws of this state, except that while parked or standing, an authorized emergency vehicle shall only be required to make use of visual signals meeting the requirements of the applicable laws of this state.

(2) Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the driver of an authorized emergency vehicle, while parked or standing, from making use of both audible and visual signals meeting the requirements of the applicable laws of this state, in the discretion of the driver.

(d) An authorized emergency vehicle operated as a police vehicle may be equipped with or display a red light only in combination with a blue light visible from in front of the vehicle.

(e) Notwithstanding the requirement of this section that drivers of authorized emergency vehicles exercise due regard for the safety of all persons, no municipality or county nor the state or any of its political subdivisions, nor their officers or employees, shall be liable for any injury proximately or indirectly caused to an actual or suspected violator of a law or ordinance who is fleeing pursuit by law enforcement personnel. The fact that law enforcement personnel pursue an actual or suspected violator of a law or ordinance who flees from pursuit shall not render the law enforcement personnel, or the employers of the law enforcement personnel, liable for injuries to a third party proximately caused by the fleeing party unless the conduct of the law enforcement personnel was negligent and that negligence was a proximate cause of the injuries to the third party.

55-9-414. Blue flashing emergency lights on motor vehicles unlawful -- Exception -- Penalty.

(a) (1) Except as provided in subsections ( B) -(e), it is unlawful for anyone to install, maintain or exhibit blue flashing emergency lights or blue flashing emergency lights in combination with red flashing emergency lights, except full-time, salaried, uniformed law enforcement officers of the state, county, or city and municipal governments of the state, and commissioned members of the Tennessee bureau of investigation when their official duties so require as defined by §§ 38-8-106 and 38-8-107.

(2) A violation of subdivision (a)(1) is a Class C misdemeanor.

( B) (1) The prohibition in subsection (a) does not apply to the motor vehicles of constables who are wearing law enforcement uniforms designated by the governing body of the county in which they serve in those counties in which the constables retain law enforcement powers and duties under §§ 8-10-108, 39-17-505, 40-6-210, 55-8-152, 57-5-202 and 57-9-101.

(2) Subdivision ( B) (1) shall apply only to those counties having a population of: Click here to view image.

according to the 1970 federal census or any subsequent federal census.

© The prohibition of subsection (a) does not apply to official motor vehicles of the sheriff's department being operated by reserve or auxiliary deputy sheriffs duly authorized by the sheriff and appointed pursuant to title 8, chapter 20. These reserve or auxiliary officers operating departmental vehicles shall be in uniform and carry appropriate identification issued by the sheriff.

(d) The prohibition of subsection (a) does not apply to motor vehicles of specially commissioned police officers employed pursuant to § 49-7-118(f) when operating either within five (5) miles of any property owned or operated by the colleges or universities referenced therein, or as may be directed by the chief law enforcement officer of the applicable county.

(e) The prohibition of subsection (a) does not apply to official motor vehicles of a municipal police department being operated by reserve or auxiliary police officers duly authorized by the police chief and qualified pursuant to title 38, chapter 8. The reserve or auxiliary officers operating departmental vehicles shall be in uniform and carry appropriate identification issued by the police chief.

HISTORY: Acts 1967, ch. 297, §§ 1, 2 (T.C.A. (supp.), § 50-949); Acts 1978, ch. 819, §§ 1, 2; T.C.A., § 59-932; Acts 1985, ch. 182, §§ 1, 2; 1989, ch. 173, § 4; 1989, ch. 591, § 113; 1991, ch. 9, § 6; 1992, ch. 560, § 1; 1993, ch. 471, §§ 1, 4; 1996, ch. 675, § 65; 2001, ch. 138, § 1; 2006, ch. 520, § 1; 2008, ch. 785, §§ 1-3.

Title 39 Criminal Offenses

Chapter 17 Offenses Against Public Health, Safety and Welfare

Part 13 Weapons

Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1315 (2012)

39-17-1315. Written directive and permit to carry handguns.

(a) (1) (A) The following persons may carry handguns at all times pursuant to a written directive by the executive supervisor of the organization to which the person is or was attached or employed, regardless of the person's regular duty hours or assignments:

(i) Any law enforcement officer, police officer, bonded and sworn deputy sheriff, director, commissioner, county magistrate or retired law enforcement officer who is bonded and who, at the time of receiving the written directive, has successfully completed and, except for a law enforcement officer who has retired in good standing as certified by the chief law enforcement officer of the organization from which the officer retired, continues to successfully complete on an annual basis a firearm training program of at least eight (8) hours duration;

(ii) Any director or full-time employee of the Tennessee emergency management agency in the performance of the director's or employee's duty;

(iii) Any duly authorized representative or full-time employee of the department of correction who has been specifically designated by the commissioner of the department to execute warrants issued pursuant to § 40-28-121 or § 40-35-311 or to perform such other duties as specifically designated by the commissioner; or

(iv) Any other officer or person authorized to carry handguns by this, or any other law of this state.

( B) A copy of the written directive shall be retained as a portion of the records of the particular law enforcement agency that shall issue the directive. Nothing in this subdivision (a)(1) shall prevent federal officers from carrying firearms as prescribed by federal law.

(2) Any duly elected and sworn constable in any county having a population of not less than eleven thousand one hundred (11,100) nor more than eleven thousand two hundred (11,200), according to the 1970 federal census or any subsequent federal census, and being a county in which constables retain law enforcement powers and duties under the provisions of §§ 8-10-108, 40-6-210, 55-8-152, 57-5-202 and 57-9-101, are authorized to and may carry handguns at all times and may equip their vehicles with blue and red lights and sirens. The sheriff of such county shall issue a written directive or permit authorizing the constables to carry a handgun; provided, that each constable has completed the same eight-hour annual firearm training program as is required by this subsection (a).

(3) The county commission may, by a two-thirds (2/3) vote, require the constable to have in effect a liability policy or a corporate surety bond in an amount of not less than fifty thousand dollars ($50,000).

( B) (1) An individual, corporation or business entity is authorized to prohibit the possession of weapons by employees otherwise authorized by this subsection ( B) on premises owned, operated or managed by the individual, corporation or business entity. Notice of the prohibition shall be posted or otherwise noticed to all affected employees.

(2) An individual, corporation, business entity or governmental entity or agent thereof is authorized to prohibit possession of weapons by any person otherwise authorized by this subsection ( B) , at meetings conducted by, or on premises owned, operated, managed or under control of the individual, corporation, business entity or governmental entity. Notice of the prohibition shall be posted or announced.

High_Order1

Sep 24, 2010
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
and finally, this:

Title 69 Waters, Waterways, Drains And Levees

Chapter 9 Boating Regulation

Part 2 Boating Safety

Tenn. Code Ann. § 69-9-216 (2012)

69-9-216. Prohibited acts.

(a) No person shall operate or interfere with the safe operation of any motorboat or vessel, or manipulate any water skis, surfboard, tube, specialty recreational device or similar device in a reckless or negligent manner so as to endanger the life, limb, or property of any person. Notwithstanding § 69-9-219 to the contrary, any person who interferes with the safe operation of any motorboat or vessel in a reckless or negligent manner so as to endanger the life, limb, or property of any person commits a Class C misdemeanor; provided, that any person who through such interference causes bodily injury or death commits a Class A misdemeanor.

( B) (1) It is unlawful for any person less than twelve (12) years of age to operate any vessel propelled by machinery upon the waters of Tennessee unless the person is under the direct supervision of an adult. This prohibition does not apply if the person is operating a vessel powered by a motor of eight and one-half (8.5) horsepower or less.

(2) For the purpose of this subsection ( B) , "direct supervision" means being in such proximity with the operator so as to be able to take immediate control of the vessel.

(3) Such supervising adult shall be jointly liable with the owner of a vessel as provided in § 69-9-215.

© (1) Any person who operates a motorboat towing any person riding or attempting to ride upon one (1) or more water skis, surfboard, tube, specialty recreational device or similar device on the waters of the state shall have present in such vessel a person or persons, twelve (12) years of age or older, other than the operator, who shall at all times observe the progress of the person being towed and the operator of the towing vessel shall at all times maintain an alert lookout ahead. This provision does not apply to motorboats equipped with not less than a one hundred seventy degree (170 degrees) wide angle rear-view mirror affixed in such a manner as will permit the operator to observe the progress of the person being towed.

(2) No person shall ride or attempt to ride upon water skis, surfboard, tube, specialty recreational device or similar device, or use or operate any vessel to tow any person on the waters of the state between sunset and sunrise and during periods of restricted visibility, except upon special permit issued by the agency.

(3) Any person riding or attempting to ride upon one (1) or more water skis, surfboard, tube, specialty recreational device or similar device, shall wear an adequate and effective life preserver, buoyant vest, or life belt filled with kapok, styrofoam, or cork, except upon special permit issued by the agency. Any operator of a vessel towing any person on water skis, surfboard, tube, specialty recreational device or similar device who is not wearing a life preserver, buoyant vest or life belt as prescribed in this subdivision ©(3) is deemed in violation of this section.

(4) It is unlawful for any person or persons to install, or maintain any structure, or inclined platform known as a water ski jump on the waters of the state and it is unlawful for any person to use such platform, or structure for the purpose of water ski jumping, except upon special permit issued by the agency.

(5) This subsection © does not apply to a performer engaged in a professional exhibition or a person or persons engaged in an activity authorized by the agency.

(6) No person shall operate or manipulate any vessel, tow rope or other device by which the direction or location of water skis, surfboard, tube, specialty recreational device or similar device may be affected or controlled in such a way as to cause the water skis, surfboard, tube, specialty recreational device or similar device, or any person on the water skis, surfboard, tube, specialty recreational device or similar device, to collide with or strike against any object or person.

(d) No person, except an authorized representative of the federal government, the state, or any of its political subdivisions, shall use or operate a siren on the waters of this state.

(e) No person shall purposely sever the mooring lines, set adrift, injure, or damage in any manner any vessel that is moored, docked, buoyed, or tied up on the waters of the state, or purposely alter, injure, damage or destroy any buoys, markers, aids or lights placed, erected, or installed, for the safe operation of vessels upon the waters of this state.

(f) No person shall knowingly or purposefully give false information to the executive director or the executive director's officers or designees during an accident investigation or while checking for compliance with this chapter.

(g) Except to the extent permitted by federal law and in order to protect the health and safety of persons using the waters of the state, it is unlawful for any person to operate or use a vessel capable of discharging untreated sewage from such vessel into the waters of this state. It is also unlawful to discharge any treated or untreated sewage into any waters of the state lawfully designated as "no discharge." Such designation shall be based on the criteria as established by the United States environmental protection agency for determining discharge/no discharge waters regarding marine sanitation devices. Any such discharge of sewage from a vessel shall be prima facie evidence that the discharge was done by the operator, or owner if the operator cannot be determined, of such vessel; further, where such discharges are allowed under the federal Clean Water Act, compiled in 33 U.S.C. § 1251 et seq., and its implementing regulations, United States coast guard approved Type I and Type II marine sanitation devices are the only acceptable discharge treatment devices that may be used on the waters of this state, except that only Type II discharge devices may be used on vessels over sixty-five feet (65') in length unless otherwise provided by rule or regulation. The agency may establish by rule and regulation a system of inspection for compliance to be conducted by a properly trained, qualified and bonded private individual. This system shall in no way affect inspections as permitted under § 69-9-220.

(h) Any person or persons affected by a decision of the agency may appeal such decision to the commission.

Tenn. Code Ann. § 55-8-101 (2012)

55-8-101. Chapter and part definitions.

As used in this chapter and chapter 10, parts 1-5, of this title, unless the context otherwise requires:

(1) "All-terrain vehicle" means either:

(A) A motorized non-highway tire vehicle with no less than four (4) non-highway tires, but no more than six (6) non-highway tires, that is limited in engine displacement to one thousand cubic centimeters (1,000 cc) or less and in total dry weight to less than one thousand five hundred pounds (1,500 lbs.), and that has a seat or saddle designed to be straddled by the operator and handlebars for steering control;

( B) A motorized vehicle with not less than four (4) non-highway tires, nor more than six (6) non-highway tires, that is limited in engine displacement to one thousand cubic centimeters (1,000 cc) or less and in total dry weight up to two thousand pounds (2,000 lbs.) and that has a non-straddle seating and a steering wheel; or

© A motorized vehicle designed for or capable of cross-country travel on or immediately over land, water, snow, or other natural terrain and not intended for use on public roads traveling on two (2) wheels and having a seat or saddle designed to be straddled by the operator and handlebars for steering control;

(2) "Arterial street" means any United States or state numbered route, controlled access highway, or other major radial or circumferential street or highway designed by local authorities within their respective jurisdictions as part of a major arterial system of streets or highways;

(3) (A) "Authorized emergency vehicle" means vehicles of the fire department, fire patrol, police vehicles or bicycles and emergency vehicles that are designated or authorized by the commissioner or the chief of police of an incorporated city, and vehicles operated by commissioned members of the Tennessee bureau of investigation when on official business;

( B) "Authorized emergency vehicle in certain counties" means vehicles owned by regular or volunteer firefighters in any county with a population of not less than thirty-two thousand seven hundred fifty (32,750) nor more than thirty-two thousand eight hundred (32,800), according to the 1980 federal census or any subsequent federal census, when the vehicles are used in responding to a fire alarm or other emergency call;

© (i) "Authorized emergency vehicle" automatically includes every ambulance and emergency medical vehicle operated by any emergency medical service licensed by the department of health pursuant to title 68, chapter 140, part 3; and, notwithstanding the provisions of any law to the contrary, regulation of these ambulances and emergency medical vehicles shall be exclusively performed by the department of health, except as provided in § 68-140-326, and no special authorization, approval or filing shall be required pursuant to this chapter by the commissioner of safety;

(ii) "Authorized emergency vehicle" automatically includes every rescue vehicle or emergency response vehicle owned and operated by a state-chartered rescue squad, emergency lifesaving crew or active member unit of the Tennessee Association of Rescue Squads and no special authorization, approval or filing shall be required for the vehicle pursuant to this chapter by the commissioner of safety;

(4) "Autocycle" has the same meaning as defined in § 55-1-103;

(5) "Bicycle" means every device propelled by human power upon which any person may ride, having two (2) tandem wheels, either of which is more than twenty inches (20'') in diameter;

(6) "Bus" means every motor vehicle designed for carrying more than ten (10) passengers and used for the transportation of persons, and every motor vehicle, other than a taxicab, designed and used for the transportation of persons for compensation;

(7) "Business district" means the territory contiguous to and including a highway when within any six hundred feet (600') along the highway there are buildings in use for business or industrial purposes, including, but not limited to, hotels, banks, or office buildings, railroad stations and public buildings that occupy at least three hundred feet (300') of frontage on one (1) side or three hundred feet (300') collectively on both sides of the highway;

(8) "Certified police cyclist" means any full time, sworn law enforcement officer who is certified by the International Police Mountain Bike Association or has otherwise been certified by the Tennessee peace officer standards and training commission as having received and successfully completed appropriate bicycle training in the performance of law enforcement functions;

(9) "Chauffeur" means every person who is employed by another for the principal purpose of driving a motor vehicle and every person who drives a school bus transporting school children or any motor vehicle when in use for the transportation of persons or property for compensation;

(10) "Commissioner" means the commissioner of safety;

(11) "Controlled-access highway" means every highway, street or roadway in respect to which owners or occupants of abutting lands and other persons have no legal right of access to or from the same, except at such points only and in such manner as may be determined by the public authority having jurisdiction over the highway, street or roadway;

(12) "Crosswalk" means:

(A) That part of a roadway at an intersection included within the connections of the lateral lines of the sidewalks on opposite sides of the highway measured from the curbs or, in the absence of curbs, from the edges of the traversable roadway; or

( B) Any portion of a roadway at an intersection or elsewhere distinctly indicated for pedestrian crossing by lines or other markings on the surface;

(13) "Dealer" means every person engaged in the business of buying, selling or exchanging vehicles of a type required to be registered and who has an established place of business for that purpose in this state;

(14) "Department" means the department of safety;

(15) "Driver" means every person who drives or is in actual physical control of a vehicle;

(16) "Essential parts" means all integral and body parts of a vehicle of a type required to be registered, the removal, alteration or substitution of which would tend to conceal the identity of the vehicle or substantially alter its appearance, model, type or mode of operation;

(17) "Established place of business" means the place actually occupied either continuously or at regular periods by a dealer or manufacturer where the books and records are kept and a large share of the business is transacted;

(18) "Explosives" means any chemical compound or mechanical mixture that is commonly used or intended for the purpose of producing an explosion and that contains any oxidizing and combustive units or other ingredients in those proportions, quantities or packing that an ignition by fire, by friction, by concussion, by percussion or by detonator of any part of the compound or mixture may cause such a sudden generation of highly heated gases that the resultant gaseous pressures are capable of producing destructive effects on contiguous objects or of destroying life or limb;

(19) "Farm tractor" means every motor vehicle designed and used primarily as a farm implement for drawing plows, mowing machines and other implements of husbandry;

(20) "Flammable liquid" means any liquid that has a flash point of seventy degrees Fahrenheit (70 degrees F.), or less, as determined by a tagliabue or equivalent closed-cup test device;

(21) "Foreign vehicle" means every vehicle of a type required to be registered brought into this state from another state, territory or country other than in the ordinary course of business by or through a manufacturer or dealer and not registered in this state;

(22) "Golf cart" means a motor vehicle that is designed and manufactured for operation on a golf course for sporting or recreational purposes and equipped with safety belts installed for use in the left front and right front seats and that is not capable of exceeding speeds of twenty miles per hour (20 mph);

(23) "Gross weight" means the weight of a vehicle without load plus the weight of any load thereon;

(24) "Highway" means the entire width between the boundary lines of every way when any part thereto is open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel;

(25) "Implement of husbandry" means every vehicle that is designed for agricultural purposes and exclusively used by the owner thereof in the conduct of the owner's agricultural operations;

(26) "Intersection" means:

(A) The area embraced within the prolongation or connection of the lateral curb lines, or, if none, then the lateral boundary lines of the roadways of two (2) highways that join one another at, or approximately at, right angles, or the areas within which vehicles traveling upon different highways joining at any other angle may come in conflict; or

( B) Where a highway includes two (2) roadways thirty feet (30') or more apart, then every crossing of each roadway of that divided highway by an intersecting highway shall be regarded as a separate intersection. In the event the intersecting highway also includes two (2) roadways thirty feet (30') or more apart, then every crossing of two (2) roadways of such highways shall be regarded as a separate intersection;

(27) "Laned roadway" means a roadway which is divided into two (2) or more clearly marked lanes for vehicular traffic;

(28) "License to operate a vehicle" means any operator's or chauffeur's license, or any other license or permit to operate a motor vehicle issued under the laws of this state including:

(A) Any temporary license or instruction permit;

( B) The privilege of any person to drive a motor vehicle whether or not that person holds a valid license; and

© Any nonresident's operating privilege as defined in this section;

(29) "Local authorities" means every county, municipal and other local board or body having authority to enact ordinances or make regulations relating to traffic under the constitution and laws of this state;

(30) "Low speed vehicle" means any four-wheeled electric vehicle, excluding golf carts, whose top speed is greater than twenty miles per hour (20 mph) but not greater than twenty-five miles per hour (25 mph), including neighborhood vehicles. Low speed vehicles must comply with the safety standards in 49 CFR 571.500;

(31) "Manufacturer" means every person engaged in the business of constructing or assembling vehicles of a type required to be registered at an established place of business in this state;

(32) "Medium speed vehicle" means any four-wheeled electric or gasoline-powered vehicle, excluding golf carts, whose top speed is greater than thirty miles per hour (30 mph) but not more than thirty-five miles per hour (35 mph) and otherwise meets or exceeds the federal safety standards set forth in 49 CFR 571.500;

(33) "Metal tire" means every tire the surface of which in contact with the highway is wholly or partly of metal or other hard, nonresilient material;

(34) "Motor vehicle" means every vehicle, including a low speed vehicle or a medium-speed vehicle that is self-propelled, excluding motorized bicycles, and every vehicle, including a low speed vehicle or a medium speed vehicle that is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails;

(35) "Motorcycle" means every motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three (3) wheels in contact with the ground, including a vehicle that is fully enclosed, has three (3) wheels in contact with the ground, weighs less than one thousand five hundred pounds (1,500 lbs.), and has the capacity to maintain posted highway speed limits, excluding a tractor or motorized bicycle;

(36) "Motor-driven cycle" means every motorcycle, including every motor scooter, with a motor that produces not to exceed five (5) brake horsepower, or with a motor with a cylinder capacity not exceeding one hundred twenty-five cubic centimeters (125cc);

(37) "Motorized bicycle" means a vehicle with two (2) or three (3) wheels, an automatic transmission, and a motor with a cylinder capacity not exceeding fifty cubic centimeters (50cc) which produces no more than two (2) brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the vehicle at a maximum design speed of no more than thirty miles per hour (30 mph) on level ground. The operator of a motorized bicycle must be in possession of a valid operator's or chauffeur's license, and shall be subject to all applicable and practical rules of the road. A motorized bicycle may not be operated on a highway of the interstate and defense highway system, any similar limited access multilane divided highway, or upon sidewalks;

(38) "Official traffic-control devices" means all signs, signals, markings and devices not inconsistent with this chapter and chapter 10, parts 1-5 of this title placed or erected by authority of a public body or official having jurisdiction for the purpose of regulating, warning or guiding traffic;

(39) "Operator" means every person, other than a chauffeur, who drives or is in actual physical control of a motor vehicle upon a highway or who is exercising control over or steering a vehicle being towed by a motor vehicle;

(40) "Owner" means a person who holds the legal title of a vehicle, or in the event a vehicle is the subject of an agreement for the conditional sale or lease thereof, with the right of purchase upon performance of the conditions stated in the agreement and with an immediate right of possession vested in the conditional vendee or lessee, or in the event a mortgagor of a vehicle is entitled to possession, then the conditional vendee or lessee or mortgagor shall be deemed the owner for the purpose of this chapter and chapter 10, parts 1-5 of this title;

(41) "Park," when prohibited, means the standing of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, otherwise than temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading;

(42) "Pedestrian" means any person afoot or using a motorized or non-motorized wheelchair;

(43) "Person" means every natural person, firm, copartnership, association or corporation;

(44) "Pneumatic tire" means every tire in which compressed air is designed to support the load;

(45) "Pole trailer" means every vehicle without motive power designed to be driven by another vehicle and attached to the towing vehicle by means of a reach or pole, or by being boomed or otherwise secured to the towing vehicle, and ordinarily used for transporting long or irregularly shaped loads, such as poles, pipes or structural members capable, generally, of sustaining themselves as beams between the supporting connections;

(46) "Police officer" means every officer authorized to direct or regulate traffic or to make arrests for violations of traffic regulations;

(47) "Private road or driveway" means every way or place in private ownership and used for vehicular travel by the owner and those having express or implied permission from the owner, but not by other persons;

(48) "Railroad" means a carrier of persons or property upon cars, other than streetcars, operated upon stationary rails;

(49) "Railroad sign or signal" means any sign, signal or device erected by authority of a public body or official or by a railroad and intended to give notice of the presence of railroad tracks or the approach of a railroad train;

(50) "Railroad train" means a steam engine, electric or other motor, with or without cars coupled thereto, operated upon rails, except streetcars;

(51) "Residential district" means the territory contiguous to and including a highway not comprising a business district when the property on the highway for a distance of three hundred feet (300') or more is in the main improved with residences;

(52) "Right-of-way" means the privilege of the immediate use of the roadway;

(53) "Road tractor" means every motor vehicle designed and used for drawing other vehicles and not so constructed as to carry any load thereon either independently or any part of the weight of a vehicle or load so drawn;

(54) "Roadway" means that portion of a highway improved, designed or ordinarily used for vehicular travel, exclusive of the berm or shoulder. In the event a highway includes two (2) or more separate roadways, "roadway" refers to any such roadway separately but not to all such roadways collectively;

(55) "Safety zone" means the area or space officially set apart within a roadway for the exclusive use of pedestrians and that is protected or is so marked or indicated by adequate signs as to be plainly visible at all times while set apart as a safety zone;

(56) "School bus" means every motor vehicle owned by a public or governmental agency and operated for the transportation of children to or from school or privately owned and operated for compensation for the transportation of children to or from school;

(57) "Semitrailer" means every vehicle with or without motive power, other than a pole trailer, designed for carrying persons or property and for being drawn by a motor vehicle and so constructed that some part of its weight and that of its load rests upon or is carried by another vehicle;

(58) "Sidewalk" means that portion of a street between the curb lines, or the lateral lines of a roadway, and the adjacent property lines, intended for use of pedestrians;

(59) "Solid tire" means every tire of rubber or other resilient material which does not depend upon compressed air for the support of the load;

(60) "Solid waste vehicle" means any vehicle engaged in the collecting and transporting of municipal solid waste as defined by § 68-211-802, or recyclable materials as defined by § 68-211-802;

(61) "Special mobile equipment" means every vehicle not designed or used primarily for the transportation of persons or property and incidentally operated or moved over the highways, including farm tractors, road construction or maintenance machinery, ditch-digging apparatus, well-boring apparatus and concrete mixers. The foregoing enumeration shall be deemed partial and shall not operate to exclude other vehicles that are within the general terms of this subdivision (61);

(62) "Specially constructed vehicle" means every vehicle of a type required to be registered not originally constructed under a distinctive name, make, model or type by a generally recognized manufacturer of vehicles and not materially altered from its original construction;

(63) "Stop," when required, means complete cessation from movement;

(64) "Stop line" means a white line placed generally in conformance with the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), as adopted by the department of transportation, denoting the point where an intersection begins;

(65) "Stopping" or "standing," when prohibited, means any stopping or standing of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with the directions of a police officer or traffic-control sign or signal;

(66) "Street" means the entire width between boundary lines of every way when any part thereof is open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel;

(67) "Streetcar" means a car other than a railroad train for transporting persons or property and operated upon rails principally within a municipality;

(68) "Through highway" means every highway or portion of the highway at the entrance to which vehicular traffic from intersecting highways is required by law to stop before entering or crossing the same and when stop signs are erected as provided in this chapter. The department of transportation shall be authorized to designate through highways;

(69) "Trackless trolley coach" means every motor vehicle that is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires but not operated upon rails;

(70) "Tractor" means any self-propelled vehicle designed or used as a traveling power plant or for drawing other vehicles, but having no provision for carrying loads independently;

(71) "Traffic" means pedestrians, ridden or herded animals, vehicles, streetcars and other conveyances either singly or together while using any highway for purposes of travel;

(72) "Traffic-control signal" means any device, whether manually, electrically or mechanically operated, by which traffic is alternately directed to stop and to proceed;

(73) "Trailer" means every vehicle with or without motive power, other than a pole trailer, designed for carrying persons or property and for being drawn by a motor vehicle and so constructed that no part of its weight rests upon the towing vehicle;

(74) "Truck" means every motor vehicle designed, used or maintained primarily for the transportation of property;

(75) "Truck tractor" means every motor vehicle designed and used primarily for drawing other vehicles and not so constructed as to carry a load other than a part of the weight of the vehicle and load so drawn;

(76) "Urban district" means the territory contiguous to and including any street that is built up with structures devoted to business, industry or dwelling houses situated at intervals of less than one hundred feet (100') for a distance of one-quarter (1/4) mile or more; and

(77) "Vehicle" means every device in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, excepting devices used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks.

High_Order1

Sep 24, 2010
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
Well,

I've been around here for many years now. I just read and buy; I never have a great deal to add. I thought this would be a better way to support the community here than throwing some money around. I basically went to the website that TN pays to keep current, and ran searches over the ENTIRE Tennessee Codes Annotated for phrases like 'green light', 'green lamp', 'siren', ad nauseum. That's why there appears to be several unrelated laws there. One law for sirens on boats is buried in one of the codes. The bond card law also authorizes red and blue lights.

It is so, so SO convoluted right now. They did a heavy revision, and added a thing because I guess organ donor pacs threw some of them some money, and messed the entire law on yellow and clear lamps up. I plan to try and do something about it next legislative session. I wrote all involved when it first happened, and got almost no replies. I then sent out an email blast to anyone I thought would care. Shortly thereafter came the exception for wrecker drivers (I had contacted both towing / recovery associations).

Your interpretations welcome, as well.

Shawn

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
The simple version.

Red/Blue (EV): Any Departmeny vihicial from an established PD, FD, EMS Department, etc

Blue/white (EV): Any fire chief, deputy fire chief, assistant fire chief, chief engineer, fire police officer and Chief EMS officer

Red in the Rear (Possible EV): Any vehicle that could be a traffic hazzard, EV's and DelDot. Must move over for EV's and Deltdot vehicles displaying red in the rear.

Yellow/white: Any vehicle that could be a traffic hazzard

Purple: Funeral prosession vehicles owned by the Funeral Home

Green: On scene command vehicle only, except for responding hazmat vehicle

Wigwags (Not EV): fire chief, assistant fire chief, fire engineer, fire police officer, police officer, a firefighter who is a member of any regularly established fire company or by an ambulance attendant who is a member of any regularly established ambulance service while responding to a bonafide call for service.

So pretty much, most Vollies use Wigwags, White lights and 4-way flashers while responding. However, there are many that just use 4-way flashers. But the real question, due people yield for our lights? For the majority of the time, no.

TITLE 21
Motor Vehicles

Operation and Equipment

CHAPTER 43. EQUIPMENT AND CONSTRUCTION OF VEHICLES

Subchapter II. Lights

§ 4331. When lighted lamps are required.

(a) Every vehicle upon a highway within this State at any time from sunset to sunrise, or during fog, smoke, rain or when windshield wipers are in use because of weather conditions or at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavorable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 1,000 feet ahead shall display lighted lamps and illuminating devices, exclusive of parking lamps, as hereinafter respectively required for different classes of vehicles, subject to exceptions with respect to parked vehicles.

( B) The portion of subsection (a) of this section criminalizing the failure to display lighted lamps and illuminating devices when windshield wipers are in use because of weather conditions shall constitute a secondary offense in that no person shall be stopped by a police officer for that failure alone.

36 Del. Laws, c. 10, §§ 128, 130; Code 1935, §§ 5666, 5668; 21 Del. C. 1953, § 4331; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1; 59 Del. Laws, c. 504, § 1; 69 Del. Laws, c. 417, §§ 1-3.;

§ 4332. Visibility distance and mounted height of lamps.

(a) Whenever requirement is hereinafter declared as to distance from which certain lamps and devices shall render objects visible or within which such lamps or devices shall be visible, said provisions shall apply during the times stated in § 4331 of this title in respect to a vehicle without load when upon a straight, level, unlighted highway under normal atmospheric conditions unless a different time or condition is expressly stated.

( B) Whenever requirement is hereinafter declared as to the mounted height of lamps or devices it shall mean from the center of such lamp or device to the level ground upon which the vehicle stands when such vehicle is without a load.

36 Del. Laws, c. 10, §§ 128, 130; Code 1935, §§ 5666, 5668; 21 Del. C. 1953, § 4332; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1.;

§ 4333. Head lamps on motor vehicles.

(a) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer and pole motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with at least 2 head lamps with at least 1 on each side of the front of the motor vehicle, which head lamps shall comply with the requirements and limitations set forth in this chapter.

( B) Every motorcycle and every motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with at least 1 and not more than 2 head lamps which shall comply with the requirements and limitations of this chapter.

© Every head lamp upon every motor vehicle, including every motorcycle and motor-driven cycle, shall be located at a height measured from the center of the head lamp of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches, to be measured as set forth in § 4332( B) of this title.

36 Del. Laws, c. 10, §§ 128, 130; Code 1935, §§ 5666, 5668; 21 Del. C. 1953, § 4333; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1; 51 Del. Laws, c. 235.;

§ 4334. Tail lamps.

(a) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer and pole trailer and any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a train of vehicles shall be equipped with at least 1 tail lamp, mounted on the rear, which, when lighted as hereinbefore required, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear, provided, that, in the case of a train of vehicles only the tail lamp on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified. Provided, however, that every such above mentioned vehicle, other than a truck tractor, registered in this State and manufactured or assembled after July 1, 1956, shall be equipped with at least 2 tail lamps mounted on the rear, which, when lighted as herein required, shall comply with this section.

( B) Every tail lamp upon every vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than 72 inches nor less than 20 inches.

© Either a tail lamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of 50 feet to the rear. Any tail lamp or tail lamps, together with any separate lamp for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted.

36 Del. Laws, c. 10, § 128; Code 1935, § 5666; 21 Del. C. 1953, § 4334; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1.;

§ 4335. New vehicles to be equipped with reflectors.

(a) Every new motor vehicle hereafter sold and operated upon a highway, other than a truck tractor, shall carry on the rear, either as a part of the tail lamps or separately, 2 red reflectors, except that every motorcycle and every motor-driven cycle shall carry at least 1 reflector meeting the requirements of this section, and except that vehicles of the type mentioned in § 4338 of this title shall be equipped with reflectors as required in those sections applicable thereto.

( B) Every such reflector shall be mounted on the vehicle at a height not less than 20 inches nor more than 60 inches measured as set forth in § 4332( B) of this title, and shall be of such size and characteristics and so mounted as to be visible at night from all distances within 350 feet to 100 feet from such vehicle when directly in front of lawful upper beams of head lamps, except that visibility from a greater distance is hereinafter required of reflectors on certain types of vehicles.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4335; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1.;

§ 4336. Stop lamps and turn signals required on new motor vehicles.

It shall be unlawful for any person to sell any new motor vehicle, including any motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, in this State, or for any person to drive such vehicle on the highways, unless equipped with at least 1 stop lamp meeting the requirements of § 4347 of this title.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4336; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1.;

§ 4337. Application of succeeding sections.

Those sections of this chapter which follow immediately, including §§ 4338-4342 of this title, relating to clearance and marker lamps, reflectors and stoplights, shall apply as stated in said sections to vehicles of the type therein enumerated, namely passenger buses, trucks, truck tractors and certain trailers, semitrailers and pole trailers, respectively, when operated upon any highway, and such vehicles shall be equipped as required and all lamp equipment required shall be lighted at times mentioned in § 4331 of this title, except that clearance and side marker lamps need not be lighted on any said vehicle when operated within any municipality where there is sufficient light to render clearly discernible persons and vehicles on the highway at a distance of 500 feet.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4337; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1.;

§ 4338. Additional equipment required on certain vehicles.

In addition to other equipment required in this chapter, the following vehicles shall be equipped as herein stated under the conditions stated in § 4337 of this title:

(1) On every bus or truck, whatever its size, there shall be the following:

On the rear, 2 reflectors, 1 at each side, and 1 stoplight;

(2) On every bus or truck 80 inches or more in overall width, in addition to the requirements in subdivision (1) of this section:

On the front, 2 clearance lamps, 1 at each side; on the rear, 2 clearance lamps, 1 at each side; on the side, 2 side marker lamps, 1 at or near the front and 1 at or near the rear; on each side, 2 reflectors, 1 at or near the front and 1 at or near the rear;

(3) On every truck tractor:

On the front, 2 clearance lamps, 1 at each side; on the rear, 1 stoplight;

(4) On every trailer or semitrailer having a gross weight in excess of 3,000 pounds:

On the front, 2 clearance lamps, 1 at each side; on each side, 2 side marker lamps, 1 at or near the front and 1 at or near the rear; on each side, 2 reflectors, 1 at or near the front and 1 at or near the rear; on the rear, 2 clearance lamps, 1 at each side; also 2 reflectors, 1 at each side and 1 stoplight;

(5) On every pole trailer in excess of 3,000 pounds gross weight:

On each side, 1 side marker lamp and 1 clearance lamp which may be in combination to show to the front, side and rear; on the rear of the pole trailer or load, 2 reflectors, 1 at each side;

(6) On every trailer, semitrailer or pole trailer weighing 3,000 pounds gross or less:

On the rear, 2 reflectors, 1 on each side. If any trailer or semitrailer is so loaded or is of such dimensions as to obscure the stoplight on the towing vehicle, then such vehicle shall also be equipped with 1 stoplight.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4338; 49 Del. Laws, c. 220, § 25; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1.;

§ 4339. Color of clearance lamps, side marker lamps, backup lamps and reflectors.

(a) Front clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle shall display and reflect an amber color.

( B) Rear clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the rear or on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall display and reflect a red color.

© All lighting devices and reflectors mounted on the rear of any vehicle shall display or reflect a red color, except the stoplight or other signal device, which may be red, amber or yellow, and except that the light illuminating the license plate shall be white and the light emitted by a backup lamp shall be white or amber.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4339; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1; 77 Del. Laws, c. 263, §§ 1, 2.;

§ 4340. Mounting of reflectors, clearance lamps and side marker lamps.

(a) Reflectors, when required by § 4338 of this title, shall be mounted at a height not less than 24 inches and not higher than 60 inches above the ground on which the vehicle stands, except that if the highest part of the permanent structure of the vehicle is less than 24 inches, the reflector at such point shall be mounted as high as that part of the permanent structure will permit.

The rear reflectors on a pole trailer may be mounted on each side of the bolster or load.

Any required red reflector on the rear of a vehicle may be incorporated with the tail lamp, but such reflector shall meet all the other reflector requirements of this chapter.

( B) Clearance lamps shall be mounted on the permanent structure of the vehicle in such a manner as to indicate its extreme width and as near the top thereof as practicable. Clearance lamps and side marker lamps may be mounted in combination provided illumination is given as required herein with reference to both.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4340; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1.;

§ 4341. Visibility of reflectors, clearance lamps and marker lamps.

(a) Every reflector upon any vehicle referred to in § 4338 of this title shall be of such size and characteristics and so maintained as to be readily visible at nighttime from all distances within 600 feet to 100 feet from the vehicle when directly in front of lawful upper beams of head lamps. Reflectors required to be mounted on the sides of the vehicle shall reflect the required color of light to the sides, and those mounted on the rear shall reflect a red color to the rear.

( B) Front and rear clearance lamps shall be capable of being seen and distinguished under normal atmospheric conditions at the times lights are required at a distance of 500 feet from the front and rear, respectively, of the vehicle.

© Side marker lamps shall be capable of being seen and distinguished under normal atmospheric conditions at the time lights are required at a distance of 500 feet from the side of the vehicle on which mounted.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4341; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1.;

§ 4342. Obstructed lights not required.

Whenever motor and other vehicles are operated in combination during the time that lights are required, any lamp (except tail lamps) need not be lighted which, by reason of its location on a vehicle of the combination, would be obscured by another vehicle of the combination, but this shall not affect the requirement that lighted clearance lamps be displayed on the front of the foremost vehicle required to have clearance lamps, nor that all lights required on the rear of the rearmost vehicle of any combination shall be lighted.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4342; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1.;

§ 4343. Lamp or flag on projecting load.

(a) Whenever the load upon any vehicle extends to the rear 4 feet or more beyond the bed or body of such vehicle there shall be displayed at the extreme rear end of the load, at the time specified in § 4331 of this title, a red light or lantern plainly visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the sides and rear. The red light or lantern required under this section shall be, in addition to the red rear light required upon every vehicle. At any other time there shall be displayed at the extreme rear end of such load a red flag or cloth not less than 12 inches square and so hung that the entire area is visible to the driver of a vehicle approaching from the rear.

( B) This section does not apply to:

(1) Any vehicle carrying wooden prefabricated roof trusses in an inverted position, if the trusses do not extend more than 10 feet beyond the rear of the bed or body of the vehicle;

(2) A combination of vehicles carrying an indivisible load if the load is not over 70 feet long, and the load is being transported during daylight hours; or

(3) Any vehicle or combination of vehicles carrying:

a. Piling, poles or mill logs;

b. Nursery stock; or

c. Crew or racing shells.

© Subject to the maximum length limits of this section, the load on any vehicle operated alone or the load on the front vehicle of a combination of vehicles:

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, may not extend more than 3 feet beyond the foremost part of the vehicle; and

(2) May extend more than 3 feet beyond the foremost part of a vehicle equipped with front-end loading attachments and containers used in collecting garbage, rubbish, refuse or recyclable materials when the vehicle is actively engaged in collecting garbage, rubbish, refuse or recyclable materials.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4343; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1; 71 Del. Laws, c. 249, §§ 1, 2.;

§ 4344. Lamps on parked vehicles.

(a) Every vehicle, except motorcycles, shall be equipped with at least 1 lamp which, when lighted, shall display a white or amber light visible from a distance of 500 feet to the front of the vehicle, and a red light visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear of the vehicle. The lamp shall be situated so that 1 such lamp, or combination of lamps meeting the requirements of this section, is installed as near as practicable to the side of the vehicle which is closest to passing traffic.

( B) Whenever a vehicle (whether attended or unattended) is parked or stopped upon a street or highway, at a time when there is insufficient light to reveal any person or object within a distance of 500 feet upon the highway, such vehicle shall be equipped with and shall display lamps meeting the requirements of subsection (a) of this section, but it shall not be necessary to display the lamps upon a vehicle which is lawfully parked upon a portion of a roadway which is ordinarily or customarily used for parking vehicles.

© Any lighted head lamps upon a parked vehicle shall be depressed or dimmed.

36 Del. Laws, c. 10, §§ 134, 141; 37 Del. Laws, c. 10, § 34; Code 1935, §§ 5672, 5679; 45 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 2; 21 Del. C. 1953, § 4344; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1; 60 Del. Laws, c. 384, § 1.;

§ 4345. Lamps on other vehicles and equipment.

Every vehicle, including animal-drawn vehicles and vehicles referred to in § 4355© of this title, not specifically required by this subchapter to be equipped with lamps or other lighting devices, shall at all times specified in § 4331 of this title be equipped with at least 1 lamp displaying a white light visible from a distance of not less than 500 feet to the front of said vehicle and shall also be equipped with 2 lamps displaying red light visible from a distance of not less than 500 feet to the rear of said vehicle, or as an alternative, 1 lamp displaying a red light visible from a distance of not less than 500 feet to the rear and 2 red reflectors visible for distances of 100 to 600 feet to the rear when illuminated by the upper beams of head lamps.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4345; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1.;

§ 4346. Spot lamps and auxiliary lamps.

(a) Spot lamps. -- Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed 2 spot lamps, and every lighted spot lamp shall be so aimed and used upon approaching another vehicle that no part of the high intensity portion of the beam will be directed to the left of the prolongation of the extreme left side of the vehicle nor more than 100 feet ahead of the vehicle.

( B) Fog lamps. -- Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed 2 fog lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than 12 inches nor more than 30 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands and so aimed that when the vehicle is not loaded none of the high intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle shall at a distance of 25 feet ahead project higher than a level of 4 inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes. Lighted fog lamps meeting the above requirements may be used with lower head lamp beams as specified in § 4349 of this title.

© Auxiliary passing lamp. -- Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed 1 auxiliary passing lamp mounted on the front at a height not less than 24 inches nor more than 42 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands. Section 4349 of this title shall apply to any combination of head lamps and auxiliary passing lamps.

(d) Auxiliary driving lamp. -- Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed 1 auxiliary driving lamp mounted on the front at a height not less than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands. Section 4349 of this title shall apply to any combination of head lamps and auxiliary driving lamps.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4346; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1.;

§ 4347. Signal lamps and signal devices.

(a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped and when required under this chapter shall be equipped with a stop lamp or lamps on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber, visible from a distance of not less than 100 feet to the rear in normal sunlight, and which shall be actuated upon application of the service (foot) brake and be incorporated with 1 or more other rear lamps.

( B) Any motor vehicle may be equipped and when required under this chapter shall be equipped with lamps or mechanical signal devices showing to the front and rear for the purpose of indicating an intention to turn either to the right or left. When lamps are used for such purpose, the lamps showing to the front shall be located on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and when in use shall display a white or amber light, or any shade of color between white and amber, visible from a distance of not less than 100 feet to the front in normal sunlight, and the lamps showing to the rear shall be located at the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and when in use shall display a red or amber light, or any shade of color between red and amber, visible from a distance of not less than 100 feet to the rear in normal sunlight. When actuated such lamps shall indicate the intended direction of turning by flashing the lights showing to the front and rear on the side toward which the turn is made. Where mechanical signal devices are used for such purpose, said devices shall be self-illuminated when in use at the times mentioned in § 4331 of this title.

© No stop lamp or signal lamp or device shall project a glaring light.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4347; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1.;

§ 4348. Additional lighting equipment.

(a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than 2 side cowl or fender lamps which shall emit an amber or white light without glare.

( B) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than 1 running board courtesy lamp on each side thereof which shall emit a white or amber light without glare.

© Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than 2 backup lamps either separately or in combination with other lamps, but any such backup lamp shall not be lighted when the motor vehicle is in forward motion.

(d)(1) Any vehicle may be equipped with lamps which may be used for the purpose of warning the operators of other vehicles of the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring the exercise of unusual care in approaching, overtaking or passing and when so equipped may display such warning in addition to any other warning signals required by this subchapter.

(2)a. The lamps used to display such warning to the front shall be mounted at the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and shall display simultaneously flashing white or amber lights, or any shade of color between white and amber.

b. The lamps used to display such warning to the rear shall be mounted at the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable, and shall show simultaneously flashing amber or red lights, or any shade of color between amber and red.

c. These warning lights shall be visible from a distance of not less than 500 feet under normal atmospheric conditions at night.

(3) Flashing headlights may be installed upon any motor vehicle being used by a fire chief, assistant fire chief, fire engineer, fire police officer, police officer, a firefighter who is a member of any regularly established fire company or by an ambulance attendant who is a member of any regularly established ambulance service. Flashing lights shall only be installed if duly authorized by the fire chief or ambulance captain of the respective fire or ambulance company. The lights shall be used only in response to duty as a first responder. Only those firefighters or ambulance attendants of regularly established fire companies duly designated as first responders by their respective fire chief, or those ambulance attendants of other regularly established ambulance services duly designated as first responders by their respective ambulance captain, shall be authorized to use such flashing lights, notwithstanding § 4353© of this title. Nothing in this section shall be interpreted to grant emergency vehicle status to firefighters or ambulance attendants making use of such signals in their personal vehicles pursuant to § 4106 of this title. Flashing lights as used in this subsection shall mean a sudden and transient outburst of bright light either operated or activated by 4-way flashers and/or by a high and low beam headlight switch on the vehicle.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4348; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1; 70 Del. Laws, c. 414, § 1; 77 Del. Laws, c. 6, §§ 4, 6.;

§ 4349. Multiple beam road lighting equipment.

Except as hereinafter provided, the head lamps or the auxiliary driving lamp or the auxiliary passing lamp or combination thereof on motor vehicles other than motorcycles or motor-driven cycles shall be so arranged that the driver may select at will between distributions of light projected to different elevations and such lamps may, in addition, be so arranged that such selection can be made automatically, subject to the following limitations:

(1) There shall be an uppermost distribution of light or composite beam so aimed and of such intensity as to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of at least 350 feet ahead for all conditions of loading;

(2) There shall be a lowermost distribution of light or composite beam so aimed and of sufficient intensity to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of at least 100 feet ahead; and on a straight level road under any condition of loading none of the high intensity portion of the beam shall be directed to strike the eyes of an approaching driver;

(3) Every new motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, registered in this State after January 1, 1956, which has multiple beam road lighting equipment shall be equipped with a beam indicator, which shall be lighted whenever the uppermost distribution of light from the head lamps is in use and shall not otherwise be lighted. The indicator shall be so designed and located that when lighted it will be readily visible without glare to the driver of the vehicle so equipped.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4349; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1.;

§ 4350. Use of multiple beam road lighting equipment.

Whenever a motor vehicle is being operated on a roadway or shoulder adjacent thereto during the times specified in § 4331 of this title, the driver shall use a distribution of light or composite beam directed high enough and of sufficient intensity to reveal persons and vehicles at a safe distance in advance of the vehicle, subject to the following requirements and limitations:

(1) Whenever a driver of a vehicle approaches an oncoming vehicle within 500 feet, such driver shall use a distribution of light or composite beam so aimed that the glaring rays are not projected into the eyes of the oncoming driver. The lowermost distribution of light or composite beam specified in § 4349(2) of this title shall be deemed to avoid glare at all times, regardless of road contour and loading;

(2) Whenever the driver of a vehicle follows another vehicle within 200 feet to the rear, except when engaged in the act of overtaking and passing, such driver shall use a distribution of light permissible under this chapter other than the uppermost distribution of light specified in § 4349(1) of this title.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4350; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1.;

§ 4351. Lighting equipment on motor-driven cycles.

The head lamp or head lamps upon every motor-driven cycle may be of the single beam type but in either event shall comply with the requirements and limitations as follows:

(1) Every such head lamp or head lamps on a motor-driven cycle shall be of sufficient intensity to reveal a person or a vehicle at a distance of not less than 100 feet when the motor-driven cycle is operated at any speed less than 25 miles per hour, and at a distance of not less than 200 feet when the motor-driven cycle is operated at a speed of 25 or more miles per hour, and at a distance of not less than 300 feet when the motor-driven cycle is operated at a speed of 35 or more miles per hour;

(2) In the event the motor-driven cycle is equipped with a multiple beam head lamp or head lamps the upper beam shall meet the minimum requirements set forth above and shall not exceed the limitations set forth in § 4349(1) of this title, and the lowermost beam shall meet the requirements applicable to a lowermost distribution of light as set forth in § 4349 of this title;

(3) In the event the motor-driven cycle is equipped with a single beam lamp or lamps, such lamps shall be so aimed that when the vehicle is loaded none of the high intensity portion of light, at a distance of 25 feet ahead, shall project higher than the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4351; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1.;

§ 4352. Number of driving lamps required or permitted.

(a) At all times specified in § 4331 of this title, at least 2 lighted lamps shall be displayed, 1 on each side at the front of every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, except when such vehicle is parked subject to the regulations governing lights on parked vehicles.

( B) Whenever a motor vehicle equipped with head lamps as required in this subchapter is also equipped with any auxiliary lamps or a spot lamp or any other lamp on the front thereof projecting a beam of intensity greater than 300 candlepower, not more than a total of 4 of any such lamps on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at any 1 time when upon a highway.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4352; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1.;

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
andddd

§ 4353. Special restrictions on lamps.

(a) Any lighted lamp or illuminating device upon a motor vehicle other than head lamps, spot lamps, auxiliary lamps, flashing turn signals, emergency vehicle warning lamps and school bus warning lamps, which projects a beam of light of an intensity greater than 300 candlepower, shall be so directed that no part of the high intensity portion of the beam will strike the level of the roadway on which the vehicle stands at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.

( B) No person shall drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any highway with any lamp or device thereon displaying a red light visible from directly in front of the center thereof. This section shall not apply to any vehicle upon which a red light visible from the front is expressly authorized or required by this subchapter.

© Flashing lights are prohibited except on an authorized emergency vehicle, school bus, snow removal equipment, vehicles authorized by the Secretary of Safety and Homeland Security if determined to be in the interest of public safety, or on any vehicle as a means of indicating a right or left turn or the presence of a vehicular hazard requiring unusual care in approaching, overtaking or passing.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4353; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1; 65 Del. Laws, c. 468, § 1; 75 Del. Laws, c. 89, § 281( B) .;

§ 4354. Standards for lights on snow removal equipment.

(a) The Department of Safety and Homeland Security shall adopt standards and specifications applicable to head lamps, clearance lamps, identification and other lamps on snow removal equipment when operated on the highways of this State in lieu of the lamps otherwise required on motor vehicles by this subchapter. Such standards and specifications may permit the use of flashing lights for purposes of identification on snow removal equipment when in service upon the highways. The standards and specifications for lamps referred to in this section shall correlate with and, so far as possible, conform with those approved by the American Association of State Highway Officials.

( B) It shall be unlawful to operate any snow removal equipment on any highway unless the lamps thereon comply with and are lighted when and as required by the standards and specifications adopted as provided in this section.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4354; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1; 57 Del. Laws, c. 670, § 15C; 74 Del. Laws, c. 110, § 138.;

§ 4355. Scope and effect of regulations.

(a) It is a misdemeanor for any person to drive or move or for the owner to cause or knowingly permit to be driven or moved on any highway any vehicle or combination of vehicles which is in such unsafe condition as to endanger any person, or which does not contain those parts or is not at all times equipped with such lamps and other equipment in proper condition and adjustment as required in this subchapter, or which is equipped in any manner in violation of this subchapter or for any person to do any act forbidden or fail to perform any act required under this subchapter.

( B) Nothing contained in this subchapter shall be construed to prohibit the use of additional parts and accessories on any vehicle not inconsistent with this subchapter.

© This subchapter, with respect to equipment on vehicles, shall not apply to implements of husbandry, road machinery, road rollers, or farm tractors except as herein made applicable.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4355; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1.;

§ 4356. Use of flashing lights.

(a) Any motor vehicle used by a fire chief, deputy fire chief, assistant fire chief, chief engineer, fire police officer and Chief EMS officer may have placed upon such motor vehicle flashing blue and white lights. Such flashing blue and white lights shall be used by the fire chief, deputy fire chief, assistant fire chief, chief engineer, fire police officer and Chief EMS officer of any regularly established fire company or ambulance company only in the performance of their duties. The white lights permitted under this subsection shall be embedded in, or otherwise associated with the activation or operation of, the headlamps and/or the flashing turn signal lights of the vehicle.

( B) A police vehicle, a volunteer fire company-owned vehicle or a City of Wilmington bureau of fire-owned vehicle may have placed upon such vehicle flashing blue and red lights or flashing blue, red and/or white lights.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4357; 53 Del. Laws, c. 13; 61 Del. Laws, c. 155, § 1; 62 Del. Laws, c. 165, § 2; 68 Del. Laws, c. 37, § 1; 70 Del. Laws, c. 186, § 1; 74 Del. Laws, c. 20, §§ 1, 2; 77 Del. Laws, c. 6, § 3.;

§ 4356A. Use of revolving or flashing green light.

Any motor vehicle used by a fire department or police department and emergency vehicles of state, federal, county or municipal departments, or public service corporations as are designated or authorized as emergency vehicles by the Secretary of Safety and Homeland Security, may be equipped with a green revolving or flashing light for use only when the vehicle is in service at an accident, fire or disaster scene to signify a command post to which fire and police officials may report for instructions or orders, or for use on hazardous material response vehicles traveling to such scene on the request of the fire department or the police department. Such green revolving or flashing lights may only be used on a vehicle for the purposes and in the manner stated in this section.

63 Del. Laws, c. 365, § 1; 75 Del. Laws, c. 89, § 281©.;

§ 4357. Carrying of flares in certain vehicles; use upon becoming disabled.

(a) No person shall operate any vehicle having a width in any part in excess of 80 inches or a gross weight of vehicle and load of 8,000 pounds or more upon the highways of this State outside of a business or residential district during the period when lighted lamps must be displayed on vehicles, unless there shall be carried in such vehicle at least 3 flares, or 3 red electric lanterns or 3 portable red emergency reflectors capable of being distinguished at a distance of not less than 600 feet under normal atmospheric conditions at night.

( B) Whenever any vehicle described in subsection (a) of this section or its lighting equipment is disabled during the period when lighted lamps must be displayed and such vehicle cannot immediately be removed from the main traveled portion of a highway outside of a business or residential district, the driver or other person in charge of such vehicle shall cause flares, lanterns or reflectors to be lighted and placed upon the highway, 1 at a distance of approximately 100 feet in advance of such vehicle, 1 at a distance of approximately 100 feet to the rear of the vehicle and the third upon the roadway alongside of the vehicle. If the vehicle is transporting flammables, 3 red reflectors shall be so placed so as to afford a warning of the presence of the vehicle on the highway in lieu of such other signals and no open burning flare shall be placed adjacent to any such vehicle.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4358; 57 Del. Laws, c. 545, § 2.;

§ 4358. Penalties.

Whoever violates this subchapter shall for the first offense be fined not less than $10 nor more than $28.75. For each subsequent like offense, the person shall be fined not less than $28.75 nor more than $100.

21 Del. C. 1953, § 4356; 50 Del. Laws, c. 292, § 1; 65 Del. Laws, c. 503, § 24; 68 Del. Laws, c. 9, § 46; 70 Del. Laws, c. 186, § 1.;

joeparv

Jun 15, 2012
US. New Jersey
Does anyone know if your allowed to have red in the rear? I have an all blue bar with a rid head in the rear center like a 3rd brake light. Would the be considered illegal or fine? Taillights n brake lights are red and people add red led brake strip lights all the time so not positive about it but would like some more info. Thanks

picone239

Jul 22, 2010
Paramus, NJ
No, you can't have red to the rear. Actually, you can't have anything to the rear:

39:3-54.10 Placement of motor vehicle, types of lights.

4.No more than two emergency warning lights shall be installed on a vehicle. If one light is used it shall be installed in the center of the roof of the car, or on the front of the vehicle so that the top of the emergency warning light is no higher than the top of the vehicle's headlights, or in the center of the dashboard. It may be a low profile light bar of the strobe, halogen or incandescent type, or a combination thereof. If two lights are used they may be placed on the windshield columns on each side of the vehicle where spotlights are normally mounted, or on either side of the roof at the front of the vehicle directly back of the top of the windshield. Under no circumstances may one light be placed on the roof and one on the windshield column in the spotlight position. Light elements shall be shielded from direct sight or view of the driver.

L.1977,c.223,s.4; amended 1979, c.71, s.3; 2005, c.218, s.3.

In regards to red strips, Supplemental high-mounted stop lights that are SAE approved are OK. (http://www.njrec.org/Downloads/newmanualallsections.pdf, page 150)

Last edited by a moderator:

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
picone239 said:
No, you can't have red to the rear. Actually, you can't have anything to the rear:

4.No more than two emergency warning lights shall be installed on a vehicle. If one light is used it shall be installed in the center of the roof of the car, or on the front of the vehicle so that the top of the emergency warning light is no higher than the top of the vehicle's headlights, or in the center of the dashboard. It may be a low profile light bar of the strobe, halogen or incandescent type, or a combination thereof. If two lights are used they may be placed on the windshield columns on each side of the vehicle where spotlights are normally mounted, or on either side of the roof at the front of the vehicle directly back of the top of the windshield. Under no circumstances may one light be placed on the roof and one on the windshield column in the spotlight position. Light elements shall be shielded from direct sight or view of the driver.

In regards to red strips, Supplemental high-mounted stop lights that are SAE approved are OK. (http://www.njrec.org/Downloads/newmanualallsections.pdf, page 150)

That seems oddly-worded, however it doesn't say you can't have one rear facing light. It says where they MAY and CANNOT be placed but doesn't say you are limited to only those specific options. If it said MUST it would be a different story.

picone239

Jul 22, 2010
Paramus, NJ
JohnMarcson said:

Expanding on John's post:

39:3-54. Warning lights on vehicles

a. Any lighted lamp or illuminating device upon a motor vehicle other than a headlamp, spot lamp or auxiliary driving lamp which projects a beam of light of an intensity greater than 300 candlepower shall be so directed that no part of the beam will strike the level of the roadway on which the vehicle stands at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle. Flashing lights are prohibited on motor vehicles, motorcycles and motor-drawn vehicles except as a means for indicating a right or left turn; provided, however, any vehicle may be equipped, and when required under this article shall be equipped, with lamps for the purpose of warning the operators of other vehicles of the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring the exercise of unusual care in approaching, overtaking or passing, and when so equipped, shall display such warning in addition to any other warning signals required by law. The lamps used to display such warning shall be of a type approved by the Director of the Division of Motor Vehicles; those used to display warning to the front shall be mounted at the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable, and shall display simultaneously flashing white or amber lights, or any shade of color between white and amber. The lamps used to display such warning to the rear shall be mounted at the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable, and shall show simultaneously flashing amber or red lights, or any shade of color between amber and red. These warning lights shall be visible from a distance of not less than 500 feet at any time when lighted lamps are required. The two front and two rear turn signals shall be flashed simultaneously to display such warning on vehicles of the types mentioned in section 39:3-64.

b. In addition to the flashing devices permitted in subsection a. of this section, an omnibus may be equipped with two flashing devices for the purpose of warning the operators of other vehicles and law enforcement officials that an emergency situation exists within the omnibus.

These devices shall be capable of activation by the operator of the omnibus and shall be of a type approved by the Director of the Division of Motor Vehicles.

They shall be mounted one at the front and one at the rear of the omnibus and shall display flashing red lights which shine on the roadway under the vehicle.

Amended by L. 1956, c. 27, p. 70, s. 1; L. 1964, c. 136, s. 4; L. 1985, c. 536, s. 1.

39:3-54.7 Mounting and operation of emergency warning lights.

1. a. An active member in good standing of any of the following organizations may mount and operate, on a motor vehicle operated by that member, an emergency warning light or lights as provided in P.L.1977, c.223 (C.39:3-54.7 et seq.):

(1) a volunteer fire company or a volunteer first aid or rescue squad recognized by and rendering service in any municipality; or

(2) any county or municipal volunteer Office of Emergency Management recognized by and rendering service in any county or municipality, provided the member's official duties include responding to a fire or emergency call.

b. The Chief Administrator of the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission shall not require the member to specify on which motor vehicles the emergency warning light or lights may be mounted.

L.1977,c.223,s.1; amended 1979, c.71, s.1; 1995, c.37, s.1; 2005, c.34, s.2; 2005, c.218, s.1.

39:3-54.8. Time of operation

Emergency warning lights may be operated only while the vehicle is being used in answering a fire or emergency call.

L.1977, c. 223, s. 2, eff. Sept. 16, 1977.

39:3-54.9 Specifications.

3. Emergency warning lights shall be removable or permanently attached, of the flashing or revolving type, equipped with a blue lens and controlled by a switch installed inside the vehicle or shall be blue of the light bar type, in accordance with the specifications prescribed by the chief administrator.

L.1977,c.223,s.3; amended 1979, c.71, s.2; 2005, c.218, s.2.

4. No more than two emergency warning lights shall be installed on a vehicle. If one light is used it shall be installed in the center of the roof of the car, or on the front of the vehicle so that the top of the emergency warning light is no higher than the top of the vehicle's headlights, or in the center of the dashboard. It may be a low profile light bar of the strobe, halogen or incandescent type, or a combination thereof. If two lights are used they may be placed on the windshield columns on each side of the vehicle where spotlights are normally mounted, or on either side of the roof at the front of the vehicle directly back of the top of the windshield. Under no circumstances may one light be placed on the roof and one on the windshield column in the spotlight position. Light elements shall be shielded from direct sight or view of the driver.

39:3-54.11 Identification cards; issuance.

5. a. The Chief Administrator of the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission shall prepare suitable identification cards bearing the signature of the chief administrator which, upon the request of the mayor or chief executive officer of any municipality recognizing and being served by a volunteer fire company or a volunteer first aid or rescue squad on a form and in a manner prescribed by the chief administrator, shall be forwarded to the mayor or chief executive officer, to be countersigned and issued by the mayor or chief executive officer to the members in good standing of the volunteer fire company or first aid or rescue squad.

b. Identification cards issued pursuant to this section and sections 5 and 6 of P.L.2005, c.34 (C.39:3-54.22 and C.39:3-54.23)shall be considered permits to mount and operate emergency warning lights as provided for in P.L.1977, c.223 (C.39:3-54.7 et seq.) and shall apply to any motor vehicle driven by the member of a volunteer fire company, a volunteer first aid or rescue squad or a volunteer Office of Emergency Management. Emergency warning lights shall not be mounted prior to the issuance of the identification cards. Each member of a volunteer fire company, a volunteer first aid or rescue squad or a volunteer Office of Emergency Management must carry the identification card while an emergency warning light or lights are operated on the vehicle.

L.1977,c.223,s.5; amended 1995, c.37, s.2; 2005, c.34, s.3; 2005, c.218, s.4.

39:3-54.12 Rights of motor vehicle with emergency lights in operation.

6. Nothing contained herein is intended to grant to any member of a volunteer fire company, a volunteer first aid or rescue squad or a volunteer Office of Emergency Management any privileges or exemptions denied to the drivers of other vehicles, and such members operating emergency warning lights shall drive with due regard for the safety of all persons and shall obey all the traffic laws of this State including R.S.39:4-81, provided, however, that the drivers of non-emergency vehicles upon any highway shall yield the right of way to the vehicle of any member of a volunteer fire company, a volunteer first aid or rescue squad or a volunteer Office of Emergency Management operating emergency warning lights in the same manner as is provided for authorized emergency vehicles pursuant to R.S.39:4-92.

L.1977,c.223,s.6; amended 2005, c.34, s.4; 2005, c.218, s.5.

39:3-54.13 Violation of act; penalty.

7. Any person authorized to operate emergency warning lights pursuant to P.L.1977, c.223 (C.39:3-54.7 et seq.) who willfully operates such emergency warning lights in violation of the provisions of P.L.1977, c.223 (C.39:3-54.7 et seq.) shall be liable to a penalty of not more than $100 and the person's privilege to operate such emergency warning lights may be suspended or revoked by the Chief Administrator of the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission. A person who is not authorized to operate emergency warning lights who willfully operates such emergency warning lights shall be liable to a penalty of not more than $200.

L.1977,c.223,s.7; amended 1995, c.37, s.3; 2005, c.218, s.6.

39:3-54.14. Special identification lights; vehicles of licensed private detective businesses; permits; penalty for violation

a. The director may issue permits authorizing vehicles of licensed private detective businesses under contractual agreement to provide community security services in planned developments as defined in the "Municipal Land Use Law" P.L.1975, c. 291 (C. 40:55D-1 et seq.), to be equipped with and display a special identification light. Issuance of such permits shall, in addition, be approved and signed by the chief law enforcement official in the municipality in which such permit shall be used. The permit shall specify the type of light, the manner in which it shall be displayed and the conditions under which the operator of the vehicle may drive or move the vehicle when the light is in use. The permit shall also specify the color of the light, which shall be other than red. The permit for the use of the special identification light shall be carried by the operator while the light is displayed on the vehicle.

b. The permit shall be valid only when the specifications and conditions contained therein are complied with, and the director may cancel or revoke a permit issued pursuant to this act whenever the conditions for its issuance no longer exist or on any other reasonable grounds. The director shall charge a $25.00 fee for the issuance of each such permit.

c. Any person authorized to display a special identification light pursuant to this act who displays or uses said light in violation of the provisions of this act shall be liable to a penalty of $50.00 for the first offense, and $100.00 for the second and each subsequent offense.

L.1979, c. 314, s. 1, eff. Jan. 18, 1980.

39:3-54.15 Warning lights, sirens on vehicle of volunteer fire, first aid or rescue squad chiefs or officers.

1. A current chief or first assistant chief of a volunteer fire company, or chief officer of a first aid or rescue squad, recognized by and rendering service in any municipality may mount and operate on a motor vehicle owned by him and registered in his name a red emergency warning light or lights, a siren, or both, as prescribed in P.L.1985, c.171 (C.39:3-54.15 et seq.). The size and type of lights and siren, and the location of their controls, shall be determined by the Chief Administrator of the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission.

L.1985,c.171,s.1; amended 2005, c.218, s.7.

39:3-54.16. Placement of lights

All red emergency lights shall be mounted on the exterior of the motor vehicle. No more than two red emergency warning lights shall be installed on a vehicle. If one light is used it shall be installed in the center of the roof of the vehicle, or on the left windshield column in a position where a spotlight is normally located. If two lights are used they may be placed on the windshield columns on each side of the vehicle where spotlights are normally mounted, or on either side of the roof at the front of the vehicle directly back of the top of the windshield. Under no circumstances may one light be placed on the roof and one on a windshield column in the spotlight position. They shall be operated only while the vehicle is being used by the registered owner chief or first assistant chief in answering a fire or emergency call.

L. 1985, c. 171, s. 2, eff. May 31, 1985.

39:3-54.17. Siren mounting, operation

All sirens shall be mounted under the hood of the motor vehicle and shall be operated only while the vehicle is being used by the registered owner chief or first assistant chief in answering a fire or emergency call.

L. 1985, c. 171, s. 3, eff. May 31, 1985.

39:3-54.18. Identification cards

The Director of the Division of Motor Vehicles shall prepare suitable identification cards bearing the signature of the director, which, upon the request of the mayor or chief executive officer of any municipality recognizing and being served by a volunteer fire company, on a form and in a manner prescribed by the director, shall be forwarded to the mayor or chief executive officer, to be countersigned and issued by the mayor or chief executive officer to the chief or first assistant chief of the volunteer fire company. Identification cards issued pursuant to this section shall be considered permits to display and operate red emergency warning lights, sirens, or both, as provided for in this act, and no lights or sirens shall be mounted prior to the issuance of the identification cards. Each chief or first assistant chief of a volunteer fire company shall carry the identification card while red emergency warning lights, sirens, or both, are displayed on his vehicle.

L. 1985, c. 171, s. 4, eff. May 31, 1985.

39:3-54.19. Subject to traffic laws; right-of-way or sirens; yielding right of way

This act shall not grant to any chief or first assistant chief of a volunteer fire company any privileges or exemptions denied to the drivers of other vehicles, and persons displaying red emergency warning lights, sirens, or both, shall drive with due regard for the safety of all persons and shall obey the traffic laws of this State; but drivers of nonemergency vehicles upon any highway shall yield the right of way to the vehicle of any chief or first assistant chief of a volunteer fire company displaying red emergency warning lights, sirens, or both, in the same manner as is provided for authorized emergency vehicles pursuant to R.S. 39:4-92.

L. 1985, c. 171, s. 5, eff. May 31, 1985.

39:3-54.20. Penalty for violation

Any person authorized to display red emergency warning lights, sirens, or both, pursuant to this act, who willfully displays or uses the lights or sirens in violation of the provisions of this act, shall be liable to a penalty of not more than $50.00 and his privilege to display the lights or sirens may be suspended or revoked by the Director of the Division of Motor Vehicles.

L. 1985, c. 171, s. 6, eff. May 31, 1985.

39:3-54.21. Rural letter carriers permitted to use amber warning light on motor vehicle; rules, regulations

a. Any employee of the United States Postal Service who, as part of his assigned duties as a rural route letter carrier, is required to use a motor vehicle owned or leased by him or a member of his family in the performance of his duties may display on that motor vehicle an amber warning light.

The amber warning light may be operated only while the motor vehicle is being used by the United States Postal Service employee in the performance of his duties as a rural letter carrier.

The amber warning lights authorized under the provisions of this act shall be temporarily attached, removable lights of the flashing or revolving type, not more than 7 1/2 inches in diameter, not more than 51 candlepower, and shall be controlled by a switch installed inside the vehicle.

While in operation, the amber warning light shall be conspicuously displayed on the roof of the motor vehicle.

Nothing herein shall be construed to grant any person displaying and operating an amber warning light pursuant to the provisions of this act any privileges or exemptions denied to the drivers of other motor vehicles and all such persons shall drive with due regard for the safety of all persons and shall obey the traffic laws of this State.

b. The Director of the Division of Motor Vehicles, in accordance with the provisions of the "Administrative Procedure Act," P.L.1968, c.410 (C.52:14B-1 et seq.), shall promulgate rules and regulations to effectuate the purposes of this act.

L.1991,c.4,s.1.

39:3-54.22 Application, approval for permit to display emergency light by county volunteer Office of Emergency Management member.

5. An active member of a county volunteer Office of Emergency Management shall submit an application for a permit to the County Emergency Management Coordinator prior to displaying an emergency warning light or lights pursuant to the provisions of this act. The coordinator shall approve the application if the volunteer's official duties require him to respond to fire or emergency calls. The completed application shall be forwarded to the Director of the Board of Chosen Freeholders or other appropriate authority of the county that recognizes and serves the applicant's Office of Emergency Management. Upon approval, the mayor or chief executive officer shall forward the application to the Chief Administrator of the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission for issuance of the permit

L.2005,c.34,s.5.

39:3-54.23 Application, approval for permit to display emergency light by municipal volunteer Office of Emergency Management member.

6. An active member of a municipal volunteer Office of Emergency Management shall submit an application to the Municipal Emergency Management Coordinator to display an emergency warning light or lights pursuant to the provisions of this act. The coordinator shall approve the application if the volunteer's official duties require him to respond to fire or emergency calls. The completed application shall be forwarded to the mayor or chief executive officer of the municipality that recognizes and serves the applicant's Office of Emergency Management. Upon approval, the mayor or chief executive officer shall forward the application to the Chief Administrator of the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission for issuance of the permit.

L.2005,c.34,s.6.

39:3-54.24 Employee of public utility, use of amber light on motor vehicle permitted; fee.

1. An authorized employee of a public utility company who, as part of the official duties of a public utility employee, is required to use a motor vehicle owned or leased by him or a member of his family in the performance of his duties may apply for and be issued a permit by the chief administrator authorizing the display on that motor vehicle of an amber warning light that is provided by the public utility company. The permit for the amber warning light shall be in the possession of the public utility employee while the light is displayed on the motor vehicle. The chief administrator may cancel, suspend, or revoke a permit issued pursuant to this act whenever the conditions for its issuance no longer exist or for any other reasonable grounds. The chief administrator shall collect a $25 fee for the initial issuance and for each subsequent renewal of the permit for each vehicle for which the applicant seeks authorization to use an amber warning light. The fees collected pursuant to this section shall be considered revenue of the commission and shall not be subject to the calculation of proportional revenue remitted to the commission pursuant to section 105 of P.L.2003, c.13 (C.39:2A-36).

The amber warning light may be operated for the protection of the public and the public utility employee only while the motor vehicle is being used on a public highway by the authorized public utility employee in the performance of his official duties as a public utility employee.

The amber warning lights authorized under the provisions of this act shall be temporarily attached, removable lights of the flashing or revolving type, not more than 7 1/2 inches in diameter, and shall be controlled by a switch installed inside the vehicle.

While in operation, the amber warning light shall be conspicuously displayed on the roof of the motor vehicle.

Nothing herein shall be construed to grant any person displaying and operating an amber warning light pursuant to the provisions of this act any privileges or exemptions denied to the drivers of other motor vehicles and all such persons shall drive with due regard for the safety of all persons and shall obey the traffic laws of this State.

L.2007,c.242,s.1.

39:3-54.25 Use of public utility company logo by employee on motor vehicle.

2. Notwithstanding the provisions of section 2 of P.L.1968, c.439 (C.39:3-8.1), an authorized employee of a public utility company who, as part of the official duties of a public utility employee, is required to use a motor vehicle owned or leased by him or a member of his family in the performance of his duties may affix on that motor vehicle a magnetic sign, provided by the public utility company, that displays the corporate logo of the public utility company. The sign shall be placed on the exterior of the front driver's side door of the motor vehicle.

The sign may only be displayed while the motor vehicle is being used on a public highway by the authorized public utility employee in the performance of his official duties as a public employee, and shall be removed from the motor vehicle when the vehicle is not being used in the performance of these duties.

L.2007,c.242,s.2.

39:3-54.26 Improper use of amber light, logo; penalty.

3. Any person authorized to display an amber warning light or a magnetic sign pursuant to this act, who willfully uses the light or displays the sign in violation of the provisions of this act, shall be liable to a penalty of not more than $100 and his permit to display the light may be cancelled, suspended, or revoked by the chief administrator.

L.2007,c.242,s.3.

39:3-54.27 Flashing amber warning lights, display on sanitation vehicles; authorized.

1. a. Sanitation vehicles operated by a local public entity, or by a licensed solid waste collection company pursuant to a State or local permit, license, contract, or franchise with a local public entity, and used to collect and transport garbage, solid wastes, and refuse may display flashing amber warning lights of a type approved by the chief administrator while stopped upon a street and while engaged in the collection of garbage, solid wastes, and refuse or while moving between stops at a speed not greater than 10 miles per hour.

b. Nothing herein shall be construed to grant any person displaying flashing amber warning lights pursuant to the provisions of this act any privileges or exemptions denied to the drivers of other motor vehicles and all such persons shall drive with due regard for the safety of all persons and shall obey the traffic laws of this State.

c. The chief administrator shall promulgate guidelines to effectuate the purposes of this act.

L.2011, c.3, s.1.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
NJ has some of the most messed up lighting laws in the nation, and depending on where in the state you are depends on how strictly enforced they are. In Northern NJ (specifically Bergen and Passaic Counties) a lot of the local LEOs are super picky about the lighting laws for POVs. I've personally witnessed a POV get impounded and towed because of gross violation of the lighting laws and using the violating equipment while responding (non chief officer running red/blue and a siren). This particular individual was also issued multiple tickets and arrested on impersonation charges but that's another story.

hyperjohnny

Nov 1, 2010
WI USA
LFD-Mike said:
Amber- Fair Game
Red- Required on all emergency vehicles, tow trucks and other non-emergency vehicles stationary on the road presenting a hazard to normal traffic

Green- Incident Command only, and only 1 per incident

Blue- Law Enforcement over passenger-side only. May also be used for Incident Command.

White- as secondary lighting on any emergency vehicle.

Siren- all authorized emergency vehicles

Pre-Emption- Opticom type systems are govt emergency vehicles only. Sonem type any emergency vehicle. GPS/Radio systems undefined

Authorized Emergency Vehicle- All govt owned emergency vehicles and volunteers. Volunteers require no permit or individual authorization, but departments need to get blanket ok from municipality

I'll try and dig the statutory references later

White on Fire, Ambulance or fire/emt POV's only...NO law enforcement, snow plows, tow trucks...etc...

brianmcfa

Nov 27, 2012
Nebraska
Here are Nebraska's light laws. Basically red is used on emergency vehicles and they may add white or blue lights. Tow trucks, mail, utilities, etc. get amber. School buses get a single white strobe. But the one that gets me is snow plows use amber/blue.

60-6,229. Lights, red or green, in front of vehicle prohibited; exceptions.

Except as provided in sections 60-6,230 to 60-6,233, it shall be unlawful for any person to drive or move any vehicle upon a highway with any red or green light thereon visible from directly in front thereof. This section shall not apply to police or fire department or fire patrol vehicles or school buses.

60-6,230. Lights; rotating or flashing; colored lights; when permitted.

(1) Except as provided in sections 60-6,231 to 60-6,233 and subsections (4) and (5) of this section, no person shall operate any motor vehicle or any equipment of any description on any highway in this state with any rotating or flashing light.

(2) Except for stop lights and directional signals, which may be red, yellow, or amber, no person shall display any color of light other than red on the rear of any motor vehicle or any equipment of any kind on any highway within this state.

(3) Amber rotating or flashing lights shall be displayed on vehicles of the Military Department for purpose of convoy control when on any state emergency mission.

(4) A single flashing white light may be displayed on the roof of school transportation vehicles during extremely adverse weather conditions.

(5) Blue and amber rotating or flashing lights may be displayed on vehicles used for the movement of snow when operated by the Department of Roads or any local authority.

60-6,231. Flashing or rotating lights; authorized emergency vehicles; colors permitted.

A flashing or rotating red light or red and white light shall be displayed on any authorized emergency vehicle whenever operated in this state. A blue light may also be displayed with such flashing or rotating red light or red and white light. For purposes of this section, an authorized emergency vehicle shall include funeral escort vehicles.

60-6,232. Rotating or flashing amber light; when permitted.

A rotating or flashing amber light or lights shall be displayed on the roof of any motor vehicle being operated by any rural mail carrier outside the corporate limits of any municipality in this state on or near any highway in the process of delivering mail.

A rotating or flashing amber light or lights may be displayed on (1) any vehicle of the Military Department while on any state emergency mission, (2) any motor vehicle being operated by any public utility, vehicle service, or towing service or any publicly or privately owned construction or maintenance vehicle while performing its duties on or near any highway, (3) any motor vehicle being operated by any member of the Civil Air Patrol, (4) any pilot vehicle escorting an overdimensional load, (5) any vehicle while actually engaged in the moving of houses, buildings, or other objects of extraordinary bulk, including unbaled livestock forage as authorized by subdivision (2)(f) of section 60-6,288, (6) any motor vehicle owned by or operated on behalf of a railroad carrier that is stopped to load or unload passengers, or (7) any motor vehicle operated by or for an emergency management worker as defined in section 81-829.39 or a storm spotter as defined in section 81-829.67 who is activated by a local emergency management organization.

60-6,233. Rotating or flashing red light or red and blue lights; when permitted; application; permit; expiration.

(1)(a) A rotating or flashing red light or lights or such light or lights in combination with a blue light or lights may be displayed on any motor vehicle operated by any volunteer firefighter or peace officer anywhere in this state while actually en route to the scene of a fire or other emergency requiring his or her services as a volunteer firefighter or peace officer but only after its use has been authorized in writing by the county sheriff.

( B) Application for a permit to display such light shall be made in writing to the sheriff on forms to be prescribed and furnished by the Superintendent of Law Enforcement and Public Safety. The application shall be accompanied by a statement that the applicant is a volunteer firefighter or peace officer and is requesting issuance of the permit. The statement shall be signed by the applicant's superior.

© The permit shall be carried at all times in the vehicle named in the permit. Each such permit shall expire on December 31 of each year and shall be renewed in the same manner as it was originally issued.

(d) The sheriff may at any time revoke such permit upon a showing of abuse thereof or upon receipt of notice from the applicant's superior that the holder thereof is no longer an active volunteer firefighter or peace officer. Any person whose permit has been so revoked shall upon demand surrender it to the sheriff or his or her authorized agent.

(2) A rotating or flashing red light or lights or such light or lights in combination with a blue light or lights may be displayed on any motor vehicle being used by rescue squads actually en route to, at, or returning from any emergency requiring their services, or by any privately owned wrecker when engaged in emergency services at the scene of an accident, or at a disabled vehicle, located outside the city limits of a city of the metropolitan or primary class, but only after its use has been authorized in writing by the county sheriff. Applications shall be made and may be revoked in the same manner as for volunteer firefighters as provided in subsection (1) of this section.

Donnie

Apr 3, 2013
NJ
I have to find my application again, but POVs used for State construction jobs can get amber permit.

Also, which is what I applied for, I can have them on my Company owned vehicles because I work in or at the side of the road. Most companies that work in or on the side of the road have amber/white lighting.

I use them mainly for my and my workers safety. It also helps keep my insurance rate down since I am doing what I can to prevent accidents and injuries.

The only time I "abuse" my use of lighting is if I come upon an accident or other dangerous situation before the LEOs respond. As any one who drives in NJ can attest, even during a serious wreck, other drivers will push their way through the scene no matter what until the LEOs show up. Even then some will try to get through at all costs. I generally will park my truck with the lights going to block the traffic from driving through an accident scene, or park in such a manner to prevent an accident or injury until the LEOs can take over.

I have yet to run into a LEO who hassled me for using my lights for a purpose other than why I have them. I don't think there has been a single time the LEOs have not thanked me for my assistance. Generally, if I didn't witness the incidence, they don't even ask me for my information. My local LEOs, and the Troopers who patrol my area, supply me with road flares and minor medical supplies (sadly they can't provide with the good stuff because of some ridiculous drug regulations [jk]).

In my local area, I basically have honorary Incident Command until the LEOs can respond. I usually advise dispatch of the situation so they can determine the urgency of the accident and better use available personnel. Dispatch knows my cell number so when I call in a incidence, they know if I say an ambulance, fire truck or tow truck is needed, they don't need to wait for an officer to confirm, the personnel is dispatched immediately.

It was my local PD that suggested I install warning lighting for safety.

My current setup is four white corners (front turn, clear lenses, and reverse lighting, clear lenses) and four amber flashers (two front, grill mounted, and two rear, inside cap high mounted). I'm planning on adding four more amber flashers (license plate mounting front/rear), cab light flasher/traffic advisor and a rear traffic advisor with end flashers.

According to the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission, I will be 100% legal. But, I guess it really is up to interpretation. The problem with most Laws is that they are not clearly written, and often hard to understand. I saw a petition from one poster, I'd like to see a petition that demands every law be concisely written in plain American English without and goobledy-gook.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
While I agree with the better part of your statement , I have to mount my soapbox. Legal or not, I ( and many members of the board [although I speak solely for myself] ) have serious concerns and an utter disdain for anything clear to the rear. While you aren't FD, NFPA has made clear rulings against it, as have many of the major agencies out there. For the sheer and simple aspect that it does the exact opposite of what warning lights are meant to do. Especially at night or inclement weather, clear/white to rear is beyond blinding. So instead of helping a problem, they add ( in a major way, IMHO ) to the danger/problem. Amber HAWs/LAWs would be a 110% improvement given your lighting requirements/needs. I hope you give this some due thought. *descends soap box*

Donnie

Apr 3, 2013
NJ
All four of the corner lights enter the cab with a single lead. The lights are sync'd. I am looking into a way to run just the fronts at night, but not sure how to wire it that way so there isn't feed back into the rears, and still keeping all the lights sync'd.

I am looking at the Whelen ION for the new amber flashers, specifically to sync them with the Vertex HAWs. I like a more uniform flashing/strobing rather than a bunch of random flashing lights.

I haven't been in a really dark area since this install (my previous vehicle had "clouded" white reverse lights so it muted the brightness), so not sure how bad the rear white is for other drivers yet, but in well lit areas, the lights are below normal visual level so do not blind drivers coming up from behind. Most of the time my lights are only on during the daylight hours and that is why need the visibility of them.

Buying amber vertex is not currently an option because of the cost. I am searching for a used set that has the full leads still and the gaskets, but so for only seen red, blue (neither allowed for my install) and of course white/clear.

Anybody knows for sure how to wire the lights so I can keep them sync'd and only use the fronts at night, please let me know. Currently have opposite corners flashing together.

Off topic: Anyone know the best sealant to use for the HAWs in the front light assemblies? Have 2005 Dodge Ram with the double housing. Had to drill a large hole in the outer shell to mount the Vertex in the park/turn reflector, but now need to seal the outer hole against weather without causing the Vertex to lose their heat dissipation.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Phoenix_Rising said:
While I agree with the better part of your statement , I have to mount my soapbox. Legal or not, I ( and many members of the board [although I speak solely for myself] ) have serious concerns and an utter disdain for anything clear to the rear. While you aren't FD, NFPA has made clear rulings against it, as have many of the major agencies out there. For the sheer and simple aspect that it does the exact opposite of what warning lights are meant to do. Especially at night or inclement weather, clear/white to rear is beyond blinding. So instead of helping a problem, they add ( in a major way, IMHO ) to the danger/problem. Amber HAWs/LAWs would be a 110% improvement given your lighting requirements/needs. I hope you give this some due thought. *descends soap box*

I'm not sure if I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but there is a Texas law that prohibits clear to the rear; but clear bulbs in the "mountain-light" type beacons are allowed. I would guess is because they're only momentarily seen to the rear. Some of Superior Coach's earlier ambulances and combinations had a manual backup light switch just inside the rear door for use as loading lights. Our 1963 Pontiac Consort ambulance had such an arragement, and it got my butt chewed on by a rookieDPS trooper one night. We had man a run from the local racetrack to the ER one Friday night, and as we were leaving the track following the races we were stopped by this young trooper. I had just gotten onto the service road and had barely accelerated to about 35 when we were stopped. The young trooper said to me, "Do you know the speed limit on this part of the service road?" I responded that the speed limit was 45 and that I was barely doing 35. At that he yelled at me, "Don't tell me what you were doing when I tell you differenlty!" Then he led me to the back of the ambulance and pointed to the backup lights which were on. He then told me that clear to the rear was illegal with a vehicle in motion. So I told him that I thought I knew what the problem was. I opened the rear door and flipped the manual backup light switch and off they went. I figured that was the end of it; but the trooper went on and on until his sergeantwalked over and told the trooper that enough was enough and that I had corrected the problem. He turned to me and said we could go. When I sat down in the driver's seat, my partner for the night who was actually a state police officer (Texas Tech police) told me to wait and listen! Sure enough, the sergeant chewed on that poor rookie about his behaviour and that that was no way to talk to a citizen....any citizen. Hmmm!

lambo2936

Apr 11, 2013
Central NJ
Hey all. New around here. Joined to try and get rid of some stuff ive got and also got a few questions about getting a permit myself around here.

I've got an '11 f150 Screw Lariat. Nice truck, to say the least hehe.

Anyhow, i recently had a hidden winch mount and cheapo 12,000 winch installed behind my bumper. I Do snow recovery in the winter, and honestly i thought itd be cool to screw around with. Anyhow, how that i decided to get the winch and take the recovery stuff more seriously (especially since i snowmobile up in upstate NY. Couldnt hurt to have a winch), i was thinking of getting an amber light permit. I Also do construction and it couldn't hurt to have a permit for that reason, for whenever i'm blocking the road when we are loading or unloading machines.

Anyways, ive run into a potential problem getting the permit; NJ Does not offer an amber light permit for non-commercial vehicles.. They have them for tow vehicles, etc. and construction vehicles and such but all are for commercial vehicles. I have legitimate reasons but im not sure ill be able to get one? i emailed the dmv about it and they said to call so i have to call. Hopefully i can get a permit :/. Has anyone here gotten a permit in NJ and somehow been exempt from their requirements? Im hoping i can somehow get by that BS. I can get commercial plates if i wanted to, but i DONT want commercial plates because of all the consequences.. no more parkway, etc..

Not worth it!! That being said, the lights are'nt 100000% NECESSARY however it certainly wouldnt hurt to have when im out in blizzards and crap trying to help people out... we all know even hazards wont help if its bad out.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.