Wilson LED conversions - multiple models and repair

Bogie

Jan 19, 2012
Queens,NY
Ever crack open a SoundOff Ghost yet ? Looking to swap from white to red don't know what diode there using or if it's potted.

Ozzy8585

Jan 29, 2011
Ontario County, NY
No bump since october. Dang

Not much is new. Still working on concept lights if anyone has some general Ideas what you would like to see. 2x5 or whelen 500 size, 3x7 or whelen 700series drop in replacements as take down/scene lighting etc?

I can make corner and 500 modules split color with split control. Can add this on to existing modules. Corners I can make up to quad color with quad control. Or single. Color with quad control, or anywhere in between.
I'm was thinking of changing over some of my 700series to white for scene lighting or split warning/scene. Just wasn't sure if they would be bright enough to work as scene lighting. Also looking for a cheaper alternative for LED takedowns for my liberty. Any ideas?

Edmontonsecurity

May 21, 2014
Alberta canada
I have a whelen 8 head arrow stick linear amber lightbar, would be really cool if I could have the dual color function on the corner modules (far left and far right) to add to my red lighting.

what would be the process and such to do this with my bar?

What would you need me to do?

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
I'm was thinking of changing over some of my 700series to white for scene lighting or split warning/scene. Just wasn't sure if they would be bright enough to work as scene lighting. Also looking for a cheaper alternative for LED takedowns for my liberty. Any ideas?
They are pretty bright. The beam is workable. I have a spare one laying around. Maybe I'll change it to white and take some pictures

As far as takedowns in a liberty. I built two bars for local guys. One uses tir6s and the other lin6s. Both guys have had compliments from others saying how bright and noticeable those white heads are.

Send me a pair of halogen td's and a pair of tir6 or lin6s and I'll make them plug and play, I may even have a few of the connectors for takedown laying around

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
I have a whelen 8 head arrow stick linear amber lightbar, would be really cool if I could have the dual color function on the corner modules (far left and far right) to add to my red lighting.

what would be the process and such to do this with my bar?

What would you need me to do?
It wouldn't be dual, it would be split. Feel free to pm me and we can discuss what you'd like further.

TheCrownie

Sep 18, 2014
Ohio, USA & Germany
I just got a pretty cool idea while looking for 500 V series. It can also be done with ION V's or any other V series light. 

What about replacing the white takedown with amber and using them as a turn signal with mirror beam or sidekick housings?

I don't know if this can be done but it'd be also nice if you can split the takedown led's into white and amber and control them separate. This way you'd have both takedown and turn functionality. 

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Wilson is currently making me a FRANKENSTINE Stinger streamlight flashlight !!! my LED burned out in it and he is putting in a MONSTER LED I cant wait!

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
I was actually going to announce this after I get the new led in.

Original led was a 198lumen cree xr style. I had a spare xr in the 220lumen variety. That was an improvement.

I was just about to ship it back when I had the inspiration.

I'm going to retrofit it to fit a cree xp g. This is a 480 lumen output led with the same power draw as the old 198lumen led, but almost 2.5× the output.

Will try to do some before and after pictures once I get it done

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
I was actually going to announce this after I get the new led in.

Original led was a 198lumen cree xr style. I had a spare xr in the 220lumen variety. That was an improvement.

I was just about to ship it back when I had the inspiration.

I'm going to retrofit it to fit a cree xp g. This is a 480 lumen output led with the same power draw as the old 198lumen led, but almost 2.5× the output.

Will try to do some before and after pictures once I get it done
Think you can convert a non led model to led?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Think you can convert a non led model to led?
You can, by buying an LED one. :)  

He would need a circuit board etc to mount too.  The traditional ones are just bulb to battery with springs and wires via a switch.  It's less trouble to buy a LED one than try to find and stuff the guts in I'm sure.

Right Wilson?  

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
You can, by buying an LED one. :)

He would need a circuit board etc to mount too. The traditional ones are just bulb to battery with springs and wires via a switch. It's less trouble to buy a LED one than try to find and stuff the guts in I'm sure.

Right Wilson?
I've seen led conversion kits.. was kind of hoping Wilson can jerry rig something instead of going that route.

This streamlight is brand new in the box. Gifted to me but I'm not using it since it's not led.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
The real issue is the reflector design. We all know that halogen reflectors and led reflectors vary greatly.

The nice thing with an led flashlight, especially the stinger models is that they use whatever battery voltage needed to run the led, for instance Garza's is a 4.3v.

Shoot me a pm unlisted with a model number or some pictures. Maybe I can hook you up

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: unlisted

Edmontonsecurity

May 21, 2014
Alberta canada
Wilson,

I believe I inquired once already, just curious what cost would be to replace a whelen talon lighting (mn date 08) leds from R B to Amber White.

Along with that, what would be your zip so I can get shippinh quotes done up.

Do I have to physically take the light apart or can I just send you the dash light?

firecop604

Dec 11, 2010
MD
Do you have any pics or vids of the eflood4200 in use? I'm interested and would like to see maybe red / blue with the floods.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Yes I can work on ROC boards. I may or may not be able to test them without all the necessary components to run the bar.

Populating I am not sure of. I believe not since if I recall correctly, each module has a computer chip to control it, and without that chip they would not function

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
How about an update.

I cannot do code 3 tricore heads. I have gotten to have one hands on and they are the craziest design for leds I've seen yet. If you have one that's half out, there is a very slim chance I may be able to fix it though.

I've been moving forward with my liberty styled light module. It will either snap into the buckets in the bar or slide into the bar groove. I haven't decided on that factor yet. It comes down to how much clearence I'll have with the led lenses.

It will be a 12 diode narrow to medium TIR design. Very similar to the high output takedown modules(sxtled)

13TTPP

Feb 11, 2016
San Antonio, Tx
Hey Brian I'm about to ship you 4 CON3 boards (2r/2b) & a mini justice 6 diode corner module in red. They have to star based LED's in them. The bar must have been subjected to some kind of trauma as the blue con3 and one of the Reds stopped working and 1/2 of the corner module. Just want them all replaced with same color diodes and I'm sure you'll test for function and let me know if there's a problem. It's sad that Whelen didn't want to work with me under warranty as the bar is only about 6 years old. I'm glad you are available to fix this stuff.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Brian converted some Blue/Amber Whelen DUO heads for me to Blue/White. The white is so intense these can easily be used for takedowns or in my application; flood lights

The Whelen CON3 you see pictured were also converted from amber to blue. Notice how much deeper a blue they are vs stock whelen blue

Reactions: Grotonems5

Fighting17th

Jan 19, 2012
PA, Washington County
Just another free bump.

Had a PowerArc perimeter light changed out from blue to red to donate to my fire department for a LED upgrade. Looks great!

I know you said this was your first PowerArc so I just wanted to let you know it turned out great.

I'll try to get some pictures soon. I forgot to take some as I was installing them.

Reactions: wilsonbr90

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.