Vintage Frankenstein-ed lights, beacons and light bars.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I just P/U a twinsonic with asset tags from Hillsboro NJ that someone took the rotators out and put in Streethawk rotators.    What makes it unique is that they mounted them on aluminum from a stop sign and bolted them to the frame...

Reactions: Skip Goulet

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
77 Ford Ltd DPS car used in the Movie, "The Lone Wolf McQuade". These are actually Franken lights as pointed out by another member on a previous post. They are Federal 14s with 17 domes.

police 77 ford ltd from the lone wolf mcquade texas dps car.jpg

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
77 Ford Ltd DPS car used in the Movie, "The Lone Wolf McQuade". These are actually Franken lights as pointed out by another member on a previous post. They are Federal 14s with 17 domes.
They did the same thing in the movie 'A Perfect World', which was supposed to be set in the early to mid 1960s.  Near the end a bunch of patrol cars show up with single bubble top beacons.   They were new 14s with 17 domes.  

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

car54

May 24, 2010
michigan
This is a bar I made with 2 Jr beacon rays internals are code3's LSS222 led beacons and the center Mars 888 with an able2 Ultra led par36 light. Bar itself is a new FS bar with mounting feet from a vista lightbar. Guess this would qualify as a Frankenstein-ed light bar. The last photo the mars still had the sealed beam inside. 0819070238.jpg0819070248.jpg1013214435 - Copy.jpg0614063632.jpg

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA

car54

May 24, 2010
michigan
Unlisted, I'd have to go on a hunt, I believe it's on my old computer that's not working with me currently. Sorry, if I find it I'll edit my post with a video.

Wigwam700

May 25, 2011
New York Adirondacks US
I think the correct way to describe it is a Model 11, singular, not plural. A complete twin Beacon Ray is a Model 11, like a TwinSonic is a Model 12.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
I think the correct way to describe it is a Model 11, singular, not plural. A complete twin Beacon Ray is a Model 11, like a TwinSonic is a Model 12.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Dan, you are most probably correct about the complete models, but I never mentioned models. However if you take one of the beacons off the twin bar and put it on a rock, it is still a Federal Beacon Ray Model 11, and the remaining beacon on the bar would also be an 11. It would be like a cyclops as apposed to a twin.

Last edited by a moderator:

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
feel better stansdds, certainly throws out a nice warning signal

lol

its natural instinct to pull over when you have to throw up

figured it works better then lights and sirens
:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

This is a bar I made with 2 Jr beacon rays internals are code3's LSS222 led beacons and the center Mars 888 with an able2 Ultra led par36 light. Bar itself is a new FS bar with mounting feet from a vista lightbar. Guess this would qualify as a Frankenstein-ed light bar. The last photo the mars still had the sealed beam inside. 
attachicon.gif
0819070238.jpg
attachicon.gif
0819070248.jpg
attachicon.gif
1013214435 - Copy.jpg
attachicon.gif
0614063632.jpg
Ohhh, that qualifies as a Frankenbeacon-bar combo.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
This is a bar I made with 2 Jr beacon rays internals are code3's LSS222 led beacons and the center Mars 888 with an able2 Ultra led par36 light. Bar itself is a new FS bar with mounting feet from a vista lightbar. Guess this would qualify as a Frankenstein-ed light bar. The last photo the mars still had the sealed beam inside. 
attachicon.gif
0819070238.jpg
attachicon.gif
0819070248.jpg
attachicon.gif
1013214435 - Copy.jpg
attachicon.gif
0614063632.jpg
The whole set up looks great. The only thing I don't like is someone modifying a good junior! (or a pair, in this case).

car54

May 24, 2010
michigan
Well Skip, one beacon motor stopped working which gave me the idea. Bought a second to replace the first until I could find an LED beacon to actually fit. Once code 3 came out with the LSS222 the mind was set, I gutted the second and still have the guts in a box on the shelf. That's how this bar came about, just because one motor gave up. BTW I never give up an idea, write it down, draw it up, then if funds and means finally gets created. :crazy:   B)

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Well Skip, one beacon motor stopped working which gave me the idea. Bought a second to replace the first until I could find an LED beacon to actually fit. Once code 3 came out with the LSS222 the mind was set, I gutted the second and still have the guts in a box on the shelf. That's how this bar came about, just because one motor gave up. BTW I never give up an idea, write it down, draw it up, then if funds and means finally gets created. :crazy:   B)
I guess you missed a post I made about Juniors somewhere on this board a while back.  The Junior were notorious for having a small plastic gear go out.  It was always assumed that the motor was gone, when it was just that plastic gear.  I actually did the same thing.  Didn't scrap the whole light, just removed that big 1019 bulb and put it in an old Mars DL8 light...the forerunner of the 888.  Thirty years later I found out that John Dorgan found a source for those gears.   Don't know how many poor little Juniors got scrapped because of that damned gear!

Reactions: Wigwam700

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
attachicon.gif
0819070238.jpg
attachicon.gif
0819070248.jpg
attachicon.gif
1013214435 - Copy.jpg
attachicon.gif
0614063632.jpg
Love love love it!!!! Old with a modern twist.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Love love love it!!!! Old with a modern twist.
-
In old car restoration terms, it's called a "resto-mod"...modifications that bring the best of modern technology (like disk brakes) but can be "un-done" back to stock with a turn on the wrench--or screw driver.

As the owner of 3 mod 15s, it's a very cool setup!

Reactions: kitn1mcc

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
found this surfing the web today. Check out the description.

This is a True Genuine Vintage Internal workings of an old emergency vehicle rotating light fixture. It is missing the surround. The wires are still intact. If you are good with electricity, you can make this into a really neat ceiling lamp or floor lamp for retro-cool clubhouse. This is a heavy duty piece, vintage from the 1960s or '70s. It weighs 4-1/3 lbs. It is all steel with the exception of the plastic lenses. Each lense shows the manufacturer as Yankee Turnflex. It is 8" tall and the base diameter is 7.5". These were the dome styled revolving emergency lights that would spin around on the top of a cop car, fire chief, EMT or any other emergency vehicle. These have gotten to be rare over time. There is a collector's market for the old lights and sirens from back in the day. Excellent Condition. Great piece to restore or repurpose. Automobile Memorablia at a price that you can actually afford. Shiping Priority Mail wiil be $15.00 anywhere in the USA. Additional will be required fo shipping outside the USA. Another Great Deal for somebody out there!
il_570xN_661417531_px2z.jpg

il_570xN_661292976_rpo1.jpg

il_570xN_661293038_ix34.jpg

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
I've seen these before, and think it was really offered, but with an alternating flasher, but you're right, he's way off base.
These lights WERE offered. A small municipality near me had these on their DPW trucks wayyyyy back when. They were just as Dan described w/ a #537 under the base. I even think they may have been in the J.C. Whitney catalog back then but don't quote me on that... Once again, I'll have to do some diggin' for the old literature. These are/were REAL folks! The poor narrator is just clueless, that's all. There were no domes on these...they were mounted just as you see it. 

found this surfing the web today. Check out the description.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
It's definitely not a rotating light, so it's false advertising.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
These lights WERE offered. A small municipality near me had these on their DPW trucks wayyyyy back when. They were just as Dan described w/ a #537 under the base. I even think they may have been in the J.C. Whitney catalog back then but don't quote me on that... Once again, I'll have to do some diggin' for the old literature. These are/were REAL folks! The poor narrator is just clueless, that's all. There were no domes on these...they were mounted just as you see it. 
You are correct.  There are three of four types of these "lollipops on a _________ "  type lights that were sold in auto parts catalogs.  They didn't have outer domes and had between one and six automotive/tractor style lollipops powered with a thermal flasher.

As noted, the description in the initial listing is not even close to what this actually is.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Yikes!  Kind of reminds me of the very first beacon I bought off of eBay.  This was before pictures were common on eBay, so I bought it based on the description.  It was a Federal 17, but someone had drilled extra holes in the 17 skirt, put the dome on top of the 17 skirt, then used what looks like either the top half of a 17-A housing or a cut down 17 skirt to make a dome retaining band, then it was all painted black.  Well, at least the guts of that 17 were intact.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jriccio@necommunications.

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.