What Is Your "Holy Grail" Item?

Crownfire

Jun 23, 2011
USA CA
You can bet if they were a Federal product Eric would be all over it and have perfect replicas in all the variations!

DLuccia

May 21, 2010
Greater Waterbury CT

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
DLuccia said:
Emergency!: Behind the Scene - Richard Yokley, Rozane Sutherland

I read the passages of the book and there are some errors. The C5G is definitely the siren seen on the platters of vehicles used in the Emergency TV show, not the 66G as described in the book.

In the pilot episode a different siren sound was dubbed in for the Squad with the platter. It sounds like a B&M siren, not a Federal.

Squad 51 had a PA20A electronic siren, but the sound that was dubbed in was a recording of a PA20, not a PA20A. The PA20 and PA20A are completely different sirens and don't sound anything like each other.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
MARSMAN said:
Mars mini Spectra w/ 888 and a Federal 174-C.

I had a pair of the mini-Spectras that had the tri-radial beacons and 888s. As I'm sure you know, the domes accepted the colored inserts, and I had alternate red, blue and clear on both Spectras, mounted on the front corners of a '75 Type II Chevy ambulance built by the old Modular Ambulance Corp. And it had a CP100 speaker in the center, first powered by a SiTron siren and later by a Sonic Siren. All of this replaced an aging Twinsonic that came with the ambulance. I really liked the Spectras, as they really lit things up at night, especially with the twin 888s in the package.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Henry455 said:

Thanks, Tim. You know that Kevin is someone you can't argue with where these things are concerned. I had seen the pic of that wing platter with the Super Chief and the two DoRay lollipops.I was surprised to see the DoRays, as I don't think they were used in CA all that much. If you saw that pic with all of the ambulances, most with Super Chiefs, that shot was taken in Northern LA County in the '70s at a mine explosion. PCS member Steve Loftin had found those pix on another website and sent me some prints. I sent copies of them to Lou Farah who is president of Professional Cars International, and he used them in an edition of his monthly newsletter. When I was in paramedic school at Odessa College several years ago, I had shown some of those shots to one of my classmates. This particular shot showed all of the ambulance personnel in coats and ties. He was astounded! Well, it only took 30 years to get people into polos and EMT pants.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Wailer said:
I read the passages of the book and there are some errors. The C5G is definitely the siren seen on the platters of vehicles used in the Emergency TV show, not the 66G as described in the book.

In the pilot episode a different siren sound was dubbed in for the Squad with the platter. It sounds like a B&M siren, not a Federal.

Squad 51 had a PA20A electronic siren, but the sound that was dubbed in was a recording of a PA20, not a PA20A. The PA20 and PA20A are completely different sirens and don't sound anything like each other.

You'd be right about the B&M sound. Kevin O'Connell of B&M says that in some of the episodes where you hear a mechanical siren sound (as on the original Engine 51 which actually had an Interceptor) out of place, it is the sound of an S8B Siro-Drift.

One nice thing I noticed on the book was the picture of old Station 127 which was Station 51 on the show, and that it is now dedicated to Robert Cenader. I didn't realize that he was gone!

I 26

Sep 9, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Reno911 said:
My holy grail would be a CHP Vision. I'd dish out a pretty penny on a old beat up bar. Have CHP Vision model labels, might just build a bar around them.

What makes a CHP Vision other than the labels? I've got a full vision system and would love to turn it CHP or NYPD...

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
I 26 said:
What makes a CHP Vision other than the labels? I've got a full vision system and would love to turn it CHP or NYPD...

Basically the computer board inside the lightbar is programmed with CHP Spec. light patterns.

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
Well, it came and the search is finally over. My Holy Grail item is finally here! I have searched for over 25 years for this siren, a Sireno Signal Projector, circa 1967. It is in beautiful condition for a 46 year old siren. I had one 28 years ago as a volunteer, and like a fool, I traded it for something else. Luckily, this one is in much better shape. The unique thing about these sirens is that they sound like a GE Powercall on warble.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
crescentstar69 said:
Well, it came and the search is finally over. My Holy Grail item is finally here! I have searched for over 25 years for this siren, a Sireno Signal Projector, circa 1967. It is in beautiful condition for a 46 year old siren. I had one 28 years ago as a volunteer, and like a fool, I traded it for something else. Luckily, this one is in much better shape. The unique thing about these sirens is that they sound like a GE Powercall on warble.

Very, very nice. I've got one just like it, and it ain't going anywhere anytime soon!

Marty1

May 29, 2010
Canada, Quebec, Alma
Got 3 holy grail that took me more than 2 years of research here, thanks to my folks that helped and sold them: my Signal Stat Stat 9 NYPD siren, my 2 Signal Stat Dual Comm with clear lenses NYPD setup and my 6 Full-Vues lights by Grimes !

To be honest a holy grail I absolutely need to acquire in future would be a 1967 or 68 Superior Cadillac High Top ambulance, could trade everything I own (except my wife) for that !! Gorgeous!

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Marty1 said:
Got 3 holy grail that took me more than 2 years of research here, thanks to my folks that helped and sold them: my Signal Stat Stat 9 NYPD siren, my 2 Signal Stat Dual Comm with clear lenses NYPD setup and my 6 Full-Vues lights by Grimes !

To be honest a holy grail I absolutely need to acquire in future would be a 1967 or 68 Superior Cadillac High Top ambulance, could trade everything I own (except my wife) for that !! Gorgeous!

You might want to look at the classifieds section on the PCS board. There are usually some hightop Cadillacs listed there, and usually much more reasonable than what you'd see on Ebay. Their web address is: www.professionalcarsociety.com.

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
Well you learn something new every day. My Sireno is missing the wiring harness. After downloading the manual for it, the male plug is called a Jones Connector. I was shocked that they are still available, and I have one on the way to make my own harness.

Many thanks to Skip Goulet and Henry455 for their help! We truly have some amazing members here.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
crescentstar69 said:
Well you learn something new every day. My Sireno is missing the wiring harness. After downloading the manual for it, the male plug is called a Jones Connector. I was shocked that they are still available, and I have one on the way to make my own harness.

Many thanks to Skip Goulet and Henry455 for their help! We truly have some amazing members here.

I suffered a "senior moment" when we were on PM, Mark. I couldn't think of the name "Jones connector" to save my life. The Interceptors also used a Jones plug, but as Tim has suggested, the wiring may be a bit different. You're gonna have to post a demo when you get it up and running (or howling, as the case may be. :p ).

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
Skip Goulet said:
I suffered a "senior moment" when we were on PM, Mark. I couldn't think of the name "Jones connector" to save my life. The Interceptors also used a Jones plug, but as Tim has suggested, the wiring may be a bit different. You're gonna have to post a demo when you get it up and running (or howling, as the case may be. :p ).

Will do!

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
My holy grail item would have to be the JazzDad Company (now JazzDad Industries, Inc.) Model 1, serial #000001 beacon. I can't believe we sold it; but then we never expected in our wildest dreams to become the premier emergency lighting manufacturer in the world. I can only imagine what that little darling would sell for today. Sotheby's, on the right day, could probably get 35 cents for it.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
JazzDad said:
My holy grail item would have to be the JazzDad Company (now JazzDad Industries, Inc.) Model 1, serial #000001 beacon. I can't believe we sold it; but then we never expected in our wildest dreams to become the premier emergency lighting manufacturer in the world. I can only imagine what that little darling would sell for today. Sotheby's, on the right day, could probably get 35 cents for it.

Do have any pix of it??

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Skip Goulet said:
Do have any pix of it??

Sorry. Great Grandad never took pictures of the early stuff. It was sold strictly by his cadre of salesmen, who traveled across the country by train.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
After maturing a bit and realizing I will have to hit the lotto to have them all....I would trade everything I have (except my MSP Libby/NYPD Aero and LAPD Aero) for a BNIB CTS bar red/blue with the dual 58w speakers installed or a BNIB CATS shorty 48" Bar.... Should I acquire both of these items I will be done. Well a Deitz 711 NOS w/ a clear dome may be another....and a NOS 174 w/clear dome.....um...a 72" NFPA loaded up Advantedge...and...um...uh

Reno911

Sep 15, 2012
Southern Oregon
I 26 said:

ERIC6913 said:
Basically the computer board inside the lightbar is programmed with CHP Spec. light patterns.

Correct. I bet you could program some of the CHP modes into a regular vision. I know the modes. Making a CHP bar out of Smart Vector Pods, I can do 3 modes that CHP bars had.

flahotrod

Aug 1, 2011
Florida
First is a Mars bar with two blue-domed Skybolts, 3 lamps in each, two can-lights with blue bulbs inboard, and a siren speaker in the middle.

Next would be a blue-domed 173 Beacon Ray.

Third would be a Visibar with a clear-domed, alternating blue & red bulb CJ184 in the center and a pair of clear-domed model 14 beacons with blue and red bulbs on the ends.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
Reno911 said:
Correct. I bet you could program some of the CHP modes into a regular vision. I know the modes. Making a CHP bar out of Smart Vector Pods, I can do 3 modes that CHP bars had.

Im not sure of that. One of the modes, the CHP had, was all but the center pod flashed to the front at the same time. If I remember correctly there is not a pattern that does that in the programming guide. You can program the bar to have any pod(s) steady burn.

FFParker

Jul 17, 2010
Aiken, SC
A ROTO RAY! red red white. I would put it on the 'Hoe

B&M Super Chief

Stirling siren model 30, well any stirling really

federal c6b........ Hell I want one of every mech siren. But mainly a deeper tone siren.

Crownfire

Jun 23, 2011
USA CA
Blue Dietz 211

Blue glass dome Beacon Ray. I have red, clear, and amber domes in glass, just need the blue to complete my collection. Apparently others also share my obsession: recently a blue dome and skirt (no innards) went for over $300 on eBay.

Dietz 211 Hill Light

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Crownfire said:
Blue Dietz 211

Blue glass dome Beacon Ray. I have red, clear, and amber domes in glass, just need the blue to complete my collection. Apparently others also share my obsession: recently a blue dome and skirt (no innards) went for over $300 on eBay.

Dietz 211 Hill Light

yeah i saw that, crazy.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Crownfire said:
Blue Dietz 211

Dietz 211 Hill Light

I had a Dietz 211-WW hill light many years ago. It came off a friend's '61 Pontiac ambulance when he retired the car and literally pieced it out. He sold the Q and the twin 2-lamp Dietz beacons to a guy with the FD in Albuquerque and I got the Dietz light. I used it on several different ambulances over the years. It was originally clear with red/clear bulbs, but at some point the clear dome got broken and all I could find was a blue dome; so it was run with clear bulbs under the blue dome for many years. The last rig it was on was a '70 Chevy high top Suburban. It sat up center rear on the high top, and I had four Dietz lollipops (2red, 2 blue) and two CP110 speakers over the cab. I was a ranking officer with my VFD at the time and responded in the Suburban for the most part. One night on a fire run we lost the blue dome. I was in the lead and the guys behind me all hollered about how bright that light was totally clear. So I said to them, "Well, at least you could see, it, huh!" The next day I went out and found my blue dome. It was still on the truck when it was stolen in 1989 when I was in the hospital for an extended stay. Never have found the truck, but I still have title to it.

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
guy m. said:
Does anybody know the demensions of the triangle plate that the lights and siren are mounted on?

Just grab one of these after dark... paint it silver... should be close! :cool:

ai147.photobucket.com_albums_r302_ford_dealer_images_zpsd10ca1f4.jpg

Liberty703

Dec 11, 2012
Maine
guy m. said:
Does anybody know the demensions of the triangle plate that the lights and siren are mounted on?

ai70.photobucket.com_albums_i116_Nyc3065_PlatterLight.jpeg

Mine looks different... :confused:

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Well...I can finally cross my list off. A Mars Aurora Borealis is heading my way!!! It is in average condition. The base was at one point painted, dome has a crack in the rear, and the motor may be shot, but it is a very low serial number and has the original stamped tag and it is a FREAKING AURORA BOREALIS!!!

:woot: :woohoo: :2thumbs: :celebrate: :dance: :fangirl:

It ships out Monday so stay tuned folks.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helmi

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.