The All New Whelen Legacy...

maddog65

Jul 30, 2010
Georgia
poesdad said:
Does anyone know, for sure that the legacy bar is actually mounted (strapped down) in the comparison photo of the liberty?
Just seems to be sooooo much lower profile.

Neither of them are strapped down in the picture. The Legacy makes the Liberty look like a Freedom bar....very low profile!

maddog65

Jul 30, 2010
Georgia
poesdad said:
If it is code 3, I can't imagine it being a defender.

I see the comparison of the liberty, and it looks quite a bit thinner, lower profile. If this bar is brighter than a liberty, with all the mentioned options, I think code 3 may have their hands full.

I've ways wanted to see a different mounting option for the liberty, to bring it down to the roof a bit more. I may just look in to selling three of our current liberty bars, to put money toward two Legacy bars on the new vehicles when we purchase them. I think someone on here already said the legacy should be around $2500, which is a little expensive in my opinion, but we will see.

Anyone find a video of the liberty vs legacy yet?

In the video, it is the Code 3 Defender on the GSP car on the right.

chiefolson

Jul 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Whelen needs to kick it in. I'm going to have two SUVs to outfit here in the next few weeks.

jflan23

Jul 28, 2011
Ct
Still in research and final design. Wallingford police (ct) have a demo on the road for beta testing. So far its blowing the liberty out of the water. Stand by for a new industry standard. On a side note whelen is about to release into production theyre new V series lighthead....off axis lighting with a puddle light and flood light. Amazing little lighthead the size of an M2.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
The Legacy is on Whelen's website now (as well as a single-beacon version of that fake rotator bar) and they're released an update for WeCad so you can play around with it on your computer.

...Looks like it's actually not available in single colors. :haha: Guess if you only want one warning color you're gonna have to use the flood light option then.

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
I just saw the Whelen Legacy on Strobes N More's website. Who in their right mind (im not knocking Strobes N More--love them) is going to pay $4300 for a lightbar. Departments are laying off police officers and cutting budgets, and Whelen is going to produce a lightbar that is so expensive. I am a big Whelen fan, but I dont know what they are trying to prove with this bar. I could get 3 Liberty bars for that price. Now I know it does multiple colors. But still. Look at it this way, a light bar that costs 1/5 of what the car costs. Im not interested. And I cant see many customers buying them either. BUT, I could be wrong, as I was one time before.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
why do we have three threads on this? lol but... i'm sure prices will come down some eventually.

They wanted something to compete with the valor... they got it price wise :) lol.

it is a sharp looking bar though.

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
Guys said no one would buy the Duo bar and we sell them all the time. I am sure this bar will have its market just as I am sure the price will come down once Whelen recoups some of its investment.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Frankly, I don't see a need to pay more than $500 for a lightbar. Maybe $1000 if you need two colors available, need both to provide 360 degree visibility, and can't use both at the same time, but an MX7000 with prudent and use of additional lighting would do fine in that case.

I can see how various features of more expensive lightbars would be appealing, but most of them - low power draw, for example, or various scene lighting options - are more of a want than a need. My own car is getting old, but it's still got a 135-amp alternator, and it's just a boring volume-selling midsize sedan, not a truck, let alone an emergency vehicle. And yes, the jog feature of a Vision is a great thing, but a Unity spotlight is much less expensive, and has the added benefit of vertical adjustment as well as horizontal.

We'd all be paying less taxes if the LP6000 was in wider use.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
nerdly_dood said:
Frankly, I don't see a need to pay more than $500 for a lightbar. Maybe $1000 if you need two colors available, need both to provide 360 degree visibility, and can't use both at the same time, but an MX7000 with prudent and use of additional lighting would do fine in that case.

I can see how various features of more expensive lightbars would be appealing, but most of them - low power draw, for example, or various scene lighting options - are more of a want than a need. My own car is getting old, but it's still got a 135-amp alternator, and it's just a boring volume-selling midsize sedan, not a truck, let alone an emergency vehicle. And yes, the jog feature of a Vision is a great thing, but a Unity spotlight is much less expensive, and has the added benefit of vertical adjustment as well as horizontal.

:hahano: :boxin: :boxin: You sir... just committed a major violation of blinkie lovers. I move for your banishment!

:)

Outsider

May 21, 2010
New Hampshire
nerdly_dood said:
The Legacy is on Whelen's website now (as well as a single-beacon version of that fake rotator bar) and they're released an update for WeCad so you can play around with it on your computer.

...Looks like it's actually not available in single colors. :haha: Guess if you only want one warning color you're gonna have to use the flood light option then.

It is available in single colors. That would give you all the diodes in that one color rather than every other diode that the "floodlight option" would have. So if it looks bright in Duo... it is twice that intensity in single color.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
FEVER said:
:hahano: :boxin: :boxin: You sir... just committed a major violation of blinkie lovers. I move for your banishment!

:)

I may have, but badmouthing the Legacy is worse. :D

The end objective here is to make people realize that LEDs do have their advantages over other warning lights, but they should be used sparingly.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Outsider said:
It is available in single colors. That would give you all the diodes in that one color rather than every other diode that the "floodlight option" would have. So if it looks bright in Duo... it is twice that intensity in single color.

Yeah, I just noticed that playing around in WeCad. Now if only I could get the flash pattern simulator to work in that CenCom programmer...

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
nerdly_dood said:

No, there would just be more LP6Ks in play - every vehicle that has an electrical system that could support 4 halogen rotators would have one (or more - think NYPD set-ups - 1 bar on the front, on on the rear...maybe one on each side, too! :) )

(Yes, the latter part is said in jest.)

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
You'd be surprised by the requests different departments have as well as their budgets. There are lots of great features in this bar. Is it the bar for everyone maybe not but there are those that have already ordered them today as they have been waiting for the output and features.

I have mine on order.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
nerdly_dood said:
Yeah, I just noticed that playing around in WeCad. Now if only I could get the flash pattern simulator to work in that CenCom programmer...

Have you tried using the Sapphire programming software?

Edit: D'oh...never mind!

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Seriously Whelen? $4300? I mean, it's cool and all but Jesus Christ that is outrageously expensive. Departments have had hiring freezes for years and are are laying people off left and right, how does Whelen expect to sell any of them at that price? You could outfit two vehicles with decent setups for the price of that one lightbar :weird:

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
twodogs603 said:
I just saw the Whelen Legacy on Strobes N More's website. Who in their right mind (im not knocking Strobes N More--love them) is going to pay $4300 for a lightbar. Departments are laying off police officers and cutting budgets, and Whelen is going to produce a lightbar that is so expensive. I am a big Whelen fan, but I dont know what they are trying to prove with this bar. I could get 3 Liberty bars for that price. Now I know it does multiple colors. But still. Look at it this way, a light bar that costs 1/5 of what the car costs. Im not interested. And I cant see many customers buying them either. BUT, I could be wrong, as I was one time before.

Um...NYPD has been outfitting vehicles with $5,000 SLR's, plus, if a module breaks, no repairs: They have to trash the whole thing. Admittedly, that does nothing for Whelen, because the NYPD is contracted with Fed Sig...But there are certainly other stupid departments that would waste that kind of money on a bar.

Dec 4, 2011
US NC
EMT-BLS said:
Um...NYPD has been outfitting vehicles with $5,000 SLR's, plus, if a module breaks, no repairs: They have to trash the whole thing. Admittedly, that does nothing for Whelen, because the NYPD is contracted with Fed Sig...But there are certainly other stupid departments that would waste that kind of money on a bar.

That's what I was thinking. All these people fussing about price have apparently never spec'ed out a SLR.

While $4,300 is probably more than most of us will ever afford, there will still be people that pay that for this bar. Eventually the price will come down.

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
EMT-BLS said:

Ha. Well I dont have a whole lot of good things to say about some of the leadership in New York anyway. Particularly the decision makers. And especially that crack head governor. Not bad mouthing the overall good people of New York, just, well you know who Im talking about.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
firefighter7017 said:
That's what I was thinking. All these people fussing about price have apparently never spec'ed out a SLR.

While $4,300 is probably more than most of us will ever afford, there will still be people that pay that for this bar. Eventually the price will come down.

You can get a fully loaded 46" Vision SLR from Lonestar PSE for $3850. That's with all multicolor pods, hot foot mount, alleys, and signal master.

SNOW SYSTEMS

Sep 26, 2010
Illinois
That is insane! So is the price. The majority of those bars sold will be to public agencies and tax payers money. And anybody willing to throw down 4k on a lightbar, hell even 2k, is an idiot. Light wacker freak or not. Could i afford it hell yea, would i like one on the 2013 superduty lariet, sure. Get real

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
EMT-BLS said:
...if a module breaks, no repairs: They have to trash the whole thing.

EMT-BLS, I'm not calling you out, and I apologize if this seems rude, but just how true is this?

There is a video on the Federal Signal website that shows replacing a smart pod on an SLR takes less than a minute and a half.

Why would you have to trash an entire lightbar if one of the module breaks? Unless by module you mean something other than one of the pods. Again, I don't mean to start a pissing match, but for 5000 dollars, you'd think there would be a way to not have to get rid of an entire lightbar.

Strobesnmore

May 23, 2010
Westerly, RI
The Liberty was pricey when it first came out and its gone down. One thing I will note is some customers buy cheap bars, cheap grill lights, cheap dash light whereas you can spend more and get a good quality bar that cost the same overall and is brighter than all those lights put together.

Obviously this bar is way more but one thing I noted during testing is you really want to have good quality lights to go with this bar as its so much brighter. I know it doesn't look it from the video but its amazingly bright which is the reason for the built in photocell. Our cameras better than most and it compensates for the bright light. If I used a regular old video camera you would just see blurs of light which wouldn't do it justice either. Seeing is believing and I am sold. I really love the flood version. For officers its all about safety and that will give them better view of anything in the area. When we show off a Duo Liberty at night we almost always sell it as they are that nice.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Louis, is that $4,300 the official MSRP or just your site's price? I'm guessing it's just the initial MSRP and that the prices will come down a good chunk in 6-12 months after the "awe factor" subsides for some people (just like how the fair "street" prices for lots of whelen lights at SNM and sirennet are approx 40% off MSRP).

poesdad

Feb 19, 2011
Bend Oregon
Well gentlemen, at $4300 each, that definitely rules me out. I don't see any way of justifying that cost for a lightbar to my bosses, or the public for that matter. I remember paying around $1700 for our fully loaded liberty bars.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Strobesnmore said:
The Liberty was pricey when it first came out and its gone down. One thing I will note is some customers buy cheap bars, cheap grill lights, cheap dash light whereas you can spend more and get a good quality bar that cost the same overall and is brighter than all those lights put together.

Obviously this bar is way more but one thing I noted during testing is you really want to have good quality lights to go with this bar as its so much brighter. I know it doesn't look it from the video but its amazingly bright which is the reason for the built in photocell. Our cameras better than most and it compensates for the bright light. If I used a regular old video camera you would just see blurs of light which wouldn't do it justice either. Seeing is believing and I am sold. I really love the flood version. For officers its all about safety and that will give them better view of anything in the area. When we show off a Duo Liberty at night we almost always sell it as they are that nice.

An effective light setup for a patrol car does not only consist of a Lightbar. It doesn't matter how bright or feature packed it is. I would rather get a cheaper light bar with more if what I need around my vehicle

hoj1192

Nov 8, 2011
NYC,NY
dg0223 said:
EMT-BLS, I'm not calling you out, and I apologize if this seems rude, but just how true is this?

There is a video on the Federal Signal website that shows replacing a smart pod on an SLR takes less than a minute and a half.

Thats just the way the NYPD is, if it doesnt work or partially works why fix it when you can buy a new one

May 22, 2010
New York City
come on, the nypd doesnt throw bars out anymore......... you can take it to fleet services or that fed sig repair place in queens on metropolitan and they will fix or replace it...........

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.