2004 Ford Explorer. Update w/videos 3/08/14

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I am in the slow process of changing things around. Dominator isn't on right now, Avenger might get swapped out with an Inner Edge. And some of the side lighting is being changed around. So maybe once it gets a little more squared away I will get a friend to make a video?

I have a Touchmaster Delta and a Carson. Ever since I got the TM I never use the Carson. So I am thinking about getting rid of it and either getting a Rumbler or an air horn? I know nothing about what to look for when it comes to an air horn?

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
A Rumbler would be a whole lot easier to install. That's the route I would go because unless you're willing to mount a large air tank inside the truck you won't get very much usage out of the horns before any tank that would fit outside the would be empty. In my experience, nothing clears traffic like a good airhorn, but on a vehicle like yours it really isn't practical IMO.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I have a third seat in my truck that I never use. There is a decent sized space between the 2nd and 3rd seat on the floor. I think a decent sized tank might fit in there?

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
I wouldn't even consider mounting it there because there's no way you would be able to fold the seats and you would lose prettty much ll of your cargo room, also now that I think about it, I'm not sure how comfortable I would be with have a tank pressurized with 150+psi of air inside the passenger compartment.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
acala91 said:
I wouldn't even consider mounting it there because there's no way you would be able to fold the seats and you would lose prettty much ll of your cargo room, also now that I think about it, I'm not sure how comfortable I would be with have a tank pressurized with 150+psi of air inside the passenger compartment.

Now that you mention that, I don't think it is a good idea

Tlauden

Apr 3, 2011
Halifax, PA
I would suggest getting as big a tank as you can fit. The more air the better!! Also don't go cheap on the compressor. Viair makes great oil-less 12v compressors.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA

This is my first attempt at a video on Youtube. Video is terrible. This is a temporary set up. I put the Power Arc on the dash for now. Waiting on the second one then they will be on the brush guard. And waiting for a Pegasus

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I added a pair of Power Arcs to the brush guard. Thanks to DefianceEngineCompany I got to use them today. There was a noticeable difference. I also added a Pegasus. Thanks FEVER. The takedowns are on their own flasher. And the entire right side is wired together, as well as the left side is wired together. It runs off my ULF44 so it is synced with the mirrorbeams and the PARs.

I need opinions. I am going to put a Lifetime LED bar on the brush guard as well. I can't decide between the 20 inch 20 led bar (combo pattern 9000 lumens) and the 22.5 120w cree led. (10,600 lumens) I think the 22.5 inch will blend in better with the look if the truck.

power arc 1.jpg

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
wow! A pair of PowerArcs?? this build gets better everytime i look at it!!

22"mounted underneath the cross bar?

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Storm4200 said:
wow. this build gets better everytime i look at it!!

22"mounted underneath the cross bar?

Thanks. The 22" would go underneath the cross bar. Just not sure which look/style I rather go with? Trying to get the gf to make the decision lol. Once I sell my Dominator I will order the light.

I also added 3 switches below my siren. The first two are powered once the slide switch is in position 3. One is for my HLF and the flashing takedowns. So if I want to eliminate one or the other I can just turn switch off. The other switch is just for a map light.

console switches.jpg

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
ff168577 said:
I want another video, NOW. Haha. It looks awesome.

I will work on a video. I am not very good when it comes to videos/computers. I created a youtube account and I can't even figure out how to change my profile name lol

I am thinking about getting a Lifetime led for the front. I could either mount below the crossbar or just attach to the roof rack? Or both lol.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA

Here is a link to a video. Not sure how to get it to show up on here? My videos are not too clear with my phone. I am thinking I need a windshield without tint?

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA

thought about adding Cobra or something else to running board?

Option 1- Add a 10 inch Lifetime LED to the center of the running board and leave everything else

Option 2- Whelen Super LED to side of brush guard and a V Series ION to the center of the running board.

Option 3- A pair of Cobra without a internal flasher. Red/clear. But the clear would be a takedown to have solid light to the sides when needed

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Thanks guys. The Cobra on the running board in the last video is just sitting there. I wanted to see how it looks. I was thinking of changing the Avenger in the side window to a Cobra and mounting it higher up? But then I would have to change the rear stick so they match lol

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Eric1249 said:
Thanks guys. The Cobra on the running board in the last video is just sitting there. I wanted to see how it looks. I was thinking of changing the Avenger in the side window to a Cobra and mounting it higher up? But then I would have to change the rear stick so they match lol

The optics on the cobra will probably be more visible than the avenger on the side windows. But the cobra looks good right where you set it if you can mount it around there. It'll definitely give you some great distance warning power from the sides.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
So here is what I have now.

Front:

Feniex Pegasus

Power Arcs on brush guard

Whelen PAR's in driving lights

Whelen Mirror Beams

Side:

Whelen ION on brush guard

Feniex Cobra 400 in side window. red/red but might change to red/white.

Pegasus, PAR's, Mirror Beams, and the Cobra 400's are synced with a Whelen ULF44.

Rear:

Cobra 600

Red Cannons in brake light housing (I put 2006 tail lights on a 2004)

Amber Cannons in reverse light housing

White Cannons for reverse lights.

I can easily switch between the amber or white in reverse lights. everything in the rear is synced with a ULF44.

Right now I have a Touchmaster Delta but Tuesday I will be getting a Feniex 4200. I will be getting a Storm and a Unitrol 80k. Not sure if I will keep the console in yet?

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I know white is a frowned upon in the rear but it is easy to change. I am not a fan if night videos but being at night and the snow on the ground you can see what kind of output the Cannons have.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
These are a couple pics of the light output of the Lifetime LEDS. I have a 20 on the front and 6 on the side. The pic of the front I can't remember if my headlights were on? The pic of the front of my house is with the 6 inch. A lot of the light is blocked by the snow bank. ( I was close to it)

lifetime 3.JPG

lifetime 4.PNG

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.