The Worst Response Video Thread

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
acala91 said:
At the end of the day, I could care less about the apparatus. What I am worried about is the 3-4 lives that were put in serious unnecessary danger by driving into those conditions. Water moving that fast that is that deep could have easily swept the truck away or a someone else mentioned, there could be some other hazard that was hidden by the water. I completely understand why they did it, but what do they drill in everyone's heads in fire and EMT/medic school? Scene safety, scene safety, scene safety.

I respectfully disagree in this circumstance. They knew what they were doing. And I do agree with your statement about safety. They were responding to a call and were not putting people in unnecessary danger, but rather, they were doing what all you medics, fire eaters, and Law Enforcement folks do best. Putting your life on the line to help save another. Even if it looks dangerous or too risky.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
strobecrazy said:
Not really a response, but interesting tactics. Thought it was GSP at first but it says Sheriff on the trunk, looks to be on GA-400.

I have seen many people doing that before. When i was a fireman my fire chief did that on his F-250 and put out the head of the grass fire that way. I have also done that on my patrol car and put out a grass fire also before the fire department arrived.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Station 3 said:
Amish people are weird

They are? That is not a very nice thing to say about people who do their best to live their religion and stand up for what they believe in. They are more American and more God fearing then most other religions out there, but oh I forgot we live in a society now that doesn't need religion.

strobecrazy

Apr 27, 2011
GA,ATL
RyanZ71 said:
They are? That is not a very nice thing to say about people who do their best to live their religion and stand up for what they believe in. They are more American and more God fearing then most other religions out there, but oh I forgot we live in a society now that doesn't need religion.

I think it was sarcasm, not hating on them.

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
There was a compilation video on youtube about 8 minutes long loaded with short clips of police cars crashing during pursuits. I had never seen most of them, and I can't find the video anymore, if anyone has a link to it that would be great to put in here.

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY

0:32 - enters intersection too quickly
1:06 - sweet death (although deserved, he never would have been able to stop)
1:32 - he could have stayed in the left lane instead of crossing over
And at the end he doesn't know where he's going, then hits a driveway apron too hard at 2:44

I also think he needed more Q since he was driving like a madman through traffic.

If I drove like that in my dept, especially to what sounded like an automatic alarm, it would have been the last time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
why idnt he just follow the other firetruck at 2:30.... :D

Reactions: Mrlunchbox

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Sometimes you get lucky.

There is this particular intersection I hate. It's a 30 MPH road controlled by a stop sign that T's into a 70 MPH highway. We'll pull up to that highway; lights, siren, little boy with a red lantern, and signal flares, and yet the cross traffic just breezes along merrily. We just have to be patient.

Reactions: Mrlunchbox

CovertRam

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario Canada
That kind of pursuit would never be allowed here in Ontario. Going through a construction zone like that would result in severe discipline.

Personally, I feel a stolen car isn't worth those risks the officer took.

On the other hand, I admire the officer's skill behind the wheel but I really think there was a lot of luck involved.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
FF/EMT-B HADEN said:
I like the Part where they nearly run over the guy on a bike, blow every red light, and almost hit 20 cars. But wait, that's the whole video... :crazy:

While driving, it's very important to keep one hand on the siren at all times... at least until you start using your phone. :duh:

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
FF/EMT-B HADEN said:
I like the Part where they nearly run over the guy on a bike, blow every red light, and almost hit 20 cars. But wait, that's the whole video... :crazy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7reVqBHU8d0
I really don't see anything wrong with that video, mostly because that's a typical response in NYC. Granted I do not like the point towards the end when the driver is on his cellphone. WELCOME TO NEW YORK CITY, GET USED TO IT.

silverunicorn

Jun 25, 2010
USA / PA
FF/EMT-B HADEN said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7reVqBHU8d0

Why is the driver running the siren? That should be the work of the officer. Especially in a city environment, you need to be fully aware of everything. I didn't see that much wrong with the driving, although he did seem to not clear the intersections before proceeding through the red lights.

The biker was lucky he didn't get waffled. That is a hazard of headphones.

Chris

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Yea...... That's not typical NYC response...

Last edited by a moderator:

vc859

Oct 31, 2010
USA/ New York
That's an ambulette, not an ambulance.

From my time dispatching for a private EMS service, I have some stories about ambulette drivers and ambulette coordinators "dispatchers"

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
silverunicorn said:
Why is the driver running the siren? That should be the work of the officer.

Why? The driver is the one who is more observant of traffic and is the only one who knows what he is going to do. If the driver is passing a car and wants to switch tones or hit the air horn in an attempt to make sure he is seen, he needs to be able to do it ASAP, not tell his passenger to do it for him. The rider needs to be working the radio and looking up the route and alternates. I could see it being a little different on an engine that has two types of sirens and an air horn with a foot pedal for the driver, but in an ambulance or squad car, the driver should be controlling it.

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
RL1 said:
Why? The driver is the one who is more observant of traffic and is the only one who knows what he is going to do. If the driver is passing a car and wants to switch tones or hit the air horn in an attempt to make sure he is seen, he needs to be able to do it ASAP, not tell his passenger to do it for him. The rider needs to be working the radio and looking up the route and alternates. I could see it being a little different on an engine that has two types of sirens and an air horn with a foot pedal for the driver, but in an ambulance or squad car, the driver should be controlling it.

+1

I know how I drive and how the siren should match up to that, I can't depend on the random partner in the other seat knowing it. Plus, many of us on this site are whackers (the good kind), and therefore spend more time learning how a siren is most effectively used. Many in emergency services don't, and will frequently use sirens in horribly ineffective ways...

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
When I'm driving the ambulance, GET YOUR HANDS OFF MY SIREN! When I'm driving my Rescue truck, I'll use the HF for the siren, you deal with the Q, air horns, radio, maps, ect...

silverunicorn

Jun 25, 2010
USA / PA
RL1 said:

Fair enough!

Chris

Travelin Man

Jul 9, 2010
Central Virginia
silverunicorn said:
Why is the driver running the siren? That should be the work of the officer. Especially in a city environment, you need to be fully aware of everything.

I've often wondered about people who swear that the siren should be the responsiblity of the officer. That's great, but what about when you're responding Code 3 to the hospital and you don't have an officer up front to do that for you? Running the siren really isn't that much of a distration for the driver.

As someone who rides the officer seat both at work and the volunteer house 95% of the time, I'm 100% okay with the driver using the noise maker. One less thing I have to fiddle with as I read the CAD comments, find the best way to the address, give pre-arrival assignments, and the like.

ETA: I should have read RL1's comments before I posted mine!

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Horn pad is your friend. :thumbsup:

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Rofocowboy84 said:
+1

I know how I drive and how the siren should match up to that, I can't depend on the random partner in the other seat knowing it. Plus, many of us on this site are whackers (the good kind), and therefore spend more time learning how a siren is most effectively used. Many in emergency services don't, and will frequently use sirens in horribly ineffective ways...

Completely agree. Most people have no clue how to effectively operate a siren.

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
acala91 said:

I only have two complaints about Carson sirens. 1. The airhorn. 2. How the Wail restarts every time you hit the airhorn. Initially I hated how low they started when first ramping up, but then I kinda started to like it, however, when it does it every time you hit the horn, it's annoying. What I don't get is, you can switch between Wail and Yelp, and it will go back to where it was when you switched to Yelp, so why can't it do that with the horn?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHarrold000

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.