The Fire Helmet Thread

bwoodruff

Aug 8, 2011
Upstate NY
Don't let this thread die, it is probably my favorite thread on this board! lol :)

I've updated my N5A a bit:

afarm8.staticflickr.com_7088_7310238998_9e4b1bd533.png

I took the Streamlight 4AA and rubber band off (wedges and window punch now in coat pocket), and attached a Streamlight Vantage. I've also put new tets on and added the flag at the top.

SBFD-E-9

May 24, 2010
Washington IL
Does anyone know if it is possible to add a ratchet strap to a New Yorker? I emailed Cairns about it and they said they can't do it, but I figure there is probably a way. It is a perfect fit when I have my mask and nomex on, but for an MVA or something it is just a little too big.

Thanks,

Dan

bwoodruff

Aug 8, 2011
Upstate NY
SBFD-E-9 said:
Does anyone know if it is possible to add a ratchet strap to a New Yorker? I emailed Cairns about it and they said they can't do it, but I figure there is probably a way. It is a perfect fit when I have my mask and nomex on, but for an MVA or something it is just a little too big.

Thanks,

Dan

What I do, and I know you aren't really supposed to, is roll the neck flap up into the helmet when on those kinds of calls to give a tighter fit. Even with the ratchet, I leave it adjusted for having a mask and nomex on.

SBFD-E-9

May 24, 2010
Washington IL
bwoodruff said:
What I do, and I know you aren't really supposed to, is roll the neck flap up into the helmet when on those kinds of calls to give a tighter fit. Even with the ratchet, I leave it adjusted for having a mask and nomex on.

That is what I do also. I was just hoping maybe a ratchet can be added lol.

Dan

bwoodruff

Aug 8, 2011
Upstate NY
Very nice lid!

gfpd26

May 21, 2010
Greenville, IL
CPDG23 said:
You must be one proud dad. :thumbsup:

Actually, these two live about 15 minutes away in another town and on a differrent Dept. My stepson is with me on my local department. In addition, my brother is on my department as a Captain. Our Dad was on the department years ago and owned the local EMS with my mother.

Guess its a family tradition thing.

Alex

May 21, 2010
Queen Creek, AZ
Fire Explorer Lid, then relabeled once I turned 18.

ai59.photobucket.com_albums_g317_agrieger_0907070838b.jpg

ai59.photobucket.com_albums_g317_agrieger_0907070838c.jpg

Department retired the brain buckets and bought traditional style helmets. New lid with older shields.

ai59.photobucket.com_albums_g317_agrieger_0907070838.jpg

ai59.photobucket.com_albums_g317_agrieger_0907070838a.jpg

My LT Lid with new style shield.

ai59.photobucket.com_albums_g317_agrieger_0907070839.jpg

ai59.photobucket.com_albums_g317_agrieger_0907070839a.jpg

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
I just purchased another Cairns New Yorker for my collection. It had been stored in a garage for some time, and it smells musty and of mildlew. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for how to get the smell out of it.

HFD eng1ine

Jul 27, 2010
Essex County. MA
SBFD-E-9 said:

Thanks,

Dan

Yes i did it. Order the ratchet from the fire store. It will come with some little plastic thingys that hold it in. You will have to cut your own brackets and drill dome holes in them. Check out my helmet thread for more pictures. Pm me if you'd like, I know that was a very vague description of what i did.

Kent

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
Tristar said:
I just purchased another Cairns New Yorker for my collection. It had been stored in a garage for some time, and it smells musty and of mildlew. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for how to get the smell out of it.
Scrub it out with bleach water real good. Then "bake" it in an oven to dry it out. If the mildew isn't engrained into it too much, it should work.

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
Bigassfireman said:
Scrub it out with bleach water real good. Then "bake" it in an oven to dry it out. If the mildew isn't engrained into it too much, it should work.

OK, thank you very much.

LawrenceM1993

Jun 2, 2010
Saratoga NY/Norfolk VA
My black Carins 1010. I had a yellow one when I was a Probie before I finished FF1. The eagle was bent by a friend who had my yellow helmet first, swapped it to my black lid.

Fire Helmet (1).jpg

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
I recently purchased a few more helmets for my collection. Two of them came from a guy in the Hartford, CT area - he found them in a storage locker he purchased. In any case, one of the helmets has a badge that says EMT / Fire-Rescue/ PHTLS. I know that PHTLS stands for PreHospital Trauma Life Support, but I have two questions: I understand why EMT would be on the shield, but why PHTLS? Also why wouldn't the shield have the department name on it?

2012-09-05_23-08-32_296.jpg

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
I need to get me a Leather one of these days!!

amccullers

May 22, 2010
Wetumpka, Alabama
This is my collection of helmets and ones I use.

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u259_amccullers_IMG_20121024_090711.jpg

1950's Bullard I don't think the shield was factory. This belonged to a local dept that I was on a couple of years ago.

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u259_amccullers_IMG_20121024_090722.jpg

My wife's family had a foreign exchange student from Germany and her dad was a FF and wanted to exchange helmets with an American FF. I trade a black 1010 for this. I'm unsure how old it is maybe somebody can help with that.

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u259_amccullers_IMG_20121024_101501.jpg

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u259_amccullers_IMG_20121024_101510.jpg

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u259_amccullers_IMG_20121024_101521.jpg

Sam Houston I wear at my part time/volunteer dept. From 7a-5p I'm paid after that I'm volunteer.

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u259_amccullers_IMG_20121024_101436.jpg

I won this Sam Houston from Sunbelt fire, it is a med so it sits on my shelf. 181 was my number before I got rank.

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u259_amccullers_IMG_20121024_101419.jpg

I wear this Paul Conway at my fulltime dept.

ai170.photobucket.com_albums_u259_amccullers_IMG_20121024_101445.jpg

ff_coddington

Oct 29, 2010
smithfield,pa
This was my dads helmet he got out of firefighting gave it to me for graduation. Then i used it for 6 years after added the flag and new reflective side makers. As you can see i put it through roughly 50 + structure fire of all types. hope you like it as it now is retired until my son start firefighting and wants it but that will be like 10 years from now. Forgot to add it's a Ben 2 helmet and "Codfish" is mine and his nicknames.

helmet1.jpg

helmet2.jpg

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
that is probably the most .....unique....helmet shield I've ever seen

ff_coddington

Oct 29, 2010
smithfield,pa
Phoenix_Rising said:
that is probably the most .....unique....helmet shield I've ever seen

The local news crew did a close up of me one time while on a working structure fire i had a mask on and couldn't see my face but seen the shield lmfao

ff_coddington

Oct 29, 2010
smithfield,pa
Tristar said:
I'm not a prude, but the image seems rather inappropriate.

Yeah it is, that's what makes it unique something you don't see too much of everyday. Is it offence no shouldn't be atleast to everyone i'm around thinks not. But you definietly have the right to voice your opinion.

nightwolf

Oct 26, 2011
US Northeast
ff_coddington said:
90's kids know this it's a cartoon character from the show ren and stimpy.

Yeah, but I don't think the cartoon showed the character's penis. I'd say it's salty and such, but the whole patient care aspect of the fire service turns me off. I'd feel wrong cutting a 12-year-old out of a car with such an (imho) inappropriate shield on my helmet for everyone to see.

ff_coddington

Oct 29, 2010
smithfield,pa
nightwolf said:
Yeah, but I don't think the cartoon showed the character's penis. I'd say it's salty and such, but the whole patient care aspect of the fire service turns me off. I'd feel wrong cutting a 12-year-old out of a car with such an (imho) inappropriate shield on my helmet for everyone to see.

the helmet is now retired and really don't think anyone really cares what you look like when something happens to them, more worried about you getting them out.

ryan81986

Apr 13, 2011
Boston, MA
ff_coddington said:
The local news crew did a close up of me one time while on a working structure fire i had a mask on and couldn't see my face but seen the shield lmfao

You mean you actually had that on your helmet when it was in service? I figured you put it on after the helmet was retired. I can't believe any chief would allow that.

HFD eng1ine

Jul 27, 2010
Essex County. MA
ff_coddington said:
This was my dads helmet he got out of firefighting gave it to me for graduation. Then i used it for 6 years after added the flag and new reflective side makers. As you can see i put it through roughly 50 + structure fire of all types. hope you like it as it now is retired until my son start firefighting and wants it but that will be like 10 years from now. Forgot to add it's a Ben 2 helmet and "Codfish" is mine and his nicknames.

I definatly wouldn't allow that on my department but nice helmet!

Kent

bwoodruff

Aug 8, 2011
Upstate NY
ff_coddington said:

Nice helmet. Could do without the shield, but that is just my opinion. You know what they say about opinions. :)

ff_coddington

Oct 29, 2010
smithfield,pa
ryan81986 said:
You mean you actually had that on your helmet when it was in service? I figured you put it on after the helmet was retired. I can't believe any chief would allow that.

Yes, had it for 6 years in service didn't have that shield on that long but on the one call where i did i was on the news. But i guess i got lucky and i have a cool chief.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
25CK117

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.