2004 Ford Explorer. Update w/videos 3/08/14

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I changed some of the lighting. The light on the roof was changed from a 911ep to a SNM E66. SNM E66 mini was added to the sides of the brushguard. The 911ep in the side windows were changed to a SOS nForce as well as on the running boards and around the rear plate. Most of the lights are now synced with a SOS flasher. (grille lights, E66 mini, mirrorbeams, nForce in side windows and running boards, and taillights) The nForce on the rear plate are on a Whelen flasher.

brushguard side.JPG

new front 2.JPG

new plate.jpg

Nov 7, 2011
New England
Eric1249 said:
Debating adding a spotlight with the Whelen LED. Opinions?

Here's the way I look at it.. I am not a whacker nor do I typically enjoy them (although I support some of the local whackers habits lol), so I will try to be as unbiased as possible here:

Simple question: how many times have you been at a disadvantage because you didn't have a spotlight on the vehicle? IMHO a spotlight on a POV just draws a lot of unnecessary attention and for what purpose.. to mess with other guys on the dept. when you pull up now and then? They're designed for law enforcement purposes. It seems that money is not an object so If you don't mind spending the extra cash I;m not going to stop you obviously, I just don't see the point.

and yes, I know its America so " BECAUSE " is a good enough justification for anything...lol

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I used to have Impaxx 6 in red/clear on my running boards. I used to use them when I would come home at night checking around my house and the neighbors. (no street lights) It is changing in my neighborhood. I have used them to light up an area if needed. I have the clears to the back for when I am in reverse or if I need to light up my trailer or whatever. It is a convenience.

My truck seems to get attention for some reason now. Could be the big reds out on the brushguard? lol. So that doenst bother me

Mr911

Jun 2, 2010
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Eric, your truck gets attention simply because it's not a "normal" SUV...I get the same thing with mine...Just because we put some extras on and take some pride in what we drive. After all, how many other Explorers look as nice or are lifted? I really don't think the lights have as much to do with it as just it's mere "appearance".

If you want the pillar light...go for it! There are many around here that use them for just off-roading. But if you do, I would do the black housing. I think it would look better.

Just my .02

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Very nice ride. How many miles you got in it?

The only thing I'm not a big fan of is the grill (I liked the standard ford grill), but your lighting setup looks great too. I would definitely go ahea with your thoughts about adding impaxx on the side of the brishguard, but I would do dual red/clear instead of just clear.

Btw, not that you're in any dire need of additional lighting, but have u thought about putting a dual Viper/Avenger on the dash? Even though you have multiple levels of lighting between the mirror beams, 911ep, and tomars, I always love seeing a centered dash light on installs. Good luck bro.

REDDPSE

May 21, 2010
Central Ohio
Did you mount the Sam stick the same way as the 911ep?

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I guess I should list my updated lighting.

Front:

SNM E66 on rack

Tomars on brushguard

HLF

Mirrorbeams (I look at these as more as front lighting)

Sides:

Two SOS nForce on running boards

One SOS nForce in side window

SNM E66 mini on the side of the brushguard

Rear:

Two nForce on rear plate. Red/clear. Red for calls and the clear comes on in reverse and/or with a switch

SOS leds in the tails. Clear in reverse and red in brake lights

I still have the Smart Siren. I added a Carson SC-1002 I got off Craigslist for $50. I put it under my seat and I just use the mech. and it is on a switch on the SS. All the nForce, mini E66, mirrorbeams, gills, tail lights are all synced with a SOS flasher and the rear lights with a Whelen flasher. I might change the SOS flasher to a Whelen. I ordered a Feniex Pythin 600 for the brushguard. And I am going to put some off road lights where the Tomars are now. I am also thinking about putting Whelen PAR's that operate as driving lights where the factory driving lights are now.

The factory grill was chrome. It didn't match with all the black on my truck now. Think a dash light would be too much?

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Eric1249 said:
Think a dash light would be too much?

personally, no, but that's because i like having a lightbar on the roof, a centered dash light, and grill warning (and i think of the mirrorbeams as just an added plus). some people may say it's too much, but i personally think that the dash is missing something and that a light there would look great. i also like how you went with the n-force linears around the perimeter and that you wired the rear LP lights as dual warning/reverse use...was it hard to do that?

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
pdk9 said:
personally, no, but that's because i like having a lightbar on the roof, a centered dash light, and grill warning (and i think of the mirrorbeams as just an added plus). some people may say it's too much, but i personally think that the dash is missing something and that a light there would look great. i also like how you went with the n-force linears around the perimeter and that you wired the rear LP lights as dual warning/reverse use...was it hard to do that?

Thanks. To get the nForce on the back to work I had to add a few diodes. If I would have not used an external flasher and not a switch, that would be two less diodes. I like having the bright reverse lights. The lights to the rear are a nice to have. I debated adding two clear nforce to the side or changing the E66 minis on the side to clear.

Pyron

Jul 21, 2012
Waukesha, WI
Here's the updated video of Eric's Exploder.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Thanks for compliments. There are some changes coming. A Feniex Python 600 will be going on the brushguard under the bar that the Tomars are on. Tomars will be replaced with off road lights. I might also change the SOS flasher to a Whelen flasher. Something for the rear window might be in order as well

Nov 7, 2011
New England
Eric1249 said:
Thanks for compliments. There are some changes coming. A Feniex Python 600 will be going on the brushguard under the bar that the Tomars are on. Tomars will be replaced with off road lights. I might also change the SOS flasher to a Whelen flasher. Something for the rear window might be in order as well

looks like crystal coast upfitters is having a good sale on python 600's. may want to check that out.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I already ordered a Python 600 through Fever. Where is the least expensive place to get the Whelen PAR's for my driving lights? I want the ones that are clear driving lights but then flash red. I am going to try to use the Ford Interceptor mounts and modify them somehow.

Nov 7, 2011
New England
Eric1249 said:
I already ordered a Python 600 through Fever. Where is the least expensive place to get the Whelen PAR's for my driving lights? I want the ones that are clear driving lights but then flash red. I am going to try to use the Ford Interceptor mounts and modify them somehow.

Good Choice going through Fever. I don't really sell much whelen stuff so I wouldn't be able to help you there. hint though, nowhere is going to be cheap.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Louis at strobesnmore.com or John Forbes @ lonestarpse.com

Both have low prices and are happy to special order an item for you if they don't have it in stock

PS What kind of lighting are you contemplating for the rear window?

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I ordered one PAR and a mount for a Ford Interceptor throught PSE. I ordered just one for now. I will see if I can make it work and if it does I will order a second one. Not really sure what I want to do for the rear? I placed a SNM E66 up there and it jsut seemed to be too much. I think there is a video (not very clear) on this thread somewhere. My original plan was to add two more nForce. I will have to see if I like the Feniex and maybe I will go that direction? Kind of wish I would have went with the Cobra over the Python since they are phasing it out. I am sure I wont have any problems selling it to someone on my dept. I also been debating adding clear to the side. I can be anal, so whatever I put in the side window will have to match the rear window. That being side, I am not against changing nForce in the side windows

Dec 4, 2011
US NC
Eric1249 said:
I ordered one PAR and a mount for a Ford Interceptor throught PSE. I ordered just one for now. I will see if I can make it work and if it does I will order a second one. Not really sure what I want to do for the rear? I placed a SNM E66 up there and it jsut seemed to be too much. I think there is a video (not very clear) on this thread somewhere. My original plan was to add two more nForce. I will have to see if I like the Feniex and maybe I will go that direction? Kind of wish I would have went with the Cobra over the Python since they are phasing it out. I am sure I wont have any problems selling it to someone on my dept. I also been debating adding clear to the side. I can be anal, so whatever I put in the side window will have to match the rear window. That being side, I am not against changing nForce in the side windows

I don't think a bar on the rear would be to much at all, especially if you used a good pattern. I think it would round out the vehicle nicely.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Nice setup... I am digging the lightforce lights...

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Not sure what pattern to use on the Pyton yet. I am waiting on Whelen PAR's for the driving lights. And I am going to get a new HLF. I am thinking about possibly going with Cobras in the side windows if I can mount them up high? Possibly changing the LED flasher to a Whelen. I think I like the ComAlert pattern better.

Black spot light?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.