The All New Whelen Legacy...

proled

Sep 8, 2010
Belgium
What with the great bars coming from FS, I am disappointed with this from Whelen. Just 'looks like' another chinese copy of Tomar LOL

I would have thought they could have done something a bit more 'different'

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
If the demand is there for a low profile, very bright, new Whelen product...I'm sure it'll be successful. As previously mentioned, it definitely has different type of reflectors. It's as thin as ION's but the output from that photo sure looks different and more like a linear style.

LED

May 25, 2010
New England, MA
Years ago I posted under "what lights would you like to see"- and I quote "A slim liberty with LIN3/TIR3 modules... Close enough. I win. End of story.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
Station 3 said:
Cmon guys nobody here works at WHELEN? im surprised non of us whackers work there ??? I personally dont really care for whelen and would rather work for maybe Federal or Star signal but still im surprised non of us work there LOL

i know alot and have not heard a word

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Station 3 said:
Cmon guys nobody here works at WHELEN? im surprised non of us whackers work there ??? I personally dont really care for whelen and would rather work for maybe Federal or Star signal but still im surprised non of us work there LOL
I wouldn't be surprised if their developers or other "in the know" workers have to sign an NDA or have some other kind of restriction on posting here, to prevent precisely this kind of thing.

...Yet it's also plausible that this little unposted thing that John dug up was deliberate.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
nerdly_dood said:
I wouldn't be surprised if their developers or other "in the know" workers have to sign an NDA or have some other kind of restriction on posting here, to prevent precisely this kind of thing.

...Yet it's also plausible that this little unposted thing that John dug up was deliberate.

It's a flyer posted a week or so early. I wouldn't read to much into it. People editing their posts and removing pics is a pet peeve of mine. I simply restored the user deleted content. If whelen contacts me and wants it taken down I generally comply with requests like that if they are polite.... so I'll take it down if that's what they want. I simply restored deleted content because post n' pull bugs me.

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
Ok here's my two cents on the pic that was posted. If that is it, I'm nither disapointed nor super impressed. It looks like a Blade or Avatar to me (sorta). Without actually seeing it, or even better, playing with it I won't have a real solid opinion one way or the other. That said, if Whelen wants to donate two to my kennels I would be more than happy to find them a very nice home on some GOVs...

Kevin K.

May 23, 2010
Northampton County, PA, USA
Based on the info shared thus far, it appears that this year's IACP will be quite eventful in terms of new emergency vehicle warning products. Between Whelen and Code 3, there'll be five new lightbars (two from Whelen; three from C3). I don't know if FedSig or anyone else will be unveiling new bars, but I'm sure they'll have new products as well.

Whoever is attending the IACP, please take pics!

Last edited by a moderator:

Keith K.

May 21, 2010
Western States
Kevin K. said:
Based on the info shared thus far, it appears that this year's IACP will be quite eventful in terms of new emergency vehicle warning products. Between Whelen and Code 3, there'll be five new lightbars (two from Whelen; three from C3). I don't know if FedSig or anyone else will be unveiling new bars, but I'm sure they'll have new products as well.

Whoever is attending the IACP, please take pics!

I'll be all over it. Pictures, videos, etc.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
hawkspringsfire said:
I think you are thinking of "outsider"

we have an outsider and an insider.

i thought insider worked for whelen and outsider for tomar or something

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
First SOS remakes the Millenium ( Apex) and now Whelen remakes the Galaxy, LOL.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
SireLite said:

Nothing impressive about that bar.... I hope thats not the real bar if it is Meh.. looks like a knock off of a knock off by some chinese company. I was actually hoping it was going to be some sort of bar that would compete with the Federal Ligtbar that changes colors that vision or what ever it is. But looks like whelen is just gonna make another bland lightbar that your going to see on everything in a few years.

NoVAFed

Dec 28, 2011
Earth, USA, Northern VA
Nope, sorry, everybody is wrong.

Whelen is diversifying into car care products and this is their first release, clearly a car cover. It will probably be UV and acid rain resistant. So their light bar lenses won't yellow and haze.

:haha:

C420sailor

May 23, 2010
Virginia, USA
Am I the only one who thinks this 'smaller and brighter' trend isn't a good one? Lightheads are getting so small and lightbars so thin that they're turning into 'point sources' of high intensity light. What made the Freedom such an effective lightbar wasn't really its brightness (even though it is a bright bar), but its large footprint.

PC Comms

May 30, 2010
Beautiful southern Georgia!
Is it me, or does that look like a CSP quick disconnect plug under the bar on the left side of the video?

spc2315

Mar 27, 2011
Connecticut
PC Comms said:
LMAO!! They're probably sitting there, reading this thread and laughing their asses off right now!

Either that or taking down some notes for the next whelen product lol

philter74

May 27, 2010
Nyack, NY
PC Comms said:
Is it me, or does that look like a CSP quick disconnect plug under the bar on the left side of the video?

If this is a Whelen demo vehicle, that is very possible that it has a quick disconnect installed.

FGS

May 21, 2010
United States, Maryland
Oh, great! Not another paper thin bar. Really original Whelen! :duh: I was seriously hoping that the Legacy pics some members has posted on this thread were fake. Apparently they're officially from Whelen. :hopeless:

Wonder if FedSig would put SLR internals in an Aerodynic creating a new Aerotwinsonic 2.0? Now that's an idea! :undecided:

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
FGS said:
Oh, great! Not another paper thin bar. Really original Whelen! :duh: I was seriously hoping that the Legacy pics some members has posted on this thread were fake. Apparently they're officially from Whelen. :hopeless:

Wonder if FedSig would put SLR internals in an Aerodynic creating a new Aerotwinsonic 2.0? Now that's an idea! :undecided:

slr pods making a sync aerodynic would be cool! have the same cool synchronized rotating patterns with LED amp draw

ncfireman1918

Jun 15, 2010
Mocksville, NC
firedude said:
"Debuting 09.29.12 at IACP 2012 in Booth #5601 in San Diego, CA"
-From the videos description

:)

Which is bizzare, because the exhibit hall doesn't open until 9/30/12. We are all arriving on Saturday to set up. I think the vendor hall officially opens on 9/30 at 10am.

*correction* We have the tradeshow staff on site now setting up, the demo guys and sales people don't arrive until Saturday.

WS224

Nov 28, 2010
West Tennessee
C420sailor said:
Am I the only one who thinks this 'smaller and brighter' trend isn't a good one? Lightheads are getting so small and lightbars so thin that they're turning into 'point sources' of high intensity light. What made the Freedom such an effective lightbar wasn't really its brightness (even though it is a bright bar), but its large footprint.

Exactly what I was thinking. It will be as good as lining up a bunch of TIR3's - which I have seen in a lightbar. Not very impressive. Brightness in this bar will only be maintained if all of the LED's on each side of the bar are configured to flash together which will be boring.

For large apparatus, Freedom's are by far the Whelen product of choice. On police cars, I wouldn't want a profile maller than the Liberty's.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tdi419

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.