Official "Whacker" or "Screwed Up Install" Thread

Is this the worst spotlight install you have ever seen?

• Yes

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • No

Votes: 37 78.7%

• Total voters

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
Tristar said:
The owner of this wonderful vehicle brings new meaning to the word wacker:
**It looks like he took a vintage NYPD bar and put it on his wackermobile - that's disgraceful.

**He's a volunteer ambulance person in New York. They're not allowed to use blue. If he is with a VFD (or VAC) he sure shouldn't be using red!

**He mounted the NYPD bar to his luggage rack...say it isn't so.

**What's with the HUGE Star of Life on the door (probably has an identical sticker on the driver's door, too)?

**What purpose does "BRAVO" on his back side windows serve, other than to reduce visibility?

**And, finally...I love the front bumper made out of an old truck tire.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/code4north/5591256775/in/pool-2065967@N24|code4north

Change a few things and I'd actually like it. ditch the roof rack, SOL's on the front and rear doors (can see their on the rear glass also) and get area correct light colors, and I'd dig this thing. Heck, I'd drive it, looks like a beastly ride

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
parall4x said:
I'm terrified to see what kind of sync/patterns are set up on this configuration. Sorry if this isn't the right thread for this; the only other seemingly-appropriate one that I could find was closed.

Edit: Oh Jesus, I just noticed the positive battery terminal. GG.

View attachment 53829

Well at least he kinda understand the importance of intersection warning....... :rolleyes:

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
HILO said:
I guess it's my inner hayseed coming out, but those are kind of neat. Or will be until some hipster halves a Subaru, puts a Taxi top light on it, makes the deck out of bamboo, and puts an espresso machine on the deck. (free 'like' to the first person who gets the hipster/taxi top light)

I didn't say they weren't neat...

I said I couldn't describe them :bonk:

Aug 20, 2010
Texas USA

Jdozier80

Jul 6, 2013
Southeast Missouri
Lol I can imagine the fun... I just wonder what ppl in the UK think when they see it driving around. According to a video on the BBC, they're doing good business. I can imagine our good ole American whackers wet themselves when they see what their Euro counterparts can buy.

Not entirely convinced you can really describe them as whackers since all the vehicles don't correlate to actual Police/Emergency vehicles in Europe. (Only Russia, afaik, has used the Crown Vic.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
I wonder what local LEOs would do if you brought over a distinctly European/Asian emergency vehicle and decked it out as such... could you get pinged for impersonation if you were just using it as a show car?

foxtrot5 said:
I wonder what local LEOs would do if you brought over a distinctly European/Asian emergency vehicle and decked it out as such... could you get pinged for impersonation if you were just using it as a show car?

Well if it was Swedish or UK based, it'd be fairly obvious what it was with the battenberg pattern

Mrlunchbox

Jun 12, 2010
Central, MA
strobecrazy said:
Normal Georgia setup..... :hopeless:

I love the door seal... Couldn't be any bigger. LoL. I also love the whole "my grille light when out, that sucks". Hahaha. That's whSt you get for buying Chinese crap on eBay. Haha

jswwjw

Dec 10, 2010
Southern Indiana
I am in no way a professional upfitter but am called upon to install this or that for our Reserve or Mounted Patrol Unit. 05 Crown Victoria (hand me down as usual) deputy said his dash light would not work. Found 10 connections in 2 feet. Needless to say this light is now out of service.

10 connections in 2 feet.jpg

Muxlow

Jun 2, 2010
Middlesex/ontario
Why is there so many holes in the dash? And whats with the aftermarket stereo?

Would be the 1st time iv seen a in service police vehicle with a aftermarket stereo

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
Yep, too few connectors. Good catch!

Muxlow

Jun 2, 2010
Middlesex/ontario
OH! Thats the reason for all the connectors.

There HAS to be plenty more wire going past the air bags, and the reason for all the connectors is so WHEN the air bag makes it grand appearance the wires will just break into 30 parts to let the air bag out and not get all stuck in it.

Now that is some good logic! +2 for safety

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
I told you not to buy lights from FEVER.

:razz:

Last edited by a moderator:

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Muxlow said:
OH! Thats the reason for all the connectors.
There HAS to be plenty more wire going past the air bags, and the reason for all the connectors is so WHEN the air bag makes it grand appearance the wires will just break into 30 parts

Homemade claymore. Creative. Good for those annoying passengers in the vehicle! :thumbsup:

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
The only thing I see wrong is the apparent lack of speaker wire used as low voltage wiring... I mean.... c'mon. It's got a clear jacket!

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Muxlow said:
And whats with the aftermarket stereo? Would be the 1st time iv seen a in service police vehicle with a aftermarket stereo

I know an agency thats full of them. They order the radio deleted. If you want tunes, you provide them at your cost.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Muxlow said:
Why is there so many holes in the dash?

I'll assume they were from mic clips for the siren and radio...

Muxlow said:
And whats with the aftermarket stereo?
Would be the 1st time iv seen a in service police vehicle with a aftermarket stereo

I've installed one into a CVPI before...

dawson75

May 20, 2010
OHIO
I'll never understand why people do the things they do.....

I noticed you are on the road via your passenger side mirror. Did this wire fall out of the headliner?

Jan 19, 2012
Normal, IL
EVT said:
Stalker Radar Install FAIL (Yes we paid to have this done).

Literally the faces I was making while looking through those photos... I hope you didn't pay when they took it back to fix it. Wow.

:blinkhuh: :blinkhuh: :eyebrowhuh: :dunce: :jawdrop: :squint: :uhno:

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
EVT said:
Stalker Radar Install FAIL (Yes we paid to have this done).

And this is why I think it's a good idea for installers to either have a background in the use of the product they're installing, or ride along and see how it's used. Whoever did the install obviously has no clue how that radar works and that you have to see the screen, or he huffed to much paint as a teen. Jesus H. Christ, I can't believe the crap I see on here sometimes!!!

rettoded

Aug 12, 2011
Berks County,PA
Stumbled across this brush truck build that Stacey Davids was doing on his show Gearz. Around the 3:30 mark, I have a feeling many an installer has made a face like his when coming upon wiring like this:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.