The Worst Response Video Thread

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
fireman1 said:
Nothing out of the norm here...just your typical Pennsylvania driver... :rolleyes:

Did she actually speed up in front of the ambulance?!?! I would have been shouting "Pull your POS off the road!" out the window at the idiot when passing her. That or say through the PA "We got your plates, so enjoy your fat ticket in the mail."

fireman1

Nov 3, 2011
PA
CrownVic97 said:
Did she actually speed up in front of the ambulance?!?! I would have been shouting "Pull your POS off the road!" out the window at the idiot when passing her. That or say through the PA "We got your plates, so enjoy your fat ticket in the mail."

Yep, I've gotten on the pa before and told them their license will be turned into state police! Guess how fast they pull over then! lol

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
CrownVic97 said:
I would have been shouting "Pull your POS off the road!" out the window at the idiot when passing her. That or say through the PA "We got your plates, so enjoy your fat ticket in the mail."

Guilty. "Don't worry, it's just an ambulance"

NJEMT

May 22, 2010
Essex County, NJ
"Accidentally" grabbed the PA mic thinking it was the radio mic to dispatch and told them to print and hold the plate for a ticket.

Eric223

Sep 23, 2011
USA NY/NJ/VA
Kd8bao said:
Man. Seemed to me that he broke just about every speed limit and blew at least 2 different red lights without a stop. It looked like he was doing about 50-60 through the residential area.

That is the fly car from the Vigilant Fire Company, Great Neck NY. I believe they were responding to a CO call.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
A CO call?

What's that ? "Commanding Officer" call ? What around here we designate as "meetings" ? :bonk:

NERT11

Jul 3, 2012
Ontario, Canada
firefighter7017 said:
I even like the front. Flashing the whole bar makes a massive footprint, and you the grill lights are on during it's off time so you still have forward facing warning. It's very effective IMO.

I'd have to agree 100%. Our busses here do something similar. The whole ambulance flashes all white then all red. Some do a 4 flash strobe back and forth, and other have a triple flash (I think they call it comet flash where it delays after the third flash?) Either way, I think ambulances have the most effective warning

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
fireman1 said:
Nothing out of the norm here...just your typical Pennsylvania driver... :rolleyes:

I was just thinking the same exact thing, lol....in fact, that driver wasn't the worst, at least she didn't finally realize what was behind her and then slam on the brakes....

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Alboy29 said:
Based on the Audio in the End it does in fact Sound like it was a Job involving a young child. While i can agree and understand the Rush 100% i see Way to many near misses, and Close Calls for the safety of these EMT's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdUrD8YdoGU

All that.. for a child in seizure at a school? maybe if it was a child hit by a car and critical.. or something else which is VERY serious..

Armchair quarterbacking.. Should of also used the siren more constant if they are driving like that.. and they seem to like blowing red lights.. check out the other videos.

Quickstep80

May 30, 2012
Europe
AFAIR there is a policy at London's Air Ambulance (UK) - they are also operating fly cars - that the driver (paramedic) will not be informed about the nature of the job they're responding to. They'll get information about the location and that's pretty much it. The emergency doctor may know about some incident details dispatched by the control room, but is responsible for assisting the driver navigating.

That policy should ensure that fly car drivers strictly focus on their driving, not on the (medical) job before even being on scene.

I know that it's hard to blank out the nature of an ambulance job while responding to the scene, and when it involves a child there is some adrenaline rush and a lot of things crossing the mind. So whenever possible, I think drivers shouldn't be informed about incident details while responding. Their number one priority has to be to get the team safely and quickly to the scene, avoiding all unnecessary risks (for the crew and other road traffic users).

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
The very first EMS agency I worked for was a small town volunteer Ambulance service. They would get tones and only get "XYZ Town to XYZ Ambulance, you have a call" which helped people drive more normally and prevent people from being selective about what calls they took. I think it worked pretty well.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Reminds me of the Liver Run in London in 1991... The Rovers had just come on duty as ARVs if I recall well...

lotsofbars

Jul 20, 2010
NYC, New York
unlisted said:
All that.. for a child in seizure at a school? maybe if it was a child hit by a car and critical.. or something else which is VERY serious..

Armchair quarterbacking.. Should of also used the siren more constant if they are driving like that.. and they seem to like blowing red lights.. check out the other videos.

That's pretty much typical NYC . . . driving 50+ with occasional manual siren usage. Drivers and pedestrians kind of expect it. Doesn't make it any less dangerous but I guess it gets the job done.

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
lotsofbars said:
That's pretty much typical NYC . . . driving 50+ with occasional manual siren usage. Drivers and pedestrians kind of expect it. Doesn't make it any less dangerous but I guess it gets the job done.
Agree, but also disagree. I can honestly say i tend/Expect to hear an Ambulance, or Bus use its siren more often and have a constant on vs. PD Units who respond.

In most cases i can remember ambulances having Wail always on, or at least using them much more than a simple WOOP WOOP. especially with those 200W its nice to hear it coming from a distance. But it does get the job done, barely sometimes...

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
MtnMan said:
That's what I call placing way too much trust in the reactions of other drivers. No amount of airhorn guarantees the right of way.

A little bit of defensive driving would have added what, 30 seconds to the response?

Yup, Plus a typical response is after 5 Seconds of an Emergency Vehicle behind you "OH SHIT LIGHTS AND SIREN :eek: ...SLAMS ON BRAKES..."

Im sure we have all seen it dozens of times

timlinson

Apr 11, 2011
North Dakota
Does he pull up behind an FDNY engine? I noticed he had a video from Hurricane Sandy. If this is NYC it explains a lot!

bunnyfurr

Aug 29, 2010
WA
Alboy29 said:
Based on the Audio in the End it does in fact Sound like it was a Job involving a young child. While i can agree and understand the Rush 100% i see Way to many near misses, and Close Calls for the safety of these EMT's.

Fired big time, is what I would do with the driver. No excuses, It does not do any good for the child or whomever if your ambulance crew does not make it there safely. Stupid moves

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
No, THIS is worse ! :yes:

Actually, this is pretty much the norm. In France we like the understatement when it comes to emergency vehicles ! :weird:

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
TheGatekeeper said:
No, THIS is worse ! :yes:
Actually, this is pretty much the norm. In France we like the understatement when it comes to emergency vehicles ! :weird:
One 55W bulb and a Wolo siren. :D

Then again, they do get SigPros. :thumbsup:

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
yeah..

And they are terrific drivers (before lunch mostly).

Full LED gear is for sissies... Just sayin' :crackup:

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Did it seems to you, on BOTH of the ambulance videos, they left the station before they knew how they were going to get to the scene? Blowing red lights & stop signs. And I love the mad dash the pedestrian had to make to get out of their way (vid 1). :hopeless:

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Alboy29 said:

Holy crap, you win this thread. If I were the driver's partner we would be having just a little conversation after we cleared that call to say the least.

vc859

Oct 31, 2010
USA/ New York
For the NYC Videos the only thing I have to say is that sometimes even the non-emergency driving is that bad ! Ever been in an NYC Taxi, it's like both of those videos, only without the lights and siren, but complete with the curb jumping, near miss driving and wrong side of the road.

Also, I have mixed feelings about not knowing what the call is before hand; yes it stops people from picking and choosing calls, but it is also nice to get mentally prepared for what we expect to find on scene

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
acala91 said:
Holy crap, you win this thread. If I were the driver's partner we would be having just a little conversation after we cleared that call to say the least.
Hahaha!

I think that partner is in on it...Right before that First (of many) Blown reds, you hear him yell AHH just Go!

I just hope these guys get a grip before they hurt themselves or anyone else. Your no good if you dont get there.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Not knowing the nature of the call before getting on scene is freaking stupid. If it's a kid not breathing I need to know because hell yes, my response is going to be faster than the one to back paid from a fall three days ago. Knowing the nature before hand lets the crew discuss what treatments might be needed, what equipment to bring in, ect...

Quickstep80

May 30, 2012
Europe
acala91 said:
If it's a kid not breathing I need to know because hell yes, my response is going to be faster than the one to back paid from a fall three days ago.

I assume for that back pain you won't be responding with lights and siren anyway...

As for the nature of the job - well, concerning my example of the London Air Ambulance that's always (major) trauma. They won't respond to any medical call, it's an advanced trauma team.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michaeI

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.