Official "Whacker" or "Screwed Up Install" Thread

Is this the worst spotlight install you have ever seen?

• Yes

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • No

Votes: 37 78.7%

• Total voters
Ipuvaepe said:
EDIT: _85128, not sure of the first one. Could be an F or a commercial plate, but leaning towards commercial plate.
it's "C" over "L". Commercial plate but doesn't really mean it's owned by a company, most pickups and vans get those plates, I've even seen little Rangers and S10 pickups with the CL plates.

whatevah said:
it's "C" over "L". Commercial plate but doesn't really mean it's owned by a company, most pickups and vans get those plates, I've even seen little Rangers and S10 pickups with the CL plates.
Yep, that's what I meant.

WOW... my eyes were bleeding after watching his other videos! Who responds to the station with only clear busted ass china leds? Terrible! I mean what kind of FF does that sort of thing?

I laughed so hard I jizzed in my pants...

Hello everyone. Welcome to my Thread. This thread tells the story about a 2000 Crown Victoria. Well, it should really explain it self. This thread started out as a Spotlight issue Thread, then went into the pit... Well heres the story where it belongs. Please feel free to comment any helpful tips or tricks that may be helpful. I want to hear what you guys think of this. (Newest Part of Thread being the at the formost top of this thread.)

The Push Bumper

Ok, its black and has a push bumper. I personally love the Black CVPI’s with a push bumper. Well under further inspection, i have to come to the conclusion that the push bumper is not properly installed. Well its welded onto the bumper. (see pictures) Heres how it goes. Push Bumper+ 1 inch tube+ Front Bumper= :duh: Looks like the person who had installed on this car, did not know that the cracker jack he was doing. Im scattering tring to find a model on the push bumper, Its Go Rhino, but i cannot find a model, so there fore i am stuck at how to get the parts and do this one right. You can pick the push bumper up and move the whole bumper a while half inch. :duh: Yea, i know. Im kinda speechless at that. Maybe i take the push bumper off completely? Or weld guides/support on the bumper? I WILL NOT BE WELDING ONTO THE BUMPER, BUT ASSISTING IT STAYING UP, STILL BEING ABLE TO MOVE!! Yep. This is officially the most whacked CVPI i have ever delt with/ seen.

Bumper Connection mo.jpg

The Wiring...

While checking under the hood, i found a complete Cluster F:nono: :nono: :nono: of wires and unneeded componets. The connections where not connected properly (at least i think so) They where just soldered together...ALOT Of the wiring in this car is like this and only protected by electrical tape. Now i know this is old school, but personally i do not like it. Moving though the wiring i found a load of resistors and diodes, even a capacitor soldered in line. Now dont ask me what the hell there for. I was shocked as hell when i came across this. They went into a speaker that didn't work on the car. Needless to say i removed all components and cleaned it up alot. Looks a hell of alot better than before. (After Picture coming soon)

4.jpg

The Spotlight

Im fixing up an 2000 crown vic p71, and have been having trouble with the spotlight. Upon further investigation, i found this. :hopeless: (pictures below) Now heres what im asking. What can i do to fix this? It does’nt look right, nor does it work. :cry:Any suggestions? All help is appreciated. :hail: :)

DSCN4626.jpg

This is the door. It was hacked to hell. Looks like a shark ate it

DSCN4636.jpg

DSCN4624.jpg

DSCN4631.jpg

DSCN4640.jpg

1.jpg

2 mo.jpg

3 mo.jpg

L1.jpg

Push Bar Connected to bumper.jpg

Tubes Weled on mo.jpg

R 2 mo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Strobe Craft said:
Im fixing up an 2000 crown vic p71, and have been having trouble with the spotlight. Upon further investigation, i found this. :hopeless: (pictures below) Now heres what im asking. What can i do to fix this? It does’nt look right, nor does it work. :cry:Any suggestions? All help is appreciated. :hail: :)
View attachment 21150View attachment 21152View attachment 21151View attachment 21155

This is the door. It was hacked to hell. Looks like a shark ate it

View attachment 21153View attachment 21154

Try taking a wire and run it from the NEG of the battery, and run it to the bare metal shaft on the spotlight, and turn it on. If it works, then your not making a good ground contact with the frame. Also check to see if all your connections are good and fuses aren't blown.

calebsheltonmed23 said:
Try taking a wire and run it from the NEG of the battery, and run it to the bare metal shaft on the spotlight, and turn it on. If it works, then your not making a good ground contact with the frame. Also check to see if all your connections are good and fuses aren't blown.

Tested it, the bulb works. My question is how to mount it, as of now its just kinda sitting in there. There person who had the car before the department, installed the light. Any ideas on how to mount it right, and be secure to the point where i can use it? All it does is flop around. Does it look like its in the right place, and it just needs to be bolted in? Or am i suppose to have a metal plate on the outside of the light?

Looks like somebody installed a spotlight and had no idea what they were doing! :nono: I just installed a 2nd spotlight on my car and I can tell you it takes a good couple of hours to do it right if you have to drill the hole and everything. I'd take it to an upfitter and see what they can do.

Is it even wired up right or at all? Is it plugged into a factory wire?

heres what it should look like.

GEDC0231.jpg

GEDC0229.jpg

Wow, that is one of the worse hack jobs I have seen with a after factory spotlight install. I had a CVPI that was pretty bad, but nothing like that with a hole in the side of the pillar.

tbone745 said:
Looks like somebody installed a spotlight and had no idea what they were doing! :nono: I just installed a 2nd spotlight on my car and I can tell you it takes a good couple of hours to do it right if you have to drill the hole and everything. I'd take it to an upfitter and see what they can do.

Is it even wired up right or at all? Is it plugged into a factory wire?

heres what it should look like.

yea, you got that right. Looks inanely bad:duh:, and No, not hooked up to factory. Im trying at the moment just trying to stabilize this thing. looks like ill earthier have to really wing this one:undecided:, or take it to an upfitter, although i dont have the money to spend. Thanks for the picture. It gives me an idea of what its “suppose” to be. Appreciate it. Anyone have more pics of what it looks like on there car? just trying to use as a reference/ guide here.

K9Vic said:
Wow, that is one of the worse hack jobs I have seen with a after factory spotlight install. I had a CVPI that was pretty bad, but nothing like that with a hole in the side of the pillar.

It's very botched, and looks like someone had no tools what so ever while doing it. I've never installed a spotlight on a CVPI (has already been installed on all the ones I've messed with), but it looks like the spotlight isn't even being held in place. I'm thinking you might need a new pillar, but who knows.

Strobe Craft said:
yea, you got that right. Looks inanely bad:duh:, and No, not hooked up to factory. Im trying at the moment just trying to stabilize this thing. looks like ill earthier have to really wing this one:undecided:, or take it to an upfitter, although i dont have the money to spend. Thanks for the picture. It gives me an idea of what its “suppose” to be. Appreciate it. Anyone have more pics of what it looks like on there car? just trying to use as a reference/ guide here.

Yikes, well for now you can at least get a dremel tool and smooth out that door notch so the gromet fits over it the way it should. It's a pain in the a** to try to figure out whats wrong with it without getting my hands on it, but I will try to explain it to you. Does the light fall under it's own weight or does it stay in place? If it falls and/or moves around you need to tighten the bolts and screws until its snug enough to stay it place but not to tight to where you would have to use force to move it. The handle could also not be installed right. If too much or too little of the shaft is moved in the wrong direction, the spotlight will flop around in the wind.

You might want to rewire it yourself. Judging by the looks of the spotlight and a hole that shouldn't be there I could only imagine what kind of electrical work this guy did.

tbone745 said:
Yikes, well for now you can at least get a dremel tool and smooth out that door notch so the gromet fits over it the way it should. It's a pain in the a** to try to figure out whats wrong with it without getting my hands on it, but I will try to explain it to you. Does the light fall under it's own weight or does it stay in place? If it falls and/or moves around you need to tighten the bolts and screws until its snug enough to stay it place but not to tight to where you would have to use force to move it. The handle could also not be installed right. If too much or too little of the shaft is moved in the wrong direction, the spotlight will flop around in the wind.

Well i believe that i need to start by actually attaching the light to the pillar. (Saw that it wasn't even attached, like it was just put in there, but not fastened.) after that i can go about dremeling the door, get a new grommet, as the current one is bent to hell in a cretin point. Or maybe i try to heat it up a little, and reconform it possibly?? as for the light it self, i believe i should by trying to attach it to the pillar, than worry about power/sealing issues later? i was thinking running a ground and positive to it to, as my frame doesn't seem to have a good ground. This is what i was just thinking about. And then i was wondering if how i can maybe, possibly patch up that shark gash in the pillar?

Strobe Craft said:
Well i believe that i need to start by actually attaching the light to the pillar. (Saw that it wasn't even attached, like it was just put in there, but not fastened.) after that i can go about dremeling the door, get a new grommet, as the current one is bent to hell in a cretin point. Or maybe i try to heat it up a little, and reconform it possibly?? as for the light it self, i believe i should by trying to attach it to the pillar, than worry about power/sealing issues later? i was thinking running a ground and positive to it to, as my frame doesn't seem to have a good ground. This is what i was just thinking about. And then i was wondering if how i can maybe, possibly patch up that shark gash in the pillar?

Yeah bolt up those two holes above and below the shaft on the pillar. Try going to the junkyard for the grommet. There's always old vics there with the grommets and various spotlight parts and mounts. Try going to a body shop or find a someone who can weld and patch that sucker up. That might be the worst spotlight install job I've ever seen!

tbone745 said:
Yeah bolt up those two holes above and below the shaft on the pillar. Try going to the junkyard for the grommet. There's always old vics there with the grommets and various spotlight parts and mounts. Try going to a body shop or find a someone who can weld and patch that sucker up. That might be the worst spotlight install job I've ever seen!

When you say above and below the shaft pillar, do you mean the one on the inside of the car, cause that the only one i have, is there suppose to be something else on the outside of the light? i saw some had a chrome thing of sorts, but i have seen some to that do not have that earthier.

Strobe Craft said:
When you say above and below the shaft pillar, do you mean the one on the inside of the car, cause that the only one i have, is there suppose to be something else on the outside of the light? i saw some had a chrome thing of sorts, but i have seen some to that do not have that earthier.

Yes the inside of the car. As far as the outside, I myself have seen misc pieces but it all depends on the install kit for the car it's going on. My pics are from a Crown Vic so that's just what yours should look like.

Next in line, we have this one. While waiting for a client at a Walgreens, (they were doing a radio promo) I see this thing pull into the parking lot. I just couldn't resist.......

ai211.photobucket.com_albums_bb98_playsinmud_2011_11_20_16_58_23_82.jpg

ai211.photobucket.com_albums_bb98_playsinmud_2011_11_20_16_58_05_565.jpg

ai211.photobucket.com_albums_bb98_playsinmud_2011_11_20_16_57_58_527.jpg

ai211.photobucket.com_albums_bb98_playsinmud_2011_11_20_16_57_53_267.jpg

ai211.photobucket.com_albums_bb98_playsinmud_2011_11_20_16_56_00_787.jpg

ai211.photobucket.com_albums_bb98_playsinmud_2011_11_20_16_55_44_209.jpg

Okay, it possibly could be legit, right? Then this dude and his kids get out......

ai211.photobucket.com_albums_bb98_playsinmud_2011_11_20_16_55_41_37.jpg

Ummmm, sketchy much?

DAMN i would of sooooo done a traffic stop on his ass.

Blade Runner said:
Next in line, we have this one. While waiting for a client at a Walgreens, (they were doing a radio promo) I see this thing pull into the parking lot. I just couldn't resist.......

Okay, it possibly could be legit, right? Then this dude and his kids get out......

Ummmm, sketchy much?

There are hundreds just like this here in Fort Worth. I also notice a growing number of ex-LEO POV black & white CVPIs being driven around.

Retired1 said:
There are hundreds just like this here in Fort Worth. I also notice a growing number of ex-LEO POV black & white CVPIs being driven around.

They are too cheap or lazy to get it painted, but it is not illegal in Texas like California. There is a B&W CVPI near me that was actually used on the TV Show Chase as a Texas DPS car, they guy bought it from the production company that supplied the cars to the show. They sold off many of the cars when the show was canceled, along with Lone Star and Good Guys.

You know, some people actually like the way two-tone paint jobs look.

didnt take the time to see if this has been posted, but holy crap!

Love the Kustom radar...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scannerdude