Official "Whacker" or "Screwed Up Install" Thread

Is this the worst spotlight install you have ever seen?

• Yes

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • No

Votes: 37 78.7%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2010
Irving TX
ISU_Cyclone said:
Police explorer whacker

I've never been through police or fire explorers. So someone that has, do they tell you to go put blinkies and sirens in your vehicles or is there just a select group that takes it too far?

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Explorers are a division of the BoyScouts. It's for juveniles interested in different careers (LEO, Fire, EMS). There's absolutely NO reason for them to have blinkies or woo-woos.

SSgt Elmer

May 21, 2010
NE WI, USA
I was a Police Explorer many moons ago. Blinkies and sirens and any vehicular equipment are expressly forbidden for any explorer.

Reactions: PJD642

chono

Jun 5, 2010
Midwest
Bigredinstalls said:
I've never been through police or fire explorers. So someone that has, do they tell you to go put blinkies and sirens in your vehicles or is there just a select group that takes it too far?

They are LEDs not strobes! That annoys the heck out of me!

Oct 27, 2010
Irving TX
chono said:
They are LEDs not strobes! That annoys the heck out of me!

...ok? moving on.

Heres one for the Screwed Up Install category. Oh and ain't she a bute.

Last edited by a moderator:

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Bigredinstalls said:
...ok? moving on.

Heres one for the Screwed Up Install category. Oh and ain't she a bute.

http://www.youtube.com/user/iakentdoz#p/u/2/Wa-k7SX0kw0

What's wrong with it? Other than the patterns/sync... While the TIR6s and 3s might not be completely necessary, it's not overdone.

There is a plow attached to the front of the truck, which I'd assume is the reason for the lights.

Oct 27, 2010
Irving TX
rwo978 said:
What's wrong with it? Other than the patterns/sync... While the TIR6s and 3s might not be completely necessary, it's not overdone.

There is a plow attached to the front of the truck, which I'd assume is the reason for the lights.

I'm not at all calling him a whacker. look at the wires hanging from the headache rack. Thats why I'm filing this one under the screwed up install file.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
PJD642 said:
Just want to make sure I'm reading that correctly - you've got a shotgun in an overhead mount in your POV? If so, AWESOME! I'd toyed with the idea of throwing a lock for the AR into the rear storage compartment of the Durango behind the third seat but never did. And honestly, I can't justify the need to do it, even to myself

Thanks It's for work, I sometimes use my POV when the car is in the shop because i don't like driving our ancient 96 crown vic with a strobe vista bar (that sucks). But i do it because sometimes back up is far away and you never know when shit can hit the fan. Also i really wouldn't recommend doing it unless thats your use, as you could get into some deep shit! But there really aren't any ups to having it in you're pov, its kind of more of a hassel than anything else, plus it takes up a lot of head room, my partner is 5ft 11 and sometimes hits his head on the stock of the gun when he gets in.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
Jarred J. said:
Officers later located the car and found police equipment inside, including a camera system, spotlight, PA system, siren and red reflectors in the front grill.

yeah nothing says "i'ma cop" like some red reflectors in your grill. :roll:

He's just being green, that's all..

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
firefighter221 said:
I think I threw up in mouth a little bit.... It would be nice if he used all the same type of switches on the dash and GOT THEM MOUNTED IN A STRAIGHT ROW...

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
So you put tape of the lightbar control panel because it is bright at night, but then have 5 cheesy LED lighted switches to blind you?

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I do like the set up from the outside. I just dont really like the switches and stuff on the inside. I dont think its too bad.

Oct 27, 2010
Irving TX
Station 3 said:
I do like the set up from the outside. I just dont really like the switches and stuff on the inside. I dont think its too bad.
+1 on the wiring. My only complaint is change that dim stl for a nice libert or somthing.

Nov 1, 2010
Mass.
I'm not a big fan of the split colors on EVERY lighthead that he has, plus the rear LED HAWs are not well placed... the ones in the taillight are barely visible, with the white led and red housing. Also the LP mounted ones didn't look synced to me...

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
That looks like a WalMart security vehicle, and it is probably a lease vehicle intended specifically for their parking lot. That would explain not wanting to scratch the roof with the minibar's magnets.

FedSigFan

May 21, 2010
DFW
This was a DART (public transit) fleet car, that had apparenty arrived to help fix the bus parked behind it that would not start. But I bet the lease theory could still apply!

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
FedSigFan said:
This was a DART (public transit) fleet car, that had apparenty arrived to help fix the bus parked behind it that would not start. But I bet the lease theory could still apply!

And that body style of Taurus is what 7-8 years old???

Oct 27, 2010
Irving TX
dustymedic said:
And that body style of Taurus is what 7-8 years old???
Yep... Seems like dart is using just about any vehicle they can get their hands on.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
FedSigFan said:

DART does not lease any vehciles, they are a state funded transit company. They probably just do not want it on the roof.

Oct 27, 2010
Irving TX
K9Vic said:
DART does not lease any vehciles, they are a state funded transit company. They probably just do not want it on the roof.
All Due Respect, but

Just because they are state funded, doesn't mean that they dont lease vehicles. Dallas PD uses leased cars all the time. (not cruisers)

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
This was just too good to pass up.

Click an image to engrande it.

At a strip mall in Fairfax County, I saw this. Looks okay, right? A rent-a-cop with an AeroStar lightbar.

ai1006.photobucket.com_albums_af184_doodofnerdlyness_foe_toez_P1010049.jpg

I was too far away to read the label, but my camera can see better than I can.

ai1006.photobucket.com_albums_af184_doodofnerdlyness_foe_toez_P1010050.jpg

Then behind it I see this, and found it somewhat amusing.

ai1006.photobucket.com_albums_af184_doodofnerdlyness_foe_toez_P1010047.jpg

And then I go around to the front...

ai1006.photobucket.com_albums_af184_doodofnerdlyness_foe_toez_P1010048.jpg

Green lights are legal in Virginia only on emergency command centers.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
nerdly_dood said:
I was too far away to read the label, but my camera can see better than I can.
ai1006.photobucket.com_albums_af184_doodofnerdlyness_foe_toez_P1010050.jpg

It only says "WARNING LIGHTBAR. ( :weird: )" Well.....yeah, they do warn people, but it's how well they warn people based on their design and effectiveness. Plus, its legitimacy comes into question too.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
CrownVic97 said:
Plus, its legitimacy comes into question too.

If the one on the Impala is any indication i don't think there's any question at all about its legitimacy.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Very true..... :crazy:

BigDogg795

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
CrownVic97 said:
It only says "WARNING LIGHTBAR. ( :weird: )" Well.....yeah, they do warn people, but it's how well they warn people based on their design and effectiveness. Plus, its legitimacy comes into question too.

Well it warns me to stay the hell away when it fails and catches on fire! :duh:

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
CrownVic97 said:
It only says "WARNING LIGHTBAR.

What do expect when Chinese workers are trying to copy a patented light bar?

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
dustymedic said:
What do expect when Chinese workers are trying to copy a patented light bar?

Not much, I guess.... :haha:

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY

Same truck in both, the second is daytime and has the reds in the front and sides turned off.

The best is his video description: "All Whelen, no bullshit"

The install looks really clean, you wouldn't notice most of his lights when they're off (except maybe the TIR3's on the sides and the TIR6's on the mirrors.)

The vertexes in the marker lights on the cab was creative, but one in the middle was a little overdone and falls into the "blur category" (5 of them in that thing.)

I also liked the idea of the vertexes on the doors (not that he has an actual need for that) but I wouldn't have used red, I would have used amber or blue to make it stand out more (red blends in with tail lights too much.)

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
bfd740 said:

Just using so many lights that he needs creative places to put them doesn't necessarily mean he's a whacker. Cool flash pattern in the taillight hideaways, though.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idk

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.