The Worst Response Video Thread

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
dwk270 said:
Unfortunately this is how most agencies drive now days. No life is worth driving that fast. Just because someone has lights and sirens, doesn't give them the right to do 25 over the speed limit. 10 over is plenty.

Ha! If your not going 10 over in the left lane (or equivlent speed lane) you'll get your bumper ridden until you move. Especially by the cops.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
dwk270 said:
Unfortunately this is how most agencies drive now days. No life is worth driving that fast. Just because someone has lights and sirens, doesn't give them the right to do 25 over the speed limit. 10 over is plenty.

If my house is being broken into they better be going faster than 10 over. If the type of call warrants it, and the traffic conditions allow it, I see no problem with LE going as fast as they deem necessary. However, in that video, that was completely unsafe with that amount of traffic.

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
dwk270 said:

Um...I drive 10 over just driving normally. Remember, speed limits are for the lowest common denominator, ie Granny who can't see 5 feet in front of her car and takes two days to switch from brake to gas and back....

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
dwk270 said:

Like Rofo I drive 10 over normally. I can safely say that there are situations in which road conditions, time of day and traffic allow 15, 20, 25 MPH over the speed limit to run hot. Texas has no cap on how fast we can go just have to use due regard which I always do but also drive fast enough to make a difference otherwise the blinkies and woos are worthless.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
SomeBloke said:
Lets play a game of...Spot the French Police car! (Sorry TheGatekeeper)

I don't have the slightest idea what you are talking about. :woot:

:laugh:

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
Klein said:
Like Rofo I drive 10 over normally. I can safely say that there are situations in which road conditions, time of day and traffic allow 15, 20, 25 MPH over the speed limit to run hot. Texas has no cap on how fast we can go just have to use due regard which I always do but also drive fast enough to make a difference otherwise the blinkies and woos are worthless.

Forgot to add:

Do 15 over on the highways, and PSP won't even give you a second glance, as long as you're not driving like a douche...

Frooom

Dec 6, 2012
NH
I used to make fun of those French sirens (European hi/lo, whatever you want to call it) until I realized something: it's incredibly effective because of how god-awful annoying it is. It makes you want to stop so it can drive away.

:bonk:

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
I do not recognize that command. Please try again.

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
Frooom said:
I used to make fun of those French sirens (European hi/lo, whatever you want to call it) until I realized something: it's incredibly effective because of how god-awful annoying it is. It makes you want to stop so it can drive away.

Oct 1, 2012
Bamberg, Germany
Frooom said:

Took me over 5 years to get used to the Polizei sirens...

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
strobecrazy said:
Jeep comes close to the video takers vehicle.

Never mind that... It looks as if everybody and his dog is responding to what is being described as a minor RTA... :weird:

Quickstep80

May 30, 2012
Europe
Common trend in Austria's capital (Vienna): "silent response". Just don't annoy residents. :weird: And that's what happens.

Needless to say, most of Austria's police cars are just equipped with a VAMA P8000 strobe bar, so running code without using the siren is a kamikaze mission on its own.

Reactions: NCFF/P

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
In this video, I'll concede the police driver is pushing his luck running a red light to cross a four lane, two-way street without making sure the first row of cars is standing still.. Oh well... :no:

Yet I wouldn't jump to conclusions... There could be a rationale to running silent.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Rofocowboy84 said:
Forgot to add:

Do 15 over on the highways, and PSP won't even give you a second glance, as long as you're not driving like a douche...

Totally depends, if you've got out of state plates and are in a tourist/vacation area (I-84 outside of Scranton) they'll pick you up for 2 over...

Quickstep80 said:
Common trend in Austria's capital (Vienna): "silent response". Just don't annoy residents. :weird: And that's what happens.

Needless to say, most of Austria's police cars are just equipped with a VAMA P8000 strobe bar, so running code without using the siren is a kamikaze mission on its own.

Totally thought he was gonna get creamed, that's insane!

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Eric1249 said:
I think the Jeep was drafting? Running hot and following that close is a terrible idea
Not disagreeing, however the car with the camera, as I said before, is being far more dangerous by passing other motorists.

Quickstep80

May 30, 2012
Europe
Germany: Doctor's response car accident due to aquaplaning...

Quickstep80

May 30, 2012
Europe
unlisted said:
.... Amber.. Really?
Yes, in Spain. Some ambulances run amber/red or amber/blue though.

The reason for that is a historic one.

Originally, blue lights were defined by law to be used on police vehicles only. Therefore, fire brigade and ambulance ran amber for a very long time. By the end of 2007 (iirc) that law finally got adapted, so blue lights are permitted for other emergency services now too. This obviously had something to do with alignments to EU directives.

Nevertheless, some emergency services/fire brigades have been using blue lights for a couple of years anyway, as autonomous region hold some more discretionary competence (like the Canary Islands or the Basque region). However others decided to stick to the common standards defined by the central governmend in Madrid (amber only).

Even on new ambulances very often amber lights are still in use - for traditional reasons.

And there are a lot of different sirens as well: Wail, Yelp, Hi-Lo, 2- and 3-tone-sounds,...

Last edited by a moderator:

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
theroofable said:
Not disagreeing, however the car with the camera, as I said before, is being far more dangerous by passing other motorists.
I think the term we're looking for is "rolling tag-along cluster-fuss."

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Re: AUSHWP's second video.

I like that method of getting people to move out of your way. I think I'll try that next time I'm driving the tanker.

FIRE

May 14, 2012
Ky
acala91 said:

I was wondering what the white flash was in the video when they entered the intersection, I read the comments and someone said it was a red light camera, interesting.

Dec 4, 2011
US NC
acala91 said:
Sides and rear, yes but I hate the front. The main warning lights have far too much off time.

I even like the front. Flashing the whole bar makes a massive footprint, and you the grill lights are on during it's off time so you still have forward facing warning. It's very effective IMO.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Strobe Craft said:
Another intersection.

Ouch.

Every corporation has its share of idiots I suppose...

Now most times its takes 2 idiots to create an accident.... As in this exemple....

As much as the cop was totally reckless, the other car cut the cruiser off as if it weren't there. That doesn't spell "extreme surroundings awareness" to me either.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
firefighter7017 said:
I even like the front. Flashing the whole bar makes a massive footprint, and you the grill lights are on during it's off time so you still have forward facing warning. It's very effective IMO.

I agree that it is effective, but not appropriate for the extremely busy urban area these trucks operate in. I would be okay with that pattern on a park kill, but when in motion it needs something with less off time.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.