The Worst Response Video Thread

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Quickstep80 said:
I assume for that back pain you won't be responding with lights and siren anyway...

As for the nature of the job - well, concerning my example of the London Air Ambulance that's always (major) trauma. They won't respond to any medical call, it's an advanced trauma team.

Local protocol is to respond lights and sirens to every medical call. Sometimes the FD will arrive on scene first and downgrade the rescue (what we call an ambulance down here) to nonemergency if it's a BS call, but aside from that everything is an emergency response.

embe78

May 20, 2010
NEW JERSEY
Quickstep80 said:
I assume for that back pain you won't be responding with lights and siren anyway...

As for the nature of the job - well, concerning my example of the London Air Ambulance that's always (major) trauma. They won't respond to any medical call, it's an advanced trauma team.

Interesting that you bring that up because we just had a call go out for some one that fell 1 day prior and thinks they have a concussion.1st responder arrives on scene and determines that it is a drug over dose. our protocol is to respond l/s until we are specifically downgraded.

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
embe78 said:
Interesting that you bring that up because we just had a call go out for some one that fell 1 day prior and thinks they have a concussion.1st responder arrives on scene and determines that it is a drug over dose. our protocol is to respond l/s until we are specifically downgraded.

That's more or less how we operate also. Remember, ambulances are for "medical emergencies" and we respond as such. How we proceed to the hospital is determined by what we find on-scene.

NYBLS

Oct 13, 2010
NY,USA
We use a priority system based on EMD. I would say maybe 50% of calls get a l/s response to the scene and maybe 5% get taken in l/s to the hospital.

Quickstep80

May 30, 2012
Europe
Just a quick outline about our system... We also use a priority system (AMPDS = advanced medical priority dispatch system).

Medical events are categorized accordingly:

* Urgent Patient Transport (Alpha-Code): immediate response by BLS ambulance, no l/s. No life-threatening condition to be expected.

* Emergency (Bravo-Code): response by emergency ambulance (l/s), but no doctor. Patient's condition may be serious, however not immediately life-threatening.

* Critical Emergency (Charlie-Code): doctor's response (l/s) required - either physician-staffed ALS ambulance or regular ambulance plus doctor fly car.

* Life-Threatening Situation (Delta-/Echo-Codes): doctor's response required (see above), helicopter may be dispatched.

So that "third day of back pain" won't lead to a beta-code at all, I guess - and therefor the ambulance won't respond with lights and siren.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Quickstep80 said:
Just a quick outline about our system... We also use a priority system (AMPDS = advanced medical priority dispatch system).

And "where" is your system ?

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Re: "Ok I'll bite, whats wrong with that response? "

It was a street sweeper. :dielaugh:

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
I may have posted this on the site a while ago, but I may as well post it again. I took this video while riding Ofc. seat in my school company's Rescue. There are certain people that I never liked riding with, because I didn't feel they drove safely. While the driving itself in this video wasn't as bad as it's been, it's a perfect example of tunnel vision. This particular member always gets like this, completely forgetting that he's just laying on the Q and horns. All I was controlling was the Code 3 electronic, changing it up in hopes it would cancel out the ineffectiveness of the constant tone from the other two. At about 7:50, you can hear the guy in the back yell something sarcastic to me about the Q, as he thought I was the one controlling it. Unfortunately, nothing ever happened when we brought up the driving habits of some of the younger members, because they were all the ones who'd been there since they were babies because their grandfathers and fathers were members...

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Rofocowboy84 said:
I may have posted this on the site a while ago, but I may as well post it again. I took this video while riding Ofc. seat in my school company's Rescue. There are certain people that I never liked riding with, because I didn't feel they drove safely. While the driving itself in this video wasn't as bad as it's been, it's a perfect example of tunnel vision. This particular member always gets like this, completely forgetting that he's just laying on the Q and horns. All I was controlling was the Code 3 electronic, changing it up in hopes it would cancel out the ineffectiveness of the constant tone from the other two. At about 7:50, you can hear the guy in the back yell something sarcastic to me about the Q, as he thought I was the one controlling it. Unfortunately, nothing ever happened when we brought up the driving habits of some of the younger members, because they were all the ones who'd been there since they were babies because their grandfathers and fathers were members...

I'm sorry I cannot watch that whole thing.. WTF is wrong with him? I mean.. 99% of the peak and hold (both Q and air horn) is NOT required.. Does he expect the GRASS to yield to him or something?!?

The ONLY place I thought it was half necessary was when he was coming into the construction zone before the right turn.. Mind you less peak would of been just as effective..

Move the Q and air horn control away from the driver. Jeeze.

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
unlisted said:
I'm sorry I cannot watch that whole thing.. WTF is wrong with him? I mean.. 99% of the peak and hold (both Q and air horn) is NOT required.. Does he expect the GRASS to yield to him or something?!?

The ONLY place I thought it was half necessary was when he was coming into the construction zone before the right turn.. Mind you less peak would of been just as effective..

Move the Q and air horn control away from the driver. Jeeze.

I was thinking the same thing, but he's the type that you can't correct. Also, I agree to a point about moving the controls from the driver, when I'm driving, I'd rather be in control of them. I'm of the opinion that most people are stupid, and when it comes to things like that, I'd rather not give them control. It's like the paperwork at my job, I'd rather not do it, but I don't trust my coworkers to do it right....

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Rofocowboy84 said:
I was thinking the same thing, but he's the type that you can't correct. Also, I agree to a point about moving the controls from the driver, when I'm driving, I'd rather be in control of them. I'm of the opinion that most people are stupid, and when it comes to things like that, I'd rather not give them control. It's like the paperwork at my job, I'd rather not do it, but I don't trust my coworkers to do it right....

get your wife/cousin/babysitter to complain to the town/city about the EXCESSIVE noise when the fire trucks come through, ideally get them to record the peak and hold (with airhorn) when clearly not required.. ie: down a empty residential street..

.. or drop the dime on him to a local news company..

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
First of all, 1,000th post!

Secondly, it's not really worth it any more. I haven't been active with that company for a few years. For the most part he was fine about not using it when there's not much traffic, or at night, but sometimes a couple of the guys would get like this....

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
Up until about 1:30 or so, I was thinking "eh, this isn't THAT bad..." And then it just kept going on and on and on. Good grief that hurts to listen to on youtube let alone riding in that apparatus.

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
RescueWV said:
Up until about 1:30 or so, I was thinking "eh, this isn't THAT bad..." And then it just kept going on and on and on. Good grief that hurts to listen to on youtube let alone riding in that apparatus.

Yup, it was even more annoying being there, lol...

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Rofocowboy84 said:

I couldn't watch the entire thing either. That was terrible. Were your ears bleeding? Someone needs to say something to that guy. And I thought my Chief was bad

Tlauden

Apr 3, 2011
Halifax, PA
At 0:43 it looked like they forced that silver vehicle to go up on the median.... And the very begining of the video it looked like they were going way to fast (in the opposing lane) for the weather conditions..

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Rofocowboy84 said:

At 0:41 you can hear someone say "you hit another one." This is an absolutely reckless response especially for being a second due engine for a car fire of all things.

Firetrux

Mar 1, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
I wish we'd just put the cameras away and concentrate on safety.

I'd love to have heard the officer sound off on his concerns while the truck is in motion. In the least there should have been some communications regarding intersection clearance.

We recently took out Q control from the driver and I don't think we ever reached the point observed in that video!

justavillain

Mar 7, 2013
Grand Rapids
Coming from the Marine Corps infantry after action critique is major so I like videos for that simple reason.

As for air horn jonny he's a fool and needs to go back through a beginners emergency driving course.

The q is drowning out everything else for the other motorist. He's not letting off it so it's actually not doing any good. I think he just can't handle doing 2 things with his feet (unless you use switches on the dash) as for the air horn he doesn't need it really at all there wasn't but 1 intersection that he should have cleared (and didnt) in the time I watched it (made it all of 45 seconds in because I was sure the q was about to make my dog cry).

Simple few taps of the q is all that was needed and maintaining the fast lane. He was all over the road and at one point was driving centered on the lane line.

He should be suspended from driving or have remedial time with an officer to correct his issues.

I love the q and air horns they work well for intersections a few quick taps of the switch and a blast and move through. He will get someone hurt if he doesn't learn proper driving. Blasting through intersections rural or city will catch up with you.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Being second due at a vehicle fire and driving like an idiot is not worth it. It is just a vehicle. I couldn't believe the way he split the oncoming traffic. I can imagine the things those drivers in those oncoming vehiles told other people.......

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
In many instances, there is a direct correlation to the amount of time the Q is wound out and how fast/stupid/retardedly the apparatus is driven.

NC lawdog

Sep 12, 2010
North Carolina
FDNY manges to respond through one of the most populated cities in the US with a couple of blips from an electric siren and a blast or two from the air horn. It almost seems like these crackerjacks are pushing the accelerator and the Q at the same time and at the same pressure.

MJDNRP-6885

Jul 25, 2010
Germantown Hills, IL
NC lawdog said:
FDNY manges to respond through one of the most populated cities in the US with a couple of blips from an electric siren and a blast or two from the air horn. It almost seems like these crackerjacks are pushing the accelerator and the Q at the same time and at the same pressure.

Kind of makes you wonder if the Q foot switch is mounted directly under the accelerator pedal. :weird: :duh: :popcorn:

PJH

May 23, 2010
CO Springs&West PointNY
Ok, I'll bite re: the PA video

Didn't watch the whole thing...however I'd say that posting the video and commenting that your job was to change the electronic siren tones and capturing the video - I'd be concerned that that was your concern sitting in the officers seat.

The Q siren is well....pretty damn loud and is attention getting more than solid bumped mounted electric sirens with their directional sound pattern.

For the most part all we use is the Q with the air horns. The officer side has foot pedals for both and the driver has controls on the if needed on his side. We want the driver paying attention to the road and not the radio, MDT, maps or the siren. As the officer - should be concentrating on the route, over the air size up, ability of the driver, communication with the driver and crew.

Unofficially if we use both, the Q is going and leave the siren on yelp. Problem solved.

At night the electronic siren with the use of the foot pedal on manual thru neighborhoods is a good thing.

Daytime on a main road (as pictured) with a screaming Q isn't all that bad.

Coming on here from sitting on the officers seat, I hope that you had a conversation with the driver and/or a member of the command staff if the actions were really all that bad.

NYBLS

Oct 13, 2010
NY,USA
acala91 said:

Driver needs to keep both hands on the wheel, turn around so his eyes are looking forward, and shut up. I highly doubt homeboy in the back is seat belted and he should be considering the red lights they are blowing through. We have two pedals on the officers side of our truck, one for the Q one for the air horn. The driver has an air horn pedal on his side, but it is rarely used. They should be concentrating on the road and getting the crew there safely, not playing with the siren. Want to play with the siren? Sit in the officers seat.

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
PJH said:
Ok, I'll bite re: the PA video

Didn't watch the whole thing...however I'd say that posting the video and commenting that your job was to change the electronic siren tones and capturing the video - I'd be concerned that that was your concern sitting in the officers seat.

The Q siren is well....pretty damn loud and is attention getting more than solid bumped mounted electric sirens with their directional sound pattern.

For the most part all we use is the Q with the air horns. The officer side has foot pedals for both and the driver has controls on the if needed on his side. We want the driver paying attention to the road and not the radio, MDT, maps or the siren. As the officer - should be concentrating on the route, over the air size up, ability of the driver, communication with the driver and crew.

Unofficially if we use both, the Q is going and leave the siren on yelp. Problem solved.

At night the electronic siren with the use of the foot pedal on manual thru neighborhoods is a good thing.

Daytime on a main road (as pictured) with a screaming Q isn't all that bad.

Coming on here from sitting on the officers seat, I hope that you had a conversation with the driver and/or a member of the command staff if the actions were really all that bad.

Well, let's see...going out of our first due to an incident that was already established, we already knew what our job was (hydrant), driver knew the route, and there really wasn't anything to say to the crew. Also, you're dead wrong if you think there was nothing wrong with that Q usage. I agree during the day you can make as much noise as you want, but a Q isn't effective unless it's winding up and down, nor are the horns effective unless you contrast the loud noise with silence...

Also, I never said my job was "capturing the video". I took video when I had the chance, and a call like this, I could. Granted, if we were first due on a well off dwelling with entrapment, the last thing on my mind would be taking video...

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
acala91 said:

Homeboy drivin wasn't even belted in. FAIL! I am going to bet no one in that engine was belted in. Even if we run across the street from our station I put it on. Its protocol for our department and in any township owned vehicle all that everyone must be belted in. Just wear them guys!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.