Vintage Frankenstein-ed lights, beacons and light bars.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Yes, Skip, I would not be at all surprised to find a prototype of just about anything imaginable.  Remember the Federal 185 that showed up?  A prototype model 184 Power Light with 5 PAR-36 bulbs.  That would have made for a wild light show, but I expect marketing found little demand for such a thing, especially considering that this was a late 1980's development and at that time the market was embracing strobes for the benefits of lower maintenance and less amp draw.  Who knows what the engineers at Federal, Whelen, Dietz, Signal-Stat, etc, came up with, but never entered production.
Well, with Federal it was not just supply and demand...but mostly demand.  In their earlier days they would build almost anything someone asked for: hence the 175s, the 174s, etc.  Back then everything was actually a variation off the original 17.  If they got enough orders for any of these variations, then they were assigned a model number and went into regular production.  Just like the ones you mentioned above. There's no telling how many specialty beacons or other lights or sirens they came up with for someone.   Just like Sireno.  They pretty-well copied everything that Federal built, but did so a bit cheaper. And in a few instances, better.  But they did a considerable number of special-builds for people that never appeared in any of their catalogs.  They actually built a dualtone siren (couldn't used the name doubletone because Federal had that patented); but they were built as special order only.  I had the underhood model, the J8A (no brake) and it was nice.  Ended up lending it to the sheriff's office in Odessa years ago and have never seen it since.

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
From the Pimp's archives:

frankenbeacon.JPG

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
A One Baader Brown 175 on a Tri Pod with a poorly painted red bulb & an amber Federal Beacon Ray Dome.

Just had to add this one of my favorites as a kid!!
There's nothing worse than painted bulbs.  When I was a little kid the funeral home had a '51 Chevy sedan-delivery ambulance that had a nice Federal 78 doubletone siren on the left fender with a red PropelloRay light.  But on  the roof were two clear driving lights that had been painted red.  You could see them, but they really looked like crap.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Reactions: Wigwam700

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
CJ184 with clear Dietz lense :D  . I like the shape of the Dietz lense on the Federal beacons.

post-66-140091439938.jpg
We ended up one time doing just the opposite.  The clear dome on our Dietz 211-WW "hill light" got broken and the only thing we could find locally at the time to replace it was a blue 184 dome.  Worked fine for many years.

Reactions: kitn1mcc

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
here is my retrofit of a code 3 xl9000 converted to 4 rotating strobes

For those not familiar with this build concept, the strobe bulbs are stationary, multi-colored filters rotate around them.  It was a really cool concept.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
thanks for the further details john and the compliment

ed
If LEDs hadn't hit the scene when they did this could have been a really useful product.  I always like the concept and execution.

Reactions: kitn1mcc

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
I found a couple of frankenbars at lighbarliquidators.com.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.lightbarliquidators.com/668_500_csupload_38470320.jpg?u=2789453804

Federal twinsonic vista # 284. Custom one of a kind. The story goes like this: one evening a federal twinsonic in his 40”s hooked up with a vista in her twenties.It’s ok, it was consentual. Anyway, 9 months later came the results…. A red twinsonic lightbar with a vista heavy duty power supply and 4 front facing strobes !! this one of a kind light is great for the serious collector for a rec room or man cave. This is perfect for a band, club, or d.j. only one in existance $ 449.95

[Broken External Image]:http://www.lightbarliquidators.com/668_500_csupload_58374716.jpg?u=3681788620

Federal Twinsonic custom lightbar. Bar # 383 is a Federal Twinsonic lightbar with CLEAR lenses. We stripped the insides and added 2 Federal Red/Clear Firebolt Revolvers which draws a fraction of what the Twinsonic did. We also added 2 Red Federal 360% strobes in each end. This is a one of a kind. Only $499.95 this is too good for a vehicle but can be. Add this to your "mancave" or rec room. CAN NOT BE SHIPPED

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.