2011 Dodge Durango Citadel ***Updated - 06/5/17 ***

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I love the large footprints in the grill. The only thing I don't like right now is the 911ep stick's knight rider-type warning pattern, but I know you're gonna replace it with a Feniex stick anyways.

Are you still planning on doing apollos to the rear? I think B/A and B/C cannons to the rear would be a better route

Last edited by a moderator:
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I love the large footprints in the grill.
Indeed, I've always been a fan of big grill lights...  I may replace them in the not to distant future if Feniex releases their larger lightheads...  lol

The only thing I don't like right now is the 911ep stick's knight rider-type warning pattern, but I know you're gonna replace it with a Feniex stick anyways.
Yeah, I know that most on this site don't like that pattern, but I love it...  Eventually I will be getting a "dumb" Cobra 800 in amber and running of off the T/A outputs of the 4200...  But that wont be for a while.  I may change the pattern on the 911EP, but for now its good...  

Are you still planning on doing apollos to the rear? I think B/A and B/C cannons to the rear would be a better route
I still want to do Apollos in the rear, but again, not sure when that will happen (gotta get more funds)...  I do have a pair of solid blue Apollos on the way.  the original plan for them was to mount them on the mirrors, but I'm not sure how feasable that is going to be, so I might order a LP bracket and mount them in the rear, not sure yet...  

Where are you suggesting I put the Cannons...?  The stock reverse light spot is already filled with a Feniex Fairy, and I don't really feel like replacing them...  lol  

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Lookin good!  Dig that grille and the LP pattern.  The dash light on steady burn? or is it just flashing too quick for the camera to pick it up??

(BTW I got the 600's you sold me installed...still working on the rest. )

Reactions: TritonBoulder47
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Lookin good!  Dig that grille and the LP pattern.  The dash light on steady burn? or is it just flashing too quick for the camera to pick it up??

(BTW I got the 600's you sold me installed...still working on the rest. )
Thanks man...  I had to change the grill lights to Signal Alert because Action FLash doesn't sync between ULF-44s, and I found the "Cluster" pattern on the Pegasus was sweet...  No, the dash light is on steady, but the camera makes it appear as if its flashing...

Nice on the 600s...  Can't wait to see it...  

timmy... u wanting an all blue cobra 800 for inside?
For the rear window...?  I'm kinda wanting an amber one...  But I'll take what I can get...  lol  

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
Been away for a bit but enjoyed catching up to your current built state. The overall plan seems to be coming together nicely.

Are all the T6s dummy heads? I like the idea of running a cobra 800 off the 4200 with dummy heads - I might go that direction soon as well due to the x10 flasher in mine is temperamental or I may just run it off the ULF44 that the tail light cannons are running on. We're you going with the cobra or Apollo version for the rear?

I look forward to your build continuance Timmy...

J

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
All the T-6s are actually the standard "smart" heads...  The ones in the grill are set to steady, but the ones on the Intersection bracket, and the ones in the rear side windows are running of their own flashers...  

As of right now, the build is at a stand still...  Gotta save up some more funds first...  I actually threw mt Whelen Responder on the roof for sh*ts and giggles...  And I'm in the process of building a custom bar that may or may not find its way on the roof...  lol

With the tint thats on all my windows, I plan on using a Cobra stick for the rear...

Reactions: NVFD612
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I ran a call early this morning with my "new" set-up...  LoL  Everyone was asking who the big blue blur was...  As if they didn't know...  lol

My "new" set-up is the same everything except I added a

36 Mini Day 01.jpg

The mags hold great (4 150# mags), but I have an extreme whistle at about 65...  lol  I need to put that plastic tube back in the channel in the base of the frame...  lol

Reactions: tsquale
May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I have a lip mount sitting on the shelf that I used on the Av...  Thats probably what I'll end up using...  i'm going to great lengths NOT to drill any holes in the Durango for a long while...  lol

Surgicalcric

Nov 28, 2013
Fort Walton Beach, FL
I have a lip mount sitting on the shelf that I used on the Av...  Thats probably what I'll end up using...  i'm going to great lengths NOT to drill any holes in the Durango for a long while...  lol
Vhf or uhf?

I had a lip mount on my 2500 but the ground plane caused me issues so I bought a no-ground plane antenna and it helped. Recently, w/i a week, I moved the antenna to the roof and it is night/day difference. I use the lip mount for 800mhz radio for now.

crt6mrt-265

May 23, 2010
Central NJ
now you need running boards with some blinkies  ORRRR the feniex rockers!!!!

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
now you need running boards with some blinkies  ORRRR the feniex rockers!!!!
Feniex Rockers was the original plan...  But since they are discontinued now, I'm not sure if I want to put anything down there...  I think once I get a bigger light for the rear side windows, I'm going to put the single T-6s on the B-pillar...  

I'm also still debating on keeping the 36" custom bar on the roof, putting the 48" custom bar on the roof, or going back slick-top...  Decisions, decisions...  

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
I'd put 2 Apollos down there and call it a day. As far as the bar goes, its a really nice custom build but I think it looks nicer as a slicktop

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I'd put 2 Apollos down there and call it a day. As far as the bar goes, its a really nice custom build but I think it looks nicer as a slicktop
I love the custom bars, however, I agree with FusionWolf. It looked a lot nicer as a slicktop
Yes, but its HIGHLY frowned upon/illegal for my to be slicktop...  lol  Although, I am moving back to my original FDs area where I don't get hassled as much...  lol  The 48" bar looks a little better than the 36".  Again, lord only knows what I'm going to do...  The main thing is I need to retrieve my mobile and start working on getting that installed, and deciding what antenna I want to use...  (No, I'm NOT drilling my roof...  Yes, I know that would yield me the best reception)

crt6mrt-265

May 23, 2010
Central NJ
I was thinking that about the PA 360 law, but because this is such a nice set up and nice thread I did not want to open up that can of worms. Maybe a mini bar?

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
Didn't Realize you needed a bar. Does your laws require it to be a single unit that's visible 360? My dept protocols require that a warning light be visible no matter the angle you view the vehicle. Not exactly sure how your laws are written.

The bar just looks a little awkward on top being a 36in bar. Would have loved to see your custom libby on your durango. As far as the mobile goes, a roof mount will yield the best reception, but maybe a mount on the fender by the hood. 

Yes, but its HIGHLY frowned upon/illegal for my to be slicktop...  lol  Although, I am moving back to my original FDs area where I don't get hassled as much...  lol  The 48" bar looks a little better than the 36".  Again, lord only knows what I'm going to do...  The main thing is I need to retrieve my mobile and start working on getting that installed, and deciding what antenna I want to use...  (No, I'm NOT drilling my roof...  Yes, I know that would yield me the best reception)

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
Yeah, the PA Blue Light Law reads to the effect of "1 roof mounted 360 light or lightbar and 1 other light source" or some bull shit...  LoL  

I got my mobile "loosely" installed...  For now I'm just using my lip mount on my hood.  I had just enough antenna and control cable to reach the rear where the radio body is.  The control head is sitting in the cubby hole beneath my 4200 head for now...  

Mobile 01.jpg

I'm thinking about making a custom fiberglass base for the 4200 head and mount it in that cubby hole and I want to mount the CDM head in the sunglass holder (overhead center console).  But I have to find a way to extend the mic jack from the sunglass holder down to the center console next to the 4200.  I thought I had a plan on how to do this, but the jacks aren't CAT5 like I thought...  lol

Sadly, there won't be hardly any work done to the Durango for a little while...

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
On extending the mic: I see that you have a DTMF mic on the CDM. If you do not use or need the DTMF, it is possible to extend the mic from the mic jack with a CAT-5, however there may be issues with electronic interference because the mic audio line would not be shielded in the CAT-5 cable. The longer the cable, the greater the liklihood of interference. If you try this, don't run out and purchase the the CAT-5/RJ-45 female to female adapter that you will need. I bought a pack of ten of them, only needing a couple for myself. I'll ship you one or two if you want to try this, no charge.

There is an alternative if you don't need the DTMF that will give you a sheilded mic line. A seller on Ebay called mre1032 sells a remote mic kit for the CDM's that is pretty much plug and play. It includes leads for a remote speaker and ignition sense. This seller is retired LE and has an excellent reputation in the Motorola radio community for the parts and accessories that he makes and sells. His items include programming instructions where needed as well. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cable-97-Remote-Mic-Mike-Extension-Motorola-CDM-CDM750-CDM1250-CDM1550-VHF-UHF-/120938110357

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I like that mic extension, but I was hoping to extend it from the radio face, not the radio body...  But it is an option I'll keep in the back of my mind...  

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
I like that mic extension, but I was hoping to extend it from the radio face, not the radio body...  But it is an option I'll keep in the back of my mind...  
I tested remoting the mic from the radio face with a CAT-5 cable and adapter. It works fine in my truck. If I did not already have mics with long coil cords, I'd definitely go this route for two of my radios.

The only remaining question is possible issues with the unshielded mic audio line in the Durango. The only way to know for sure is to hook it and test for a few days. If people don't complain about noise in your transmit audio, you'll be good to go.

All this presumes that you don't need the touch tone capability. The DTMF mic that you have uses the extra two pins in the wiring to control the tone generator in the radio. It's the standard DTMF mic for the CDM radios.

One other option is to get a DTMF mic that doesn't need the extra two pins. There are several Motorola mics that will do that. Then you can remote the mic with the CAT-5 and still generate tones.

The offer still stands for the female to female CAT-5 adapters.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I tested remoting the mic from the radio face with a CAT-5 cable and adapter. It works fine in my truck. If I did not already have mics with long coil cords, I'd definitely go this route for two of my radios.

The only remaining question is possible issues with the unshielded mic audio line in the Durango. The only way to know for sure is to hook it and test for a few days. If people don't complain about noise in your transmit audio, you'll be good to go.

All this presumes that you don't need the touch tone capability. The DTMF mic that you have uses the extra two pins in the wiring to control the tone generator in the radio. It's the standard DTMF mic for the CDM radios.

One other option is to get a DTMF mic that doesn't need the extra two pins. There are several Motorola mics that will do that. Then you can remote the mic with the CAT-5 and still generate tones.

The offer still stands for the female to female CAT-5 adapters.
I don't "need" to use the DTMF Mic...  Thats just the one I grabbed out of the box to use...  I hav e a standard mic as well.. . I'll have to do some tests with the CAT-5 and see if it works well...  

awe cute my truck is much nicer and it has a SIREN! and i get to use it for fires and such. :popcorn:
Yeah, but you're still a mexican mall cop...  lol

Reactions: PJD642

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
I don't "need" to use the DTMF Mic...  Thats just the one I grabbed out of the box to use...  I hav e a standard mic as well.. . I'll have to do some tests with the CAT-5 and see if it works well...  

Yeah, but you're still a mexican mall cop...  lol
Yes I am Mexican but im no mall cop im even worse...... Im a Deputy constable assigned to the Texas Attorney General Child Support division so that makes me even more evilerrrr  

Reactions: TritonBoulder47

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Yes I am Mexican but im no mall cop im even worse...... Im a Deputy constable assigned to the Texas Attorney General Child Support division so that makes me even more evilerrrr  
I have known you for like, 3 years.... And I still cannot believe they gave you a gun.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GSPS629

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.