2004 Ford Explorer. Update w/videos 3/08/14

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I got a Feniex Cobra 200. I threw it up in the windshield. I can run either the dashlight or the SNM on the roof. I got the Cobra to see if I want to use them in my side windows. I just need to figure out a way to mount them

I also got a new SOS HLF. I got the one with 7 patterns

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
i know you said you just threw the dash light in there, but im not a fan. I like it so much better without.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Storm4200 said:
i know you said you just threw the dash light in there, but im not a fan. I like it so much better without.

I am normally not a fan of a dashlight with a lightbar. The other morning I ran with just the dashlight in the fog and one of my friends said he could see it down the block. Other then the HLF that is the only clear I have to the front. I have given thought to taking the SNM off the roof and maybe putting it in the back.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Eric1249 said:
I am normally not a fan of a dashlight with a lightbar. The other morning I ran with just the dashlight in the fog and one of my friends said he could see it down the block. Other then the HLF that is the only clear I have to the front. I have given thought to taking the SNM off the roof and maybe putting it in the back.

dont you DARE. that SNM stick looks great there. Have you mounted the stick that was in your rear window on the roof rack yet?

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
All I have in the rear is a pair of nforce on the rear plate, SOS leds in the tail lights. The LEDs in the tails flash like a taillights flasher. Nice and simple.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Just do it already. I'm about I pull the trigger myself. I already have the unity, and the led drop-in is only $100

Mr911

Jun 2, 2010
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Eric1249 said:
Any ideas how you are going to mount them?

Yes...I ordered new driving light housings online...the plan is to gut the assembly-remove the factory lamp housing, modify it to accept the flush-mount Whelen and reuse the brackets and mounting screws; connect the warning 12v+ wire and ground wire to the existing wires feeding the TIR3; connect the driving light wire to the existing factory 12v+ wire and hopefully all will work as it should. I'll let you know how it goes...I also plan on taking lots of photos when I do the process and make it into a little tutorial how-to.

Mr911

Jun 2, 2010
Northeastern Pennsylvania
As far as the spotlight goes...if you do it, you can't change it back easily if you don't like it or want a change...I can't wait to make progress on my lights either but the darn weather won't cooperate...guess I have to be patient

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I am supposed to help a guy on my FD with his install and the weather hasnt been great. And 3 fires in a week.

I just found out there is a local shop that stocks Whelen products and he has the PAR's. I just hope that having a dealer so close wont cost me too much lol.

I just cant make my mind up on the spotlight

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
You won't catch me drilling holes like that in my POV. Not worth it IMO. If you really need a spot light, mount a Go Light on the roof.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Or another option would be to mount some Feniex Python 100s on the roof rack facing out and sides of the brush guard. With the offroad lights up front, and the dual color nForces all around you would have plenty of 360 degree scene lighting without drilling a huge hole on the vehicle.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
The Nforce are single color. The only dual colors are on the rear. I regret not getting dual colors.

I am not too worried about holes. Truck has 105,000 miles and its paid for

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Some of the changes so far. Avenger red/clear in windshield. Dominator 6 on the brushguard. I am waiting for the PAR's for the driving lights. I still can't make up my mind on the sides and the rear?

truck 2.JPG

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I never really used the bar on the roof. I think once I get the PAR's it should be more then enough. I added red/clear IONs onthe sides of the brushguard. Still have 2 Nforce on the running boards and one in the side window. Might go with D4 in the side windows. In the rear window I was thinking of a D8 TA with reds on the ends. I have some other thoughts.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
put a pair of MICRO PIONEERS on the front BG. get a SYNC avenger, and sync every single light in the front. Ions included

what TA for the rear? TIR, DOM+ with LINZ6? what ?

there are CUDA OHPs in the classifieds for $65

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
Storm4200 said:
put a pair of MICRO PIONEERS on the front BG. get a SYNC avenger, and sync every single light in the front. Ions included

what TA for the rear? TIR, DOM+ with LINZ6? what ?

there are CUDA OHPs in the classifieds for $65

I plan on syncing everything once it is all on. I was thinking Dominator TA for the rear. Amber with red ends.

Pyron

Jul 21, 2012
Waukesha, WI
Eric1249 said:
I plan on syncing everything once it is all on. I was thinking Dominator TA for the rear. Amber with red ends.

On a side note: Jealous of the siren. Sounded awesome today :(

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
I say put the red E66 back on the roof rack and get a dual color red/amber E66 for the rear. No sense in paying almost twice the price for a Dominator when the E66 is just s bright and more capable.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
acala91 said:
I say put the red E66 back on the roof rack and get a dual color red/amber E66 for the rear. No sense in paying almost twice the price for a Dominator when the E66 is just s bright and more capable.

I really didn't use the E66 when it was on the roof. I do some work for someone that sells Whelen. So I get better prices.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Still, I doubt that you could get it even for close to the price of an E66 and the E66 still has more functionality.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I finally got my Whelen Par's. (interleaved) Just one of the few changes that I have made. There are a couple changes yet to come. Maybe once it is done (is it ever really done?) I will have a friend make a video.

driving lights 2.jpg

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
weve been waiting months for these. dont hold back on a video noW!

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I want to get a couple more things done before the video. I am going to change the Ions on the sides of the brush guard to a solid color. I was thinking clear? The side rear windows will be D2's that will be synced. And either a SOS Pinnacle or an Inner Edge?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.